Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2023 - Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune finally got past Bublik in a 3rd set TB. Only saw the last, but it looked like a good match. FWIW, Reilly Opelka (who was calling the match) said that Rune is a nice guy and well-liked in the locker room. In spite of some of the "nonsense," as he said.

"Clay God" Zverev dropped the first set to Carballes Baena.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune finally got past Bublik in a 3rd set TB. Only saw the last, but it looked like a good match. FWIW, Reilly Opelka (who was calling the match) said that Rune is a nice guy and well-liked in the locker room. In spite of some of the "nonsense," as he said.

"Clay God" Zverev dropped the first set to Carballes Baena.
Sasha had a fall in the first set and had the trainer out
Rune is still on 'probation to me' btw I am not the only one who thinks so :)

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sasha had a fall in the first set and had the trainer out
Rune is still on 'probation to me' btw I am not the only one who thinks so :)
Thanks for the tip on Sascha.

Obviously, that comment on Rune wasn't to persuade you...you've been pretty clear. I just put it out there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the tip on Sascha.

Obviously, that comment on Rune wasn't to persuade you...you've been pretty clear. I just put it out there.
I know that, when he stops rubbing up players the wrong way eg Sinner, in their last match, he is talented he still needs growing up

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I cant see Sasha getting out of this match, down a break in the 2nd set, what is it with Sasha and Spaniards lol!
Oh wait Sasha has other idea's breaks back, 4 all 2nd set
Sasha wins 2nd set 75 after 4SP, going 3 sets,

Last edited:
  • Haha

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching the highlights of Alcaraz match, there is one thing that continually bothers me with him, and it’s his echo grunt. The delayed grunt, when the ball is already gone. He’ll be done for a hindrance someday. Watch this clip from 2’57” - 2 points and his grunt is delayed on the second point. I believe it can affect the opponent:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well that was one 'weird match' Carbelles in the 3rd set asked for the trainer, shoulder and neck issues, trainer massaging, Sasha leading 3-0 ends up winning the final set 60
Zverev d Carbelles Baena 67(6) 75 60

Last edited:
  • Haha

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watching the highlights of Alcaraz match, there is one thing that continually bothers me with him, and it’s his echo grunt. The delayed grunt, when the ball is already gone. He’ll be done for a hindrance someday. Watch this clip from 2’57” - 2 points and his grunt is delayed on the second point. I believe it can affect the opponent:

I never understand why so much complaining about grunting. Expulsion of air helps effort.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I never understand why so much complaining about grunting. Expulsion of air helps effort.
It’s not complaining about grunting - it’s when a player hits a shot and delays their grunt. It’s a fake or exaggerated grunt, basically. Serena was done under the hindrances rule against Stosur at the USO a long time ago and I think somewhere somebody will notice that Charlie’s got a grunt that had little to do with the expulsion of air. A delayed grunt is a distraction for the opponent, and also affects their reading of the balls flight…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s not complaining about grunting - it’s when a player hits a shot and delays their grunt. It’s a fake or exaggerated grunt, basically. Serena was done under the hindrances rule against Stosur at the USO a long time ago and I think somewhere somebody will notice that Charlie’s got a grunt that had little to do with the expulsion of air. A delayed grunt is a distraction for the opponent, and also affects their reading of the balls flight…
Yeah, I've heard that before. I still have a hard time believing that players would rehearse that to the point of it not being a distraction for themselves.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I've heard that before. I still have a hard time believing that players would rehearse that to the point of it not being a distraction for themselves.
I don’t think they rehearse it as such, although Serena was trying to affect her opponent, I believe, given what we knew of her. With Alcaraz I think he’s genuinely grunting and busting a gut late in the second set, but in the third set he’s giving the impression of it being a huge grunty effort, when it plainly isn’t. I doubt he’s aware of it, he’s just so relieved to be in the third set.

I think Rafa faced a similar issue at Wimbledon and he pulled his opponent up on it…

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great news, everyone! Nadal will be playing Rome and Paris so you can stop wasting your time watching Madrid and save your energy for real Tennis coming soon. :cheerleader::dance3::rose:

DA51A485-AEC8-4F5E-ACA9-FA8A3353BDD4.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In this video, it begins at about 7 minutes, until Rafa calls Sonego to the net to discuss it.

Yes, but Nadal apologized later and said he was wrong, did he not?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Little Holger again showed why he’s the Danish Lion of tennis. Surviving a MP in the 3rd set TB 7-8 versus monster serving Bublik. That is 5 MP’s saved in his last 2 matches, well the kid never quits.

Madrid with its high altitude is a “wannabe” red clay tourney.

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching high lights of the match between Q Hugo Grenier v Seb Korda, seeing Korda has not played since the AO, he fared okay, his serve let him down at times in the 2 TBs, Grenier winning 76 (5) 76 (7), though good to see him back on the tour

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, but Nadal apologized later and said he was wrong, did he not?

Nadal is never wrong. Sonego should have been disqualified and banned from tennis and that's the bottom line. :approved

:bye:

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran