Mutua Madrid Open 2017 Clay Masters

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
By the way I've just read that Rafa has otitis (inflammation of the ear), maybe because he jumped to the pool in Barcelona and the water was too cold? grrrr :nono. Hope my wishes become true and he now withdraws playing his next match in Roma

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
By the way I've just read that Rafa has otitis (inflammation of the ear), maybe because he jumped to the pool in Barcelona and the water was too cold? grrrr :nono

I thought OTTitis is an exaggerated whip on the forehand, and a ridiculously macho fistpump. :snicker

I hope this new ailment is trivial, but forces him to return home and sleep it off for a week...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't get this wish for Rafa to withdraw early. I know, you want him fresh for Roland Garros (I assume that's it?). But he's got plenty of time to recover between Rome and RG. I say Rafa should go all out, try to win Madrid, Rome, and RG, then skip or play easy during grass season and focus on the USO and WTF.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
I don't get this wish for Rafa to withdraw early. I know, you want him fresh for Roland Garros (I assume that's it?). But he's got plenty of time to recover between Rome and RG. I say Rafa should go all out, try to win Madrid, Rome, and RG, then skip or play easy during grass season and focus on the USO and WTF.

It is to do with resting. I'd have preferred he takes Madrid off, then he has only Rome before Paris.

After Paris, regardless how he gets on, his focus then is Wimbo. Not to "skip or play easy", but to play like fury and try get up a head of steam that carries him into week 2, where he's capable of making anything happen.

But with regards to Madrid, the surface isn't even a good warm-up for Paris. It just never felt like a right fit. I much preferred the old Hamburg event...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, fair enough. But you know Rafa feeds on momentum and confidence, and of course with Andy and Novak struggling, he might want to take advantage. If he wins Madrid, he can always skip Rome if he needs a break. I don't see him needing a warmup for RG - he can adjust in the first match or two without worrying about breaking a sweat.

As for Wimby, it is hard to forget that he's lost four years in a row to some guy ranked around #100 or worse. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance, but boy would that be a surprise.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
El Dude said:

It is to do with resting. I'd have preferred he takes Madrid off, then he has only Rome before Paris.

After Paris, regardless how he gets on, his focus then is Wimbo. Not to "skip or play easy", but to play like fury and try get up a head of steam that carries him into week 2, where he's capable of making anything happen.

But with regards to Madrid, the surface isn't even a good warm-up for Paris. It just never felt like a right fit. I much preferred the old Hamburg event...

I think the same way

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
El Dude said:

Agreed..that makes no damn sense to play easy on the grass or ever..Win RG and rediscover 2007-2011 Rafa play on grass. He has a game that's more suited because he knows how to come forward and to put the ball away at the net. It's all about confidence and executing a game plan regardless of a big server or whomever.,he is still Rafa and should try to make his opponents feel some pain to defeat him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
OK, fair enough. But you know Rafa feeds on momentum and confidence, and of course with Andy and Novak struggling, he might want to take advantage. If he wins Madrid, he can always skip Rome if he needs a break. I don't see him needing a warmup for RG - he can adjust in the first match or two without worrying about breaking a sweat.

As for Wimby, it is hard to forget that he's lost four years in a row to some guy ranked around #100 or worse. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance, but boy would that be a surprise.

It doesn't mean he shouldn't try, or even worse - "play easy". I know what you mean, but careers aren't long in this game, and Rafa is old. First strike geniuses like Pete were worn down by the age of 30. If Rafa is 31 this year, so if he's gonna play, then he needs to go all out.

I also agree to an extent about skipping Rome - but Rome is better prep for Paris, so I'd have preferred he skip Madrid, but now of course, that horse has bolted. He's playing tomorrow and you know Rafa, e doesn't do things half-heartedly...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will be in NY to celebrate my Birthday since this next Thursday to next Monday so I don't think I will have too much time to watch too many matches so it would be great if Rafa withdraws, go fishing, resting, taking care with his hear, training and ready for Roma :cool:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I will be in NY to celebrate my Birthday since this next Thursday to next Monday so I don't think I will have too much time to watch too many matches so it would be great if Rafa withdraws, go fishing, resting, taking care with his hear, training and ready for Roma :cool:

Oh lucky you, heading to New York! And Happy Birthday, Carol! :hug :celeb: :smooch

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

Oh lucky you, heading to New York! And Happy Birthday, Carol! :hug :celeb: :smooch

Thanks so much!!!! May 12 is my Birthday and I will celebrate with part of my family which live over there, I know that we will have a lot of fun like we had last year too :popcorn:cool:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've just read that Rafa has ostitis (inflammation of the ear) so maybe my wishes become true and he withdraws, go fishing, resting, taking care with the ear, practicing and ready for Roma :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

Thanks so much!!!! May 12 is my Birthday and I will celebrate with part of my family which live over there, I know that we will have a lot of fun like we had last year too :popcorn:cool:

You go every year to NY? You're having the life I want! :ras: :cry :snicker

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
WTH? 2 bagel sets by the Frenchies (Le Monf vs Simon) :cover

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I've just read that Rafa has ostitis (inflammation of the ear) so maybe my wishes become true and he withdraws, go fishing, resting, taking care with the ear, practicing and ready for Roma :)

I told you, Moxie and Nekro ( :)) to quit those teenage screams when watching him play, but you wouldn't listen. Now the guy has his ears done for the season.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Now it is official: Monfils and Simon, as expected, produced the weirdest scoreline in the history of sub-lunar tennis matches: 0x6 6x0 7x6 (7x0).

Reactions: Carol and Denis

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
WTH? 2 bagel sets by the Frenchies (Le Monf vs Simon) :cover

That was a tough draw for R64!
Simon prevailed: 0-6, 6-0, 7-6.
First 16 seed is eliminated.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

Whaaattt..may 12 is my wife's birthday too.. Carol I knew there's something special about you besides Rafa :celeb:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:
Kieran said:

You go every year to NY? You're having the life I want! :ras: :cry :snicker
Yep, I'm going there every year but sometimes in September or October, also in Christmas which I love to be there (completely different like here in Miami). You can do it too, the world is very small. Are you from Scotland? that 's the place that I'd love to visit, I heard is beautiful and the people are nice and friendly so I'll be there anytime :cool: