Mayweather / Pacquiao

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Holyfield and Mosley had it for Pac also.

Holyfield can barely speak and function mentally after way too many punches, I wouldn't put too much stock in his analysis..Manny only won 3 rounds, Floyd out boxed him

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the better write ups I've read...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/floyd-mayweather-the-magician-leaves-manny-pacquiao-with-a-shattered-look-10222732.html

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
britbox said:
I personally had Manny 7-5 on rounds and if I was given a range I'd have gone to the other aspect of giving it Floyd 7-5. There were 4 rounds or so where you could have scored it either way. 118-110 from one of the judges was an absolute disgrace.

As I told one of my pals, you don't score points for slipping punches... as much as an impressive defensive display Floyd put on, I don't feel he even threw enough shots to take the fight, let alone landed enough. I could have lived with a one or maybe eve two round decision for Floyd... 118-110 gives Manny two rounds... shocking. Not the worst decision I've ever seen... Chavez/Whitaker tops that pol, but one of the poorest one-judge decisions I've ever seen.

According to the official stats Mayweather actually threw more punches than Pacquiao.

Yeah I saw the stats and was actually pretty surprised. I considered watching it again today but couldn't be bothered as I found the whole event really quite disappointing and ended up watching Chavez/ Taylor.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I wasn't surprised at all re: Mayweather throwing more punches. That's what sealed it for me. The minimum requirement for any opponent of Floyd is to throw more punches. For me it was absolutely clear that Manny didn't. Yes he kept walking forward, but that really doesn't cut it, particularly as your opponent keeps throwing jabs at you to keep you out of range. I must admit, that's one of the reasons I was quite surprised that you thought Manny had won.

This was quite different from the Haggler-Leonard fight. In that fight, Marvin was as busy as always, and Leonard just threw flashy punches that were really arm flicks, they had no power and hit Marvins arms. I'm still amazed that they could take a champions belt with that sort of performance from a challenger :nono

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is boxing, after all. Mayweather (from what I read) out boxed Manny. Ali outboxed quite a few in his day too. One of the best things leading up to this fight was seeing all the classic boxing matches from the late Sixties up through the Tyson era. LORD I thought the world of Smokin' Joe and he still impresses all these years later. He was a Tyson, but with greater skill as a boxer. He just kept coming. He only lost four fights in his career--two a piece to Ali and Forman, both of whom were heavyweight champions. Frazier was the real article, but Ali was electrifying as a boxer and showman. You could not take your eyes off of him. It was until Tyson came along that a heavyweight got so much attention.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
this is huge.. no way Manny was at full strength , his team should have taken proper steps to get him prefight meds treatment:nono

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12821905/manny-pacquiao-surgery-significant-tear-rotator-cuff-right-shoulder

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I'm not sure it's that big a deal. The number of times fighters need to do similar things after a fight and you don't hear about it. What's different is that it suits their purposes to let it be known this time. Manny didn't come out of all this well. Thought he had more class than this

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
^I'm not sure it's that big a deal. The number of times fighters need to do similar things after a fight and you don't hear about it. What's different is that it suits their purposes to let it be known this time. Manny didn't come out of all this well. Thought he had more class than this

The fight was a fraudulent.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
federberg said:

:huh:

:nono

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
federberg said:

People need to just accept that Floyd, boring as his style is, and as terrible a human being as he is, is just really, REALLY good at boxing and more importantly, winning. This isn't tennis, fighters fight hurt ALL the time.

I maintained for years that Floyd would school any version of Manny. Fight went pretty much like the majority of people expected...ironically, that's why they're so pissed. They tune in to every Mayweather fight and proceed to get irritated that it turned out to be a typical Mayweather fight.

dropshot tom

Reactions
Read somewhere that Andre Agassi and Steffi were at the fight, sitting on the second row. Probably amongst loads of celebs.etc

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
the AntiPusher said:
federberg said:

People need to just accept that Floyd, boring as his style is, and as terrible a human being as he is, is just really, REALLY good at boxing and more importantly, winning. This isn't tennis, fighters fight hurt ALL the time.

I maintained for years that Floyd would school any version of Manny. Fight went pretty much like the majority of people expected...ironically, that's why they're so pissed. They tune in to every Mayweather fight and proceed to get irritated that it turned out to be a typical Mayweather fight.

100% with everything you say. How often does that happen :laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Meanwhile, with all of Manny's moaning and whining about the result, turns out he might spend a year in clink and face a huge fine for perjury over not filling out his pre-fight form correctly. Manny, boy, if you're gonna complain about the injury, that form right there was the one to do it on... :cover

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCVjGvKJtQ

Totally agree with Paulie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I forced myself to watch the fight again... and it was actually better than my first take. Second time round I watched it alone with no commentary as opposed to downing beers with raucous fans down the pub.

I gave the 8th and 9th to Mayweather on the revisit, which would give him the fight 7-5 but still not overly convinced.

Yes, it was a defensive masterclass and if we look at the four pillars of scoring - Punches landed, effective aggression, ring generalship and defence (and I tend to look at it in that order) then he may have eeked it but I can't agree with the talk of a near shutout.

The talk has all been of how Mayweather nullified Pacman... I don't disagree. BUT why should the onus be on Pacman to unlock Mayweather? Did Floyd unlock Pacman? It would seem he didn't need to by the scoring.

I tend to think that Mayweather did pretty much what people were expecting and Pacman didn't do enough to meet people's expectations... Agree again. BUT that's scoring on pre-conceptions. If you actually watch the fight (commentary off) and try and forget who's fighting and score it as you see it then it's a close fight. There are plenty of rounds where Mayweather barely landed a punch (similarly with Pac) but Floyd gets the benefit because he's doing the Floyd thing and Pac ain't doing the Pac "thing".

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I slightly disagree with you. When I was watching it, Jim Watt was one of the commentators, and I find him utterly irritating. So the first chance I got, I watched it again, and my view hadn't changed. As I said before I gave 2 rounds clearly to Manny, possibly another one which was close. There were another 2 or 3 rounds that looked like draws to me. So best case scenario I could go with 7 - 5, but realistically 9 - 3 makes more sense to me. All you have to do is slow some of the exchanges down and you see Manny either missing, or hitting arms and shoulder, versus Floyd constantly connecting. This is the problem for all fighters against Floyd. Their shot connection rate drops down dramatically against him. I can well understand some fans not liking him, and perhaps my love for amateur boxing is what makes my appreciation of him greater, he is very very effective at what he does

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^off the top of my head I think it was 4 and 6, but don't hold me too strongly to that

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=27735.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 14