Mayweather / Pacquiao

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
I did not watch it. But, according to CNN updates Manny seems to be in the lead till round 7 or so.

I followed it on the Telegraph website and they had Mayweather up 5-2 after seven, and fairly comfortable. Won the first three rounds, and Manny won the fourth. THe fight seems to have panned out as others predicted, with Mayweather just too brilliant in avoidance for Manny to hit him...

On what basis do you give Mayweather the third round? Watch it again and tell me where he scored?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
I did not watch it. But, according to CNN updates Manny seems to be in the lead till round 7 or so.

I followed it on the Telegraph website and they had Mayweather up 5-2 after seven, and fairly comfortable. Won the first three rounds, and Manny won the fourth. THe fight seems to have panned out as others predicted, with Mayweather just too brilliant in avoidance for Manny to hit him...

On what basis do you give Mayweather the third round? Watch it again and tell me where he scored?

I didn't give him any rounds, brother, I said I followed it in the Telegraph and they gave him the first three rounds, and five out of the first seven. Need to be a rancher in Ireland to afford to watch these fights of the century... :snicker

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to disagree Britbox. It's not often my group of friends and I see eye to eye while watching a fight :snicker This time it was clear for us. Floyd kept countering beautifully with Manny floundering. MP simply didn't throw enough punches, and worse still those he threw hardly ever landed. While Floyd continually landed his single punch precision shots. It was a masterclass as far as I saw. I am genuinely surprised that there's any disagreement here.

MP was ill advised to even suggest that he thought he won, it was clear watching Freddie Roach in the closing round, he obviously knew that MP wasn't doing enough. And the MP camp showed further evidence that they know they lost by revealing that he went into the fight with a shoulder injury :nono

I know Floyds style is not everyone's cup of tea, but not getting hit as part of the art of boxing. The most telling thing (something I never expected to see this time) was that Floyd threw more punches than Manny. If I had seen that one stat alone, without having watched the fight the conclusion would have been obvious

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I do agree that Manny clearly won round 3, no question about it. That was one of only two I could give him

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
I have to disagree Britbox. It's not often my group of friends and I see eye to eye while watching a fight :snicker This time it was clear for us. Floyd kept countering beautifully with Manny floundering. MP simply didn't throw enough punches, and worse still those he threw hardly ever landed. While Floyd continually landed his single punch precision shots. It was a masterclass as far as I saw. I am genuinely surprised that there's any disagreement here.

MP was ill advised to even suggest that he thought he won, it was clear watching Freddie Roach in the closing round, he obviously knew that MP wasn't doing enough. And the MP camp showed further evidence that they know they lost by revealing that he went into the fight with a shoulder injury :nono

I know Floyds style is not everyone's cup of tea, but not getting hit as part of the art of boxing. The most telling thing (something I never expected to see this time) was that Floyd threw more punches than Manny. If I had seen that one stat alone, without having watched the fight the conclusion would have been obvious

Hey Federberg.... I don't really dispute the decision. 8 of us together watched it and scored it... some had money riding on either boxer and as I said earlier in the post I predicted Floyd to win the fight. The spread was two rounds either way (a four round spread) and 5 of the 8 picked Floyd.

Defensive masterclass? Most definitely. But I don't score points for slipping punches. I thought Manny did just enough to win the fight (and I thought he was disappointing). Floyd didn't do enough IMO, but hey - I'll accept the defeat - just not the way it was scored. 10-2?? Did Floyd throw 10 punches??! Yeah, I've seen the stats.

Anyway, this is far from the travesty that was Chavez/Whitaker when my guy (Chavez) got a draw (a disgrace - Whitaker won nearly every round).. it was more like Leonard/Hagler - which was close to call apart from one idiotic judge giving one guy 10 rounds.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
Then the guy at CNN must have been on the happy juice (or that punch you were kind enough to offer me). It was remarkably free of controversy. By my count Manny won two rounds and possibly drew another. Every boxer who was asked said the same

Holyfied and Sugar Shane Mosley both scored it 7-5 Pac so it wasn't a unanimous feeling.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
federberg said:

Hey Federberg.... I don't really dispute the decision. 8 of us together watched it and scored it... some had money riding on either boxer and as I said earlier in the post I predicted Floyd to win the fight. The spread was two rounds either way (a four round spread) and 5 of the 8 picked Floyd.

Defensive masterclass? Most definitely. But I don't score points for slipping punches. I thought Manny did just enough to win the fight (and I thought he was disappointing). Floyd didn't do enough IMO, but hey - I'll accept the defeat - just not the way it was scored. 10-2?? Did Floyd throw 10 punches??! Yeah, I've seen the stats.

Anyway, this is far from the travesty that was Chavez/Whitaker when my guy (Chavez) got a draw (a disgrace - Whitaker won nearly every round).. it was more like Leonard/Hagler - which was close to call apart from one idiotic judge giving one guy 10 rounds.

I could definitely see the Leonard/Hagler association, although that day I was a Hagler fan :)

And I agree with you re: the Whitaker fight. I can accept that the scoring looks a bit wide. Some of the rounds were close enough for debate. I wish it could have been more to and fro

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Some comments from ex-champions. Hard to disagree with either...

Six-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya: "Call me old-school but I like the fans getting their money's worth by watching an action-packed fight. I'm just not into the boxing, running style. I like jumping out of my seat because a fight was existing."

Former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis: "Some people want blood and get disappointed when they don't get it. Doesn't take away from fact that Floyd is a great technician."

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
britbox said:
federberg said:

I could definitely see the Leonard/Hagler association, although that day I was a Hagler fan :)

And I agree with you re: the Whitaker fight. I can accept that the scoring looks a bit wide. Some of the rounds were close enough for debate. I wish it could have been more to and fro

Federberg - I always ask anybody to watch the Hagler/Leonard fight with the commentary off and try and forget who's fighting. I always thought Hagler should have got that decision.

Anyway, the decision wasn't a travesty - I can see why people thought Floyd won on the cards... Just didn't score it the same myself.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
With all due respect to britbox, there is no way on earth Manny won that fight. Floyd was the ring general, dictated, and most importantly, just landed the cleaner better shots. I think at times people are swayed by who's moving forward.

I didn't even think it was a particularly close fight. Couldn't give Pacquiao more than 4 rounds, actually.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I personally had Manny 7-5 on rounds and if I was given a range I'd have gone to the other aspect of giving it Floyd 7-5. There were 4 rounds or so where you could have scored it either way. 118-110 from one of the judges was an absolute disgrace.

As I told one of my pals, you don't score points for slipping punches... as much as an impressive defensive display Floyd put on, I don't feel he even threw enough shots to take the fight, let alone landed enough. I could have lived with a one or maybe eve two round decision for Floyd... 118-110 gives Manny two rounds... shocking. Not the worst decision I've ever seen... Chavez/Whitaker tops that pol, but one of the poorest one-judge decisions I've ever seen.

According to the official stats Mayweather actually threw more punches than Pacquiao.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
With all due respect to britbox, there is no way on earth Manny won that fight. Floyd was the ring general, dictated, and most importantly, just landed the cleaner better shots. I think at times people are swayed by who's moving forward.

I didn't even think it was a particularly close fight. Couldn't give Pacquiao more than 4 rounds, actually.

That's how I saw it too. I really wish that Floyd TKO'd more opponents it would eliminate the controversy/ confusion..

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be clear I was rooting for Manny since Floyd is a legitimately garbage human being (although Manny trying to ban condoms in his country raises eyebrows, lol). But he was out-matched. Men against boys, honestly.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I think Manny comes across as a better human being than Floyd. Although I'm a bit sceptical about how real Mayweather's public persona is (wife beating apart of course). I admire the fact that Floyd has taken control of his career. One of the reasons that Arum hates him is that he got out of his relationship with him and took control of his destiny. I applaud him for that. Manny isn't a total saint though... he was quite the philanderer, and I really don't know what to think about how he's moved through weight classes. It's almost unprecedented in history... I just hope he hasn't had... help. I could well understand Floyds insistence on random testing the first time they tried to arrange the fight

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

With due respect BS, point out where and when Floyd landed solid shots. Personally, I don't think he did enough but accept a lot of the rounds were pretty close and could be called either way. I've said from the get-go it wasn't a controversial decision apart from one judge's scoring - which was a disgrace of Leonard/Hagler proportions.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
^I think Manny comes across as a better human being than Floyd. Although I'm a bit sceptical about how real Mayweather's public persona is (wife beating apart of course). I admire the fact that Floyd has taken control of his career. One of the reasons that Arum hates him is that he got out of his relationship with him and took control of his destiny. I applaud him for that. Manny isn't a total saint though... he was quite the philanderer, and I really don't know what to think about how he's moved through weight classes. It's almost unprecedented in history... I just hope he hasn't had... help. I could well understand Floyds insistence on random testing the first time they tried to arrange the fight

Both are absolute garbage human beings.

Floyd Mayweather is a certified woman beater with a history of domestic violence who beat his wife in front of their 8 year old son.

Manny Pacquiao is actively trying to exert political influence to ban contraceptives in his country, fight against LGBT rights, and against sexual education. In a way, what Manny's doing is actually more dangerous.

Both are amazing boxers though and that's why I watched last night. I maintain Manny was completely outclassed.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/05/is-pacquiao-a-sore-loser/?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The CNN updates round by round were from this guy. They had Manny leading 5-4 even after 9 rounds. As I did not see the fight, I am not agreeing or disagreeing. But, as I was following it through CNN updates, I thought Manny might win this one.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
He was watching a different fight to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 14