Madrid 2013 03-12May

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Two good matches on tap.
We have Petra vs. Daniela, as usual, Petra won the first set 6-2 but is having one of those Petra moments, she lost the second set by the same score.
Did you know Petra has never lost to Daniela in 6 previos meetings? But these two have never played a 3 setter...

We also have Ana vs. Luara, that match is about to begin. Ana is 1-0 against the young Brit.

Scores will be posted soon.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will never understand Petra Kvitova how she can blow someone out one set and then fall apart and get blown out the next set and then lose the last set horribly or barely scrape a win out in the 3rd set. Get it together you mental case.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I will never understand Petra Kvitova how she can blow someone out one set and then fall apart and get blown out the next set and then lose the last set horribly or barely scrape a win out in the 3rd set. Get it together you mental case.

She's very much like another Czech, Hana Mandlikova. She could play the most beautiful mind blowing tennis, and then go on "walkabouts."

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's Kvitova - her life in a roller coaster:) She's very inconsistent and now she's out too - sort saying Kvitova kvits - get it:) 62 26 36

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Madrid 2013: May 8th

Ana had to beat Laura in the 3rd set tie-breaker.
201305081733632198069-p2@stats.com.jpg

Complete scores:

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

singles - Third round
[6] Angelique Kerber (GER) d Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) | 3 - 6 | 6 - 4 | 7 - 5 |
[16] Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d Laura Robson (GBR) | 5 - 7 | 6 - 2 | 7 - 6 (5) |

singles - Second round
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) d [8] Petra Kvitova (CZE) | 2 - 6 | 6 - 2 | 6 - 3 |
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) d Julia Goerges (GER) | 0 - 0 |
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d [3] Victoria Azarenka (BLR) | 1 - 6 | 6 - 2 | 6 - 3 |
Kaia Kanepi (EST) d Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 1 |
[13] Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) | 6 (5) - 7 | 6 - 1 | 6 - 4 |

doubles - Second round
S Kuznetsova / F Pennetta (RUS/ITA) d [1] A Hlavackova / L Hradecka (CZE/CZE) | 6 - 2 | 6 - 4 |
S Soler-Espinosa / C Suarez Navarro (ESP/ESP) d L Dekmeijere / O Kalashnikova (LAT/GEO) | 7 - 6 (2) | 6 - 4 |
[3] E Makarova / E Vesnina (RUS/RUS) d H Chan / O Govortsova (TPE/BLR) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 3 |
A Pavlyuchenkova / L Safarova (RUS/CZE) d [5] B Mattek-Sands / S Mirza (USA/IND) | 7 - 5 | 6 - 1 |
J Husarova / S Lisicki (SVK/GER) d [2] N Petrova / K Srebotnik (RUS/SLO) | 7 - 5 | 5 - 7 | 10 - 6 |

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

She's very much like another Czech, Hana Mandlikova. She could play the most beautiful mind blowing tennis, and then go on "walkabouts."

But at least Hana was in decent physical shape. The physical shape that Kvitova is in on the other hand.....it's unacceptable for a professional athlete really.

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

And what a fighter she is - Even when her shots crumble and it looked like that she was completely out of her game she still managed to win the important points and hang tough - That's why Masha is my role model - Not because she's a great tennis player - which she is - not because of her beauty - which many thinks she has - not because of her huge popularity on her Facebook page - she has more followers than all the other top 10 players combined - not because of her earnings - which are more than any other female athlete on the planet - but because of her will to win - her ability to focus and never give up even when things don't go her way - It happens that she loses anyways - but not often - Nearly very other player would have given up in a situation like Masha was in today in the second set - but not Masha!! - Well done Masha!!! - H2H Masha vs Lisicki is now 5-1

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
MashaFan said:
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

And what a fighter she is - Even when her shots crumble and it looked like that she was completely out of her game she still managed to win the important points and hang tough - That's why Masha is my role model - Not because she's a great tennis player - which she is - not because of her beauty - which many thinks she has - not because of her earnings - which are more than any other female athlete on the planet - but because of her will to win - her ability to focus and never give up even when things don't go her way - It happens that she loses anyways - but not often - Nearly very other player would have given up in a situation like Masha was in today in the second set - but not Masha!! - Well done Masha!!! - H2H Masha vs Lisicki is now 5-1

Well said. ;)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena did a pretty impressive job of dismantling Kirilenko. Her serve was on fire. Looks like she only lost a total of 2 points on her serve the entire match. Bodes well for her if she can continue serving well.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Masha - she's playing better and better - or maybe a better word to use fighting better. Even if she's down in the valley she battles her way back on top - bravo girl:)

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena did a pretty impressive job of dismantling Kirilenko. Her serve was on fire. Looks like she only lost a total of 2 points on her serve the entire match. Bodes well for her if she can continue serving well.

2 POINTS...DANNNNNNGGGGG!!

Notice has been served!!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
Congrats to Masha - she's playing better and better - or maybe a better word to use fighting better. Even if she's down in the valley she battles her way back on top - bravo girl:)

I was going to say the fight was impressive, but her game broke down at the weirdest of times. It was like most are saying a shaky match.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
[/quote]

But at least Hana was in decent physical shape. The physical shape that Kvitova is in on the other hand.....it's unacceptable for a professional athlete really.
[/quote]

Yea, but, Serena beat down some of the best players of her generation and won slams and I'd argue she was probably in worst shape comparably as bad of shape as Kvitova.

Petra, unfortunately isn't as athletically gifted, say as a Hana, so, fitness is more important for her

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Notice has been served!!

I would take this with a grain of salt though we know how hot and cold Serena can be. Though truly impressive to go an entire match and lose only 2 points on serve. It does look like she is finding some consistency with her serve on clay of all places. She will definitely need it. I hope she doesn't peak too early before the French. She will need serving stats like that at the French.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Notice has been served!!

I would take this with a grain of salt though we know how hot and cold Serena can be. Though truly impressive to go an entire match and lose only 2 points on serve. It does look like she is finding some consistency with her serve on clay of all places. She will definitely need it. I hope she doesn't peak too early before the French. She will need serving stats like that at the French.

Not sure I understand the "peak to early" comment, as tennis player's compete an entire season and have to be ready all the time.

The issue has never been about peaking the right moment for the French, she's more or less has had several opportunities there, just errors or opponents stepping it up have prevented her from going further.

It's more about her head and how much pressure she'll put on herself.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Notice has been served!!

Not sure I understand the "peak to early" comment, as tennis player's compete an entire season and have to be ready all the time.

The issue has never been about peaking the right moment for the French, she's more or less has had several opportunities there, just errors or opponents stepping it up have prevented her from going further.

It's more about her head and how much pressure she'll put on herself.

Well I think winning a red clay tournament whether it is here or Rome would help her immensely in her confidence on the red stuff.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding Ding! We have a winner! I always thought she should do that more and mix up her pacing on her serve better. I hope she incorporates more of this to throw off say a Maria or Vika on their return game. An excerpt from what Serena said:

"I just felt really relaxed, like I was taking my time," Williams said. "I had been missing my serve when I was hitting it harder, so I took some pace off and didn't hit as hard as I usually do.

"It was easy because when you take off pace you don't hit as hard and don't exhaust as much energy. And hitting a serve or a winner are both fun."

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Kaia Kanepi beat Daniela in straight sets, now she will face Masha.
She better bring real guns this time to her gunfight against Masha, this is what happpened last time:
I've never liked the awkward cliche, don't bring a water pistol to a gun fight. But that's just what Kanepi did today.....
from this article:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2012/06/french-open-sharapova-d-kanepi/38387/#.UYvVg7U3u5I

Makarova and Bartoli are playing, lets see how this one turns out.

SingleBackhand

Club Member
Reactions
Well this tournament sure has had a lot of surprises. One top seed after another has left the scene in early stages and Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber and Sara Errani are the only top seeds in the QFs left.

Today's matches have been hot and cold. Serena was way superior MaKiri 63, 61
The Maria Sharapova match vs Sabine Lisicki was a thrill in the second set - I thought it would go all the way but somehow Maria managed to win the match in straights
Kia Kanepi's victory over Daniela Hantuchova 63, 64 was a bit of a surprise since Daniela played so well against P. Kvitova
Ekaterina marched on after her unexpected win over Victoria Azarenka and defeated Marion Bartoli 63, 62 wow!!! Ekaterina seems to be on fire!
Sara Errani has just defeated Varvara Lecpchenko 75, 63

We'll see what is going to happen in the QFs tomorrow starting with Serena Williams vs Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) 10:50 local time