Nadal's Schedule for 2014

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has announced that he will play Miami in 2014.

“I was very disappointed that I was not able to attend last year’s tournament and am looking forward to returning in 2014. I love to play in Miami because of its beautiful location and tremendous fans support. it’s an international city, and the diverse crowds that attend the tournament create an unbelievable atmosphere. I am excited to see all my fans in Miami this year.”

With this announcement, the mystry out of Rafa's schedule is completely gone.
I am giving below the expected schedule of Rafa in 2014 (although this is not publicly
announced by his team and hence should not be considered official by any means).

1. Doha
2. AO
3. Buenos Aires (Clay ATP 250 in Argentina, SA)
4. Rio de Janiero (New ATP 500 Clay tournament in Brazil, South America)
5. IW
6. Miami
7. Monte Carlo
8. Barcelona
9. Madrid
10. Rome
11. FO
12. Halle (switching to Halle due to Tax Problems with UK and gets to torment RF)
13. Wimbledon
14. Toronto
15. Cincy
16. USO
17. Shanghai
18. Basel (gets huge appearance fee, surface is similar to WTF and gets to torment RF)
19. Paris
20. WTF

That is a full schedule and considering he is in his prime, he would want to play full
schedule. It includes all four GS, all eight mandatory MS, four ATP 500 or equivalent
(Monte Carlo, Rio, Barcelona and Basel) and two ATP 250 (Doha and Halle).

The only unknown at this time is whether he will play in DC and if so to what extent.
My guess is that he will play some, as little as needed by the Spanish team. If Spanish
Team thinks his services are really needed to win a tie, he will play and otherwise he
will skip. He would certainly be more than willing to play in SF and F of DC (if Spain
gets thus far) as these two happen after all the four slams are over and hence
cannot affect his personal agenda too much.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This would mean there are exactly two tournaments that Roger plays (unless he
throws Estoril in his schedule) in which he gets a Rafa free field. They are Brisbane
and Dubai. He should make sure to win at least these two titles.

He should especially win Brisbane as he is the only top 10 player there.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No Beijing? And only one South American clay tourney (which is one more than I'd like, to be honest)...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
No Beijing? And only one South American clay tourney (which is one more than I'd like, to be honest)...

Last year he played multiple SA tournaments, as he was coming after a long lay off.
These are clay tournaments with weak fields and so serves the purpose of getting
his confidence up. I don't expect him to play more than one in SA.

But, there is a possibility that he may play in Buenos Aires as it is the week
before Rio. Also, as he did not play there in 2013, they might be willing to shed
million bucks to entice Rafa. If they offer huge appearance fees, Rafa will take it
and play.

He surely will not be playing in Chile and Sao Paulo as they must have
already gone bankrupt paying Rafa's appearance fee in 2013.

He does not need Beijing any more. Last year he played 17 tournaments only.
The above list already has 19 tournaments. He would not want to overdo it, if
he is smart. His team is certainly becoming smart with scheduling these days
(in contrast to few years ago). In particular skipping AO and starting in SA
clay tournaments with weak fields is a brilliant move by his team in 2013.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, he skipped AO because he came down with a bug before it that ruined his training, so he was wise to delay his return. It was a smart move by his team, and playing 19 events next year - with maybe one or two skipped - would be wise. You're right about SA, and I'm glad he didn't feel obliged in anyway.

I know, players usually only feel obliged when there's a forklift of cash waiting off the plane...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Well, he skipped AO because he came down with a bug before it that ruined his training, so he was wise to delay his return. It was a smart move by his team, and playing 19 events next year - with maybe one or two skipped - would be wise. You're right about SA, and I'm glad he didn't feel obliged in anyway.

I know, players usually only feel obliged when there's a forklift of cash waiting off the plane...

He came down with a bug and therefore skipped Doha. I believe his team decided to
skip AO deliberately as he did not have match practice and coming in after a long time.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is something for the Rafa fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOjpmsmJUqI

I think that the other anchor is Cali

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
he will skip Miami if he wins indian wells again.

I am hoping that he plays Miami because it a great tournament to attend but I would if his knees are cranky. skip it

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
rafa cannot play everywhere..after AO he is playing at least one clay tourney thae new atp500 at Rio,

the big question is if rafa/wafa will play indian wells before Miami.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a small clarification. Full schedule does not mean one plays every week when
there is a tournament. Full schedule in the Original Posting means that he is playing the
maximum number of torunaments such that all points earned will be counted for the ATP
ranking.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
It was announced that he's playing in Argentina, the week before Rio. Soooo add that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
zalvar said:
It was announced that he's playing in Argentina, the week before Rio. Soooo add that.

Thanks zalvar. I am sure he is getting a huge sum over there. I wish there was a rule
which forces these tournaments to make that information public.

http://www.euronews.com/sport/2242674-nadal-to-return-to-buenos-aires-event-after-nine-years/

Here is an article with the announcement.

I am now fixing the OP.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think by the end of 2014, Nadal would need another 7 month break as his knees would
give up by then.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I think by the end of 2014, Nadal would need another 7 month break as his knees would
give up by then.

The guy should skip Halle. And he did good skipping Beijing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
give up by then.

I don't see any point in anticipating injury. That seems a bit crabby and inviting of ill-will.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In all seriousness, Nadal doesn't need to play all of these minor clay tournaments. Let's hope he doesn't get too fatigue by the time Wimbledon comes around. Eleven tournaments before Wimbledon is a lot especially a player like Nadal who often goes deep in every tournament.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
give up by then.

I don't see any point in anticipating injury. That seems a bit crabby and inviting of ill-will.

It was just an off the cuff remark and I do not wish that Nadal be injured. Tennis is
more fun if all of them are in action and not disabled.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
give up by then.

It was just an off the cuff remark and I do not wish that Nadal be injured. Tennis is
more fun if all of them are in action and not disabled.

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but it does get to be an easy trope to say that Nadal will overwork himself into injury again. I'm with you in hoping the top guys all stay healthy next year, and then some.