Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2023 - Masters 1000

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I had to sign in, I know he's considered a "clown" but Benoit Paire is welcoming sobriety (or so he claims) and managed to come from 0-3 down in the final round of qualifying for Madrid and defeat his opponent Uchida 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. I don't make it a habit of streaming or following qualifying matches but this one intrigued me after Paire put out that Tweet about how he was trying sobriety. Apparently it paid off, at least for now, the he and the crowd were elated. You don't often see crowds for qualifying matches go crazy but these fans seemed very happy for him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Madrid update:
OUT: Fognini
In: LL

Note Electronic line calling only on the 2 big show courts Manolo Santana and ASV, line umpires on all other courts

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz on Madrid Title defense ( via The Tennis Letter)

" I will try to enjoy it and give enjoyment to others, which is the important thing, I'm going to try to take the pressure off and not think about all the people who are watching. I want to enjoy it and make other people happy".

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jaume Munar comes back from 2-5 down in the 2nd set to defeat Thanasi Kokkinakis 76(7) 76(3)
Thanasi was serving for the 2nd set 5-4 and DF and his FH also went AWOL, nothing much improved for him in the 2nd set TB either.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_2377.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Back to the drawing board for Andy Murray who again goes out in his first round match on clay to Italian Qualifer Vavassori 62 76(7)
Maybe he should have skipped the clay season, lets see how he goes in Rome

Murray after his match, and on playing at Roland Garos,
" I would like to play, you know just purely because, yeah, I don't know if I'll get another opportunity again. Whilst I feel fit and healthy, I would like to give it a go".

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray after his match, and on playing at Roland Garos,
" I would like to play, you know just purely because, yeah, I don't know if I'll get another opportunity again. Whilst I feel fit and healthy, I would like to give it a go".

He is probably saying this because as of now Nadal might not be playing RG. If Nadal announces his come back for RG then Murray would answer the question with "no, I'm definitely not playing RG, why do you ask me such a stupid question".

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Italian Qualifer Matteo Arnaldi defeats the No 3 seed Casper Ruud 63 64, who season continues in a downward spiral!
Hard to explain Ruud’s vanishing act, isn’t it? Great season last season and I wonder if it went to his head, or if he can’t handle it, I don’t know, but he’s trending into obscurity at this rate. I’m sure he’ll turn that around and find his level…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hard to explain Ruud’s vanishing act, isn’t it? Great season last season and I wonder if it went to his head, or if he can’t handle it, I don’t know, but he’s trending into obscurity at this rate. I’m sure he’ll turn that around and find his level…
Well you would hope so, though he has won most of his titles on clay, and has finalist points to defend at RG, not the player he was on clay in 2022, he has youth on his side, to turn his game around

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay what the hell is going on the player with the most vowels in his name Ruusuvuori just won the 1st set 62 over the defending champion Alcaraz....just got home from work I need a double expresso and a good lie down if this keeps up :)
Actually I think I will take a Nanna Nap

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay what the hell is going on the player with the most vowels in his name Ruusuvuori just won the 1st set 62 over the defending champion Alcaraz....just got home from work I need a double expresso and a good lie down if this keeps up :)
Alcaraz not feeling his shots so far and Rusuuvuori is playing good at the moment. Alcaraz can turn this around.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz not feeling his shots so far and Rusuuvuori is playing good at the moment. Alcaraz can turn this around.
I hope so Don, I am taking a little nap, hopefully when I wake up he will turn this match around, I understand coming from MC into high altitude it does take some players time to adjust their games

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is turning out into a fun match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Took Alcaraz a set and a half to find his game, but he just won. Ruusuvuori played great, esp. until he failed to break Carlos at 2-3 in the 2nd.
Yeah, that was a crucial moment of the match, almost 14 minute game, Carlos saved some break points with gutsy play and from there on he was a man in charge. Kudos to Finish guy who put up a good fight.