Nadal's schedule for 2017

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Given that Rafa was upset at Wimbledon four years in a row by players ranked #100 or lower, I think his chances are pretty low of winning that tournament again. That said, the mantra has always been, "If only he can get out of the first week, when the grass is worn a bit."

One of those 4 years upset was in R4, which is at the beginning of the second week, and he still lost. That was the defeat by Kyrgios.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Excellent. I for one will be happy to not see that twa* in the stands.

I see worst than him in the stands :(:nono

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
El Dude said:
Given that Rafa was upset at Wimbledon four years in a row by players ranked #100 or lower, I think his chances are pretty low of winning that tournament again. That said, the mantra has always been, "If only he can get out of the first week, when the grass is worn a bit."

One of those 4 years upset was in R4, which is at the beginning of the second week, and he still lost. That was the defeat by Kyrgios.

Man, you really are nitpicky! ;) Anyhow, I generally think of the first week as the first four rounds and the second week as the quarterfinals and later. I suppose the 4R could be considered the axis point.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
herios said:
El Dude said:

Man, you really are nitpicky! ;) Anyhow, I generally think of the first week as the first four rounds and the second week as the quarterfinals and later. I suppose the 4R could be considered the axis point.

Not as much nitpicky, rather pointing to a fact. At Wimbledon, R4 never starts in the first week, because they are not playing on Sundays.
I always consider R4 part of the second week, that is when the field is trimmed down to only 16 players and matches are becoming a lot tougher.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Except for Wafa. He's happy as a pig in $h1t when the grass is no longer grass in week 2. Makes him feel at home playing in the muck.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
That's comical stuff AP. Wimbledon changed the surface a long time ago to help guys like Rafa who would have had no chance to do well on grass in the old days. The surface is slower and bounces higher than it used to. A change that helped Rafa and hurt Roger. On 90's grass Rafa would have zero titles, most likely zero finals even and Roger would be sitting on 9-10 Wimbledon's.
Hey Darth. You and I know it was good for the game with the longer rallies and the higher percentage shots:clap . Yeah it's comical but it's time that Wimbledon showed some more love to accommodate our clay court brothers.:snicker

I disagree it was a good change. With racquet technology and evolution we may have been headed to a place where we have more rallies at Wimbledon anyways. And changing the court and going to a heavier ball is majorly accommodating to clay courters. There is no doubt it hurt Roger too as he is strongest when the ball bounces faster and lower.

The finals at Wimbledon have been a lot better and interesting to watch since 2006, there's no doubt about that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
DarthFed said:

I agree, I prefer Toni to be there. Carol if it's a major, Toni will be there..no doubt.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Hey Darth. You and I know it was good for the game with the longer rallies and the higher percentage shots:clap . Yeah it's comical but it's time that Wimbledon showed some more love to accommodate our clay court brothers.:snicker

I disagree it was a good change. With racquet technology and evolution we may have been headed to a place where we have more rallies at Wimbledon anyways. And changing the court and going to a heavier ball is majorly accommodating to clay courters. There is no doubt it hurt Roger too as he is strongest when the ball bounces faster and lower.

The finals at Wimbledon have been a lot better and interesting to watch since 2006, there's no doubt about that.

Not sure I agree, there have been plenty of duds since then and maybe 4 classics (2007-2009 and 2014). I rather there be more variety in the surfaces and see shotmaking get rewarded.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
El Dude said:

And of course if anyone can pull off a massive surprise, it is Rafa.

Anyhow, I think Rafa wants to win ANY Slam, and knows that RG is his best so will optimize his chances. If he doesn't win RG, he'll go for Wimby but with one eye on the US Open, as he has a better chance there.
PS. everything can happen, more massive surprise that Roger winning the AO?

Roger has won AO four times and AO is most consistent slam and you come up with the remark that roger winning AO is more massive surprise. ... To boot it you are saying it in the context of Rafa possibly winning Wimbledon :snicker:cover

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I've just read that Uncle Toni will finish his job as coach next year and then to dedicate full time in the Rafa's Academy

Is it only the coach or his pupil too that is quitting at end of 2018. :puzzled

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I've just read that Uncle Toni will finish his job as coach next year and then to dedicate full time in the Rafa's Academy

The way I understand Toni's article, his last year coaching Rafa is 2017 and by 2018 he will have moved on.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Carol35 said:

The way I understand Toni's article, his last year coaching Rafa is 2017 and by 2018 he will have moved on.

Let me put it in this way, he is going to coach Rafa for one more year and I meant he won't be his coach the next year

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

Is it only the coach or his pupil too that is quitting at end of 2018. :puzzled

For to your misfortune his pupil will continue playing. Remember what I said before and I keep it, your fav player will retire pretty soon

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
DarthFed said:

I agree, I prefer Toni to be there. Carol if it's a major, Toni will be there..no doubt.
I meant in others stands :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

Not sure I agree, there have been plenty of duds since then and maybe 4 classics (2007-2009 and 2014). I rather there be more variety in the surfaces and see shotmaking get rewarded.

Not as many duds that were in the 90s or 2000 pre Rafa years..the change in surface has been a welcome changed..

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Carol35 said:
I understand that the Wimbledon surface started to change at the beginning of the 2000-2002 so I don't know what was the help to Nadal when he was at that time only 17 years old :snicker
And my question is if the player is better because he plays better on a fast surface? and why?

They didn't change the surface with the intention of helping Rafa and other clay courters and hurting Roger. They did it to promote longer rallies and obviously the higher and slower bounce suited some players more than others.
I was wrong with the Rafa's age, in 2000-2002 he was 13-15 years old ;) :snicker

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
It will be interesting to see how it affects Rafa.
This one could only hope that it inspires Rafa to play a bit looser. I think most of a Rafa's fans feel that if he would just open up his shoulders and unleash and unload on the ball, his results would be more to his liking. What the Hell do he has to loose!

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's very obvious that they had well planed this for awhile and that's why Moya came to the team, Uncle Toni can attend better the Academy, spending more time with his family because he knows that Rafa doesn't need him so much anymore having his new coach which they (Rafa and Toni) have all the confidence on him. But it doesn't mean he won't be in the team anymore, he will but in diferent way and not traveling so much

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, is there room for a celebrity coach in Rafa's team now. Before the argument was that there would be a clash of egos if you have both Uncle Toni and a celebrity coach on the team. Now, that argument is no longer valid. If there is room, who do you think would be an ideal celebrity coach for Rafa?