Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, ATP Masters 1000

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Saw the result. Quite a relief to be honest, this is a promising result that may see Novak get in to quarters and semis at least. Kei is no pushover on clay.

Hope Novak stays healthy and is able to cope with the lighter racket in the matches to come.

I think next question is if Nole has enough energy to get to finals, before he answers the ultimate question, I hope in Paris.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think next question is if Nole has enough energy to get to finals, before he answers the ultimate question, I hope in Paris.
I hope it goes that way, but I would already be very happy if Novak is his old self at the US Open this year.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I hope it goes that way, but I would already be very happy if Novak is his old self at the US Open this year.

I am sure it will be sooner. If not Paris then London.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thiem is under pressure here at this event. If he cannot defeat Rafa he will drop out of the top 8, because he is defending a final from last year. Losing 420 points if he stops in the QF, will cost him 2 crucial ranking spots.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Takes out Nishi in 2 tough sets. Getting the break to win each set. Definitely helps to serve first if you've got a great return game.
I only watched a tiny bit, but Nishikori had the early break on Novak in the first, but he got it right back, I think. I'm sorry I had to miss it. Anyone watch?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I saw most of the first set and the last 5 games of the 2nd set. Very competitive. Their styles are so similar that the some of the winners were flashy. A fair amount of errors too as both are not quite back to the level of baseline consistency that's their norm

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good event for Lajovic so far.
He defeated Khachanov first, then Gasquet.

Reactions: mrzz and Mastoor

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice job by Milos to defeat Grigor. First win over a top 10 ranked this season for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murat Baslamisli

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

If he beats Delpo whom he plays next, he will revenge fellow Belgradian, Damir Dzumhur.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
This is the only clay MS where Nadal can be realistically beaten by a decent to good claycourter. Rome too to some extent. Hopefully DJ peaks just in time to save tennis.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He seems to be featuring a bit more often. What's your take on the guy. I've only watched him play a bit.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am a moderate fan of Lajovic. Saw him live once. A beauty of a backhand. Good all around game. He just needs one tiny bit more on every aspect to take it to the next level (in his case it would mean reach top 20).

By the way.... Go Cuevas!

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am a moderate fan of Lajovic. Saw him live once. A beauty of a backhand. Good all around game. He just needs one tiny bit more on every aspect to take it to the next level (in his case it would mean reach top 20).

I knew you'd be campaigning for Cuevas, but...when are we going to talk about that mustache?

Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I knew you'd be campaigning for Cuevas, but...when are we going to talk about that mustache?

You should be ashamed of your explicit mustachofobia.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You should be ashamed of your explicit mustachofobia.
It's just certain bad 70s associations.

This was the one in particular that springs to mind:

untitled1.png

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

I read comments of people thinking he is playing good enough that it is not impossible that he may beat Delpo.

Reactions: herios

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read comments of people thinking he is playing good enough that it is not impossible that he may beat Delpo.
Fine, but what is his up-side?