Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw Thiem up the early break, too, then I had to leave it. Very surprising, especially in straights.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Delpo takes out Thiem 7/6 6/3... Shocked... but only because I thought Delpo wasn't back to that degree, glad to see...

wow. that is an upset of a sort.

the Austrian may be a little bit weary also at this time.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
del potroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:dance2::dance2::dance3::drums::dance2:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
borna coric wasted mal aggro who was prob tired after his sunday title run..

good news for "the boy from space" (I called him that before, dunno why tho) next up a clash with Djokovic.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
wow. that is an upset of a sort.

the Austrian may be a little bit weary also at this time.

I just heard that he's passed Djokovic with most match wins on tour this year. (29 to ND's 28.) So, yes, probably a little tired, but excellent win for Delpo, who needs it, and Thiem could probably stand to rest up for Rome and RG. Good all around!

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just heard that he's passed Djokovic with most match wins on tour this year. (29 to ND's 28.) So, yes, probably a little tired, but excellent win for Delpo, who needs it, and Thiem could probably stand to rest up for Rome and RG. Good all around!

that may not be entirely accurate. we will have to double check.

djokovic may have more match wins.

davis cup: and some matches are long and grueling.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I looked it up on the ATP website. Djokovic 28-2. Thiem 29-8. Maybe with DC a fine-point, but it's an impressive, and likely draining year so far for Thiem. And people are putting him into the conversation on clay. The guy has a lot to absorb.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, I looked it up on the ATP website. Djokovic 28-2. Thiem 29-8. Maybe with DC a fine-point, but it's an impressive, and likely draining year so far for Thiem. And people are putting him into the conversation on clay. The guy has a lot to absorb.
There is always a tendency of bandwagoning after a couple of good events. Thiem is improved but he has to pace himself.
He just got beaten back to back by Kohli and Delpo, so it is not exactly all serene for him.
I do not see him a this year being a decisive factor at RG, a QF appearance will be very good and that will be the most I am expecting from him.
He is also scheduled to play in Nice, if he does and go deep, then forget a great RG run.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is always a tendency of bandwagoning after a couple of good events. Thiem is improved but he has to pace himself.
He just got beaten back to back by Kohli and Delpo, so it is not exactly all serene for him.
I do not see him a this year being a decisive factor at RG, a QF appearance will be very good and that will be the most I am expecting from him.
He is also scheduled to play in Nice, if he does and go deep, then forget a great RG run.
Oh, yes, for heaven's sake, I'm not bandwagoning that, or dissing Nole. I'm just saying that Thiem has played a lot to date this year, given his last year's level. I fully expect that stat to change by Friday.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tuesday Results:

Round 2

10-Richard Gasquet (France) beat Fernando Verdasco (Spain) 6-4 3-6 6-1
2-Andy Murray (Britain) beat Radek Stepanek (Czech Republic) 7-6(3) 3-6 6-1
11-Milos Raonic (Canada) beat Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) 6-4 6-7(3) 6-2
5-Rafa Nadal (Spain) beat Andrey Kuznetsov (Russia) 6-3 6-3

Round 1

Borna Coric (Croatia) beat Nicolas Almagro (Spain) 6-2 6-2 Alb