Mayweather / Pacquiao

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un.

Mayweather all day every day for me. And not just because he easily beat Marquez. I've always felt this way. I think people have tended to underestimate how much catch weights have helped Manny against fighters both he and Floyd have fought. I think he'll be surprised by how quick Floyd is, if he gets caught by one of those check hooks of his it will be over quick. Always thought this match up would be a huge anti-climax. Just a pity we didn't see it when Manny was at his best. Even though he's younger I think he's deteriorated more dramatically than Floyd at this stage..

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I always subscribed to that theory too mate... and got burned on the De La Hoya / Pacman fight :)

My opinion on this fight is largely the same as it was a few years ago... Will root for Manny, but think Floyd wins it.

BUT... even though I gave Pac a better chance 5 years ago, I'm still warming to it. I actually think Floyd will be more surprised by Manny's speed than vice versa.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
^ I always subscribed to that theory too mate... and got burned on the De La Hoya / Pacman fight :)

My opinion on this fight is largely the same as it was a few years ago... Will root for Manny, but think Floyd wins it.

BUT... even though I gave Pac a better chance 5 years ago, I'm still warming to it. I actually think Floyd will be more surprised by Manny's speed than vice versa.

But that's the point though. De La Hoya got done in by having to make a catch weight versus Manny. He had to lose so many pounds he was no where near himself (and a very old self as well). It was suicidal for him to agree to those terms. That's why Manny has looked so good against Oscar, and Coutto. These guys have been drained making weight. I think it's a huge mistake everyone makes when trying to assess Manny and Floyd by looking at the guys they've both fought. These guys have invariably fought Floyd with full power and still been taken our relatively comfortably (excepting Coutto of course).

I do agree that Manny is quick, although I think that Manny will be more shocked by Floyd's speed. At the end of the day Floyd's chin is rock solid, his defences are tight. Manny will have to come for him, and that's going to be his undoing. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Manny, but I confess to being a bit of a sceptic about how he's been able to retain his punch power as he's moved up the weight categories :puzzled

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^True, but DLH moved down one weight and Pac moved up two. Still a surprise for me at the time, although less so in hindsight. DLH had fast hands too... interestingly he reckons they are pretty similar speed wise. Manny will come for him, but I also think Floyd will be made to fight... so it will be interesting.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Not sure if Floyd can be made to fight. But he'll certainly be the one counterattacking. If just one of his check hooks gets thru, either he knocks Manny down, or Manny is forced to be more cautious coming in. Either way that's the fight right there, because Manny ain't gonna outbox Floyd from range, that's for sure..

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed that Manny won't beat Floyd from range and yeah, I can see how Floyd can cause a lot of problems for Manny (Don't forget I'm picking Floyd to win this fight, even though I want Pac to take it)... but Floyd will have to keep him honest early and he's going to have to soak up a lot of early pressure. and Manny is a pressure fighter.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Yes I completely agree. Manny almost has to rush out and take it to Floyd from the start. If Manny isn't up in points after the first 4 rounds I just can't see how he wins this

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
These boys are getting it on about 5 years too late.

I think Manny will shut him up...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Here's some interesting news I was reading yesterday about the drug clause of the contract:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/floyd-mayweather-jr-rejects-5-million-penalty-if-he-fails-drug-test-136094/

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Interesting. Seems to me that Manny's associates were playing silly publicity stunts. All of this should have been in the original contract. I find it hard to believe that after they originally tried to get this fight on that there wouldn't have been a drugs clause anyway. So this just seems like a disingenuous ploy as Floyd would never agree to sign something ancillary to the actual contract

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I hear that Manny is scheduled to make 125-175 million and Floyd 300-400 million off this fight ,if true, its insane

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Manny v The Money.

What time they lay gloves on each other?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I. Would say about 11:30pm est the fight should begin..Manny is a lot smaller than he was five years ago :puzzled..btw..who you got . I got Floyd in a unanimous decision or Tko in 10 rds

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
I. Would say about 11:30pm est the fight should begin..Manny is a lot smaller than he was five years ago :puzzled..btw..who you got . I got Floyd in a unanimous decision or Tko in 10 rds

Not a bad shout. My take is.. if Manny can't get a lucky punch in within the first 3 or 4 rounds, Floyd will work him out. At that point, I think Floyd will probably TKO him in the later rounds. He's deceptively powerful, and I can't believe Manny's chin will ever recover from what Marquez did to him. One's chin doesn't get less brittle over time

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They just had the weigh in and staredown:

Floyd --> 146
Pac --> 145

Manny smiled and looked away during the staredown, but Floyd was serious as a TV drama.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
They just had the weigh in and staredown:

Floyd --> 146
Pac --> 145

Manny smiled and looked away during the staredown, but Floyd was serious as a TV drama.

They weigh so less, would not have guessed myself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 14