Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2023 - Masters 1000

tented

Administrator
Reactions
a massive cake MM. Just who are they trying to feed w/ that thing, the entire stadium court?
IMG_2485.gif

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I couldn't agree more and all of that aside, it's not helping the Greek. It didn't help him when it was illegal and they had an Aussie sting operation and it's not helping him now that it's allowed. Why his dense family can't understand this and get the boy the appropriate help he needs, is above my paygrade to diagnose.
And yet I suspect your diagnosis would be correct. They’re too egotistical and invested in their own interests in his career to let him go - and he’s too weak to kick them all out..

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I get the impression he's trying to attain a Foki-style pony.
Okay that is fine, but I think he is attractive enough that he doesn't need a "pony tale", but what do I know? I mean. people decide what is best for them. We are just tennis fans, so who are we to say how someone should wear their hair? I know I wouldn't't appreciate it if someone publicly ridiculed or challenged my appearance. Enough on that subject.....:)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And yet I suspect your diagnosis would be correct. They’re too egotistical and invested in their own interests in his career to let him go - and he’s too weak to kick them all out..
It’s all about control. Unfortunately he’s talented enough that his success confirms to them its all due to THEIR expertise.

I daresay if the family had the choice of letting him go knowing the end result was Tsitsipas having better results, their response would be “hell no”.

Reactions: Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If we're fair to Karatsev, he's been as high as 14. We know he's a dangerous player. And to say that Alcaraz has "been in the Top 10" does undersell him a bit. He's been #1, he is currently #2, and he is the defending champion, so there is that, right? ;)

Look at the draw. You could say, I think, that the top half was loaded. Alcaraz has already gone through Dimitrov, Zverev and Khachanov. And Alcaraz still has to play Coric, who we know is a very talented player. But for injuries, I think we all believe he'd have done better, and may yet feature well. In the bottom half, who went out early? In no particular order: FAA, Rune, Ruud, Medvedev, Fritz, Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, oh, and the supposedly dangerous Cerundolo. Did I miss anyone? Out of all that, what you have left is Karatsev and Struff. Who you going to blame for that? I'd blame basically everyone just named above, if you think this underrates this Madrid Open. Or, maybe we just got two dark horses for the French Open.
Rune & Ruud were in the top half, but i tell ya tennis fans are never happy.

If the seeding holds it’s because the rest of the players are mentally weak and pushovers , if the seeding collapses its because the seeded players are mentally weak. Some of the upsets were darn good matches.

Personally i love this “college football” uncertainty.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If we're fair to Karatsev, he's been as high as 14. We know he's a dangerous player. And to say that Alcaraz has "been in the Top 10" does undersell him a bit. He's been #1, he is currently #2, and he is the defending champion, so there is that, right? ;)

Look at the draw. You could say, I think, that the top half was loaded. Alcaraz has already gone through Dimitrov, Zverev and Khachanov. And Alcaraz still has to play Coric, who we know is a very talented player. But for injuries, I think we all believe he'd have done better, and may yet feature well. In the bottom half, who went out early? In no particular order: FAA, Rune, Ruud, Medvedev, Fritz, Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, oh, and the supposedly dangerous Cerundolo. Did I miss anyone? Out of all that, what you have left is Karatsev and Struff. Who you going to blame for that? I'd blame basically everyone just named above, if you think this underrates this Madrid Open. Or, maybe we just got two dark horses for the French Open.
LOL, Moxie. I'm not selling or under-selling Alcaraz, nor am I saying anything about the tournament as a whole. I'm merely pointing out that none of the other players have reached the top 10. That's what that sentence means.

Nor am I saying that Alcaraz has had an easy tournament, or that Karatsev isn't dangerous. I'm merely pointing out facts: That Alcaraz is (was) the only SF who has reached the top 10, and that the other three are all relatively low ranked for Masters SF. Ergo, a rather weak quartet, in terms of current and past rankings.

(In other words, it isn't an attack on Madrid, Alcaraz, Spain, clay, or Rafa ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Rublev and Khachanov who are the Doubles champions also best friends, defeating the 7th seeds Bopanna/Eden 63 36 10-3

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LOL, Moxie. I'm not selling or under-selling Alcaraz, nor am I saying anything about the tournament as a whole. I'm merely pointing out that none of the other players have reached the top 10. That's what that sentence means.

Nor am I saying that Alcaraz has had an easy tournament, or that Karatsev isn't dangerous. I'm merely pointing out facts: That Alcaraz is (was) the only SF who has reached the top 10, and that the other three are all relatively low ranked for Masters SF. Ergo, a rather weak quartet, in terms of current and past rankings.

(In other words, it isn't an attack on Madrid, Alcaraz, Spain, clay, or Rafa ;-)
I guess I should have known you would string that comment out into the next galaxy. :lulz1:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope this will be an competitive final getting out of bed at 2.30am to watch, how long it is before the tour returns to Aussie lol!

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Silver Fox again in the magic box, he really needs to stay out of the sun, he will be wrinkled in no time lol!