Nadal's schedule for 2017

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Though I'd love to see Rafa playing in Miami (which is the only MS he has not under his belt) I rather if he would play in IW, skipping Miami and starting to practice on clay. I'm glad that he will play in Queens before Wimbledon leaving behind the past bad matches

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Nay, lads and lasses, I don't agree with any narrative that suggests that Rafa is reliant upon a big make-or-break season on clay, at all.

I've long held the belief that if Rafa gets back to his best, then he's a serious threat anywhere, and can win any of the 4 majors. We saw this hinted most starkly in Oz, where his great form and amazing run wasn't on the back of any great success on clay. In fact, departing the FO injured after two victorious rounds gave him nothing to build on, and in fact only added to his injury woes over the last 5 years. He skipped Wimbo too, and struggled for the rest of the season, eventually calling it a day before the season ended, to tend to his wrist.

The idea that a disaster in Paris is a potential nail in the coffin for him elsewhere is contradicted by his performance in oz.

I would agree, however, that his schedule looks ambitious, and most likely hypothetical (already skipping Rotterdam shows that he's listening to his body when it yawns out loud for rest), and I agree also that he should play little outside the big tournaments, and should also skip Madrid...

In all the years in which Rafa did not win RG, he did not win any other big title that year. While I agree that the sample size here is too less (2009, 2015 and 2016), that is a significant trend. If Rafa cannot win RG this year (I don't care what is the reason, injury, exhaustion, bad play), there is a high chance that he is not going to do anything this year.

Of course, one should not write him off for good even if he does not win RG. But, at least we can write him off for this year.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You can't write him off for this year, Australia has proven that. I'm not saying he'll win anything, by the way, I've already laid out my caveats, and I'm not putting all my eggs in one Australian basket, but he may not win RG and yet still recapture his Oz form - or hopefully better - and win Wimbledon or the USO. His run in Oz wasn't predicated on a morale boosting FO.

Or we may notice earlier than RG that Oz was an outlier and he's not up to winning anything big anymore. In that case, it wouldn't be because he failed on clay, but simply that his time is gone, and age has caught up with him, as it naturally does with all great players at his stage of life...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
Nay, lads and lasses, I don't agree with any narrative that suggests that Rafa is reliant upon a big make-or-break season on clay, at all.

I've long held the belief that if Rafa gets back to his best, then he's a serious threat anywhere, and can win any of the 4 majors. We saw this hinted most starkly in Oz, where his great form and amazing run wasn't on the back of any great success on clay. In fact, departing the FO injured after two victorious rounds gave him nothing to build on, and in fact only added to his injury woes over the last 5 years. He skipped Wimbo too, and struggled for the rest of the season, eventually calling it a day before the season ended, to tend to his wrist.

The idea that a disaster in Paris is a potential nail in the coffin for him elsewhere is contradicted by his performance in oz.

I would agree, however, that his schedule looks ambitious, and most likely hypothetical (already skipping Rotterdam shows that he's listening to his body when it yawns out loud for rest), and I agree also that he should play little outside the big tournaments, and should also skip Madrid...

In all the years in which Rafa did not win RG, he did not win any other big title that year. While I agree that the sample size here is too less (2009, 2015 and 2016), that is a significant trend. If Rafa cannot win RG this year (I don't care what is the reason, injury, exhaustion, bad play), there is a high chance that he is not going to do anything this year.

Of course, one should not write him off for good even if he does not win RG. But, at least we can write him off for this year.

He won AO 2009 but later he lost RG. Anyway I don't think RG is the only tournament that works like a spring on him, on the contrary any other GS could give him even more motivation like the AO for the second time and I'm sure he would be very happy winning Wimbledon or USO

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
That's an ominous analogy, AP!

I tend to agree with both you and Kieran, or at least think it is a middle ground. I think doing well in clay season - winning at least one, if not two of the big titles, will help carry him for the rest of the year. But if he doesn't win any of the big titles, or say only one Masters, I don't think he'll be as much discouraged as determined.

That said, if he only wins a single Masters or less, that would point to real decline, and perhaps his AO surge being somewhat of a mirage, or at least false hope, and we might have to accept a level closer to 2016.

El Dude..I think it's fair to set the expectations for Rafa high although Rafa said a month ago that he really needs to after Miami to properly access what his goals should be for the season. When you are playing on championship Sunday final, up 3-1 in the 5 set at the first major of the major of the year..the bar has already been set.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

He won AO 2009 but later he lost RG. Anyway I don't think RG is the only tournament that works like a spring on him, on the contrary any other GS could give him even more motivation like the AO for the second time and I'm sure he would be very happy winning Wimbledon or USO
Unless the raise the level of the height of the grass, Rafa chances on that slick turf isn't that high. No way in Hades are they gonna do that...they will do everything in their power to ensure that the conditions are very favorable for the Beloved One.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
You can't write him off for this year, Australia has proven that. I'm not saying he'll win anything, by the way, I've already laid out my caveats, and I'm not putting all my eggs in one Australian basket, but he may not win RG and yet still recapture his Oz form - or hopefully better - and win Wimbledon or the USO. His run in Oz wasn't predicated on a morale boosting FO.

Or we may notice earlier than RG that Oz was an outlier and he's not up to winning anything big anymore. In that case, it wouldn't be because he failed on clay, but simply that his time is gone, and age has caught up with him, as it naturally does with all great players at his stage of life...

Nah.you can't write Rafa or Roger of ever..this was all so very evident at this year's first major. If you recalled..I stated if all conditions hold true meaning (no injuries or etc) these two players have more God given talent which will propelled them into the later rounds. (herios was quick to be dismissive but it is what it is with that poster who wants to the old guard at the top dismantled.)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Unless the raise the level of the height of the grass, Rafa chances on that slick turf isn't that high. No way in Hades are they gonna do that...they will do everything in their power to ensure that the conditions are very favorable for the Beloved One.

If he has won twice why he couldn't win the third? I know later he didn't play well on grass but I don't think it would be impossible. I understand what you mean but the "good luck" never is on the same side and not even with the best conditions :plot :nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

Nah.you can't write Rafa or Roger of ever..this was all so very evident at this year's first major. If you recalled..I stated if all conditions hold true meaning (no injuries or etc) these two players have more God given talent which will propelled them into the later rounds. (herios was quick to be dismissive but it is what it is with that poster who wants to the old guard at the top dismantled.)

I am not talking about writing off forever. I am talking about writing off Rafa for the rest of the year, if he does not win RG (or at least two clay masters).

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

I am not talking about writing off forever. I am talking about writing off Rafa for the rest of the year, if he does not win RG (or at least two clay masters).

I see clearly that you are not expecting too much of him but it seems that he can do more than that

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:

I see clearly that you are not expecting too much of him but it seems that he can do more than that

No, No, I am expecting a lot from him this year. But, if he does not win RG or if he does not at least two of the three clay masters, I am willing to write him off for the rest of this year (not necessarily forever).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

That's comical stuff AP. Wimbledon changed the surface a long time ago to help guys like Rafa who would have had no chance to do well on grass in the old days. The surface is slower and bounces higher than it used to. A change that helped Rafa and hurt Roger. On 90's grass Rafa would have zero titles, most likely zero finals even and Roger would be sitting on 9-10 Wimbledon's.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Given that Rafa was upset at Wimbledon four years in a row by players ranked #100 or lower, I think his chances are pretty low of winning that tournament again. That said, the mantra has always been, "If only he can get out of the first week, when the grass is worn a bit."

And of course if anyone can pull off a massive surprise, it is Rafa.

Anyhow, I think Rafa wants to win ANY Slam, and knows that RG is his best so will optimize his chances. If he doesn't win RG, he'll go for Wimby but with one eye on the US Open, as he has a better chance there.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

That's comical stuff AP. Wimbledon changed the surface a long time ago to help guys like Rafa who would have had no chance to do well on grass in the old days. The surface is slower and bounces higher than it used to. A change that helped Rafa and hurt Roger. On 90's grass Rafa would have zero titles, most likely zero finals even and Roger would be sitting on 9-10 Wimbledon's.
Hey Darth. You and I know it was good for the game with the longer rallies and the higher percentage shots:clap . Yeah it's comical but it's time that Wimbledon showed some more love to accommodate our clay court brothers.:snicker

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I understand that the Wimbledon surface started to change at the beginning of the 2000-2002 so I don't know what was the help to Nadal when he was at that time only 13-15 years old :snicker
And my question is if the player is better because he plays better on a fast surface? and why?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Given that Rafa was upset at Wimbledon four years in a row by players ranked #100 or lower, I think his chances are pretty low of winning that tournament again. That said, the mantra has always been, "If only he can get out of the first week, when the grass is worn a bit."

And of course if anyone can pull off a massive surprise, it is Rafa.

Anyhow, I think Rafa wants to win ANY Slam, and knows that RG is his best so will optimize his chances. If he doesn't win RG, he'll go for Wimby but with one eye on the US Open, as he has a better chance there.
PS. everything can happen, more massive surprise that Roger winning the AO?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:

Hey Darth. You and I know it was good for the game with the longer rallies and the higher percentage shots:clap . Yeah it's comical but it's time that Wimbledon showed some more love to accommodate our clay court brothers.:snicker

I disagree it was a good change. With racquet technology and evolution we may have been headed to a place where we have more rallies at Wimbledon anyways. And changing the court and going to a heavier ball is majorly accommodating to clay courters. There is no doubt it hurt Roger too as he is strongest when the ball bounces faster and lower.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I understand that the Wimbledon surface started to change at the beginning of the 2000-2002 so I don't know what was the help to Nadal when he was at that time only 17 years old :snicker
And my question is if the player is better because he plays better on a fast surface? and why?

They didn't change the surface with the intention of helping Rafa and other clay courters and hurting Roger. They did it to promote longer rallies and obviously the higher and slower bounce suited some players more than others.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've just read that Uncle Toni will finish his job as coach next year and then to dedicate full time in the Rafa's Academy

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Excellent. I for one will be happy to not see that twa* in the stands.