Madrid 2013 03-12May

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another favorite bites the dust and I dare say - I told you so. Sam Stosur is the second top 10 seed Navarro has beaten in a few weeks time - and well done it was. So whoever is next beware there's a Spaniard in the works - and she's good:):):) 76 62. I can see it's Kanepi who is up for grabs next time and I think Navarro will make that too.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Suarez has been playing well ..

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Well - it was not the most entertaining match and the first set was annoying for a Masha fan because she was hitting so many unforced errors but hey - maybe I'm spoiled with all her bagels and bread sticks - Anyways Masha came through in straights and she lives to play another round - That makes me a happy person
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Vamos Masha!!!

photoshoot.jpg

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Christina McHale seems to be bouncing out of her slump. Kerber too.

Sara Errani was in trouble in her match against Sorana, behind in the third set, Sara pulled through and won the match.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry to see Stosur exit. Anxiously awaiting the Vika vs Pavly match. I will not be surprised if Vika lost, but hoping she can make it far enough to face Serena.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Aggie is about to be kicked out of here by the young Brit, Laura Robson, now behind a set and 2 breaks in the second set.

Laura leads 5-1
Aggie needs a miracle...

SingleBackhand

Club Member
Reactions
Wow Another top 10 player bites the dust. Laura Robson defeated Agniezska Radwanska in straights 63, 61 and is through to R3. What an upset!!!
Congrats Laura! I bet people are cheering in Great Britain :D

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
It is so sad to see Women's tennis so unappreciated. I'll admit that I prefer men's tennis to women's. But I do enjoy women's tennis. And to watch this Azarenka v Pavlyuchenkova match and see so few in the stands is just sad.

With that said, Azarenka has just secured the first break of the match for a 4-3 lead.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I tell ya, I do like Pavlyuchenkova. I have since she went up the rankings 2 or 3 years ago. But I gave up on her because she just stayed in the top 20 for a while and then started to fall out of the top 20. But she's kickin it again, and while I love Azarenka, it would not break my heart to see Pavlyuchenkova win this. I doubt she will. But, it'd be a nice change up.

We have ourselves a tiebreaker y'all! Good job by Pavlyuchenkova to get back into it. And she's taken the first point of the tiebreak.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Tie breaker anyone?

Pavly has not given up. Do you think Hingis has given her this much boost?

Oooooh, I love to see her coming onto that court for a talk.
:)

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well Pavlyuchenkova let go. She had the set in her hands. She just couldn't pull it off. Azarenka takes it 10-8. It was a battle though. At the first switch Pavlyuchenkova had the lead 4-2, with Azarenka to serve one more point. Azarenka won that point but then Pavlyuchenkova won both of her points to go up 6-3. But she missed a second serve return the next point and Azarenka hit a great shot the next point. They switched at 6-6 and Azarenka seemed to take control. Hopefully Pavlyuchenkova doesn't just disappear.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Up 40/30 and trailing 3-5 games in the second set, Pavly broke again. it's now 4-5 and Nastia will serve to stay in the match.

She has given Vika plenty of fight.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well a disappointing collapse from Pavlyuchenkova. But she fought well for the entire match until the last 10 minutes. She just couldn't handle the idea of winning I guess. I mean, she wasn't anywhere near winning. It was just the set. But, I guess it was too much. Azarenka got away with this one. Though that is not to say she didn't play well. She did play well for most of the match today. Just had some lags. Which is to be expected in her first clay effort of the year.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Madrid 2013: May 6th

Scores:
SINGLES - SECOND ROUND
Laura Robson (GBR) d [4] Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) | 6 - 3 | 6 - 1 |
[6] Angelique Kerber (GER) d Alize Cornet (FRA) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 2 |
[7] Sara Errani (ITA) d Sorana Cirstea (ROU) | 7 - 5 | 2 - 6 | 6 - 4 |

SINGLES - FIRST ROUND
Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) d [9] Samantha Stosur (AUS) | 7 - 6 (7) | 6 - 2 |
Christina McHale (USA) d Shuai Peng (CHN) | 7 - 5 | 5 - 7 | 6 - 1 |
[3] Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) | 7 - 6 (8) | 7 - 6 (3) |
[2] Maria Sharapova (RUS) d Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) | 7 - 5 | 6 - 2 |
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) d Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) | 6 - 1 | 6 - 1 |

DOUBLES - FIRST ROUND
S Kuznetsova / F Pennetta (RUS/ITA) d D Cibulkova / L Huber (SVK/USA) | 6 - 3 | 5 - 7 | 10 - 6 | MATCH DETAILS
C Black / M Erakovic (ZIM/NZL) d A Cornet / F Schiavone (FRA/ITA) | 7 - 6 (3) | 6 - 1 |
K Mladenovic / G Voskoboeva (FRA/KAZ) d [7] S Zhang / J Zheng (CHN/CHN) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 1 |
[5] B Mattek-Sands / S Mirza (USA/IND) d D Hantuchova / A Medina Garrigues (SVK/ESP) | 7 - 6 (3) | 4 - 6 | 10 - 4 |
H Chan / O Govortsova (TPE/BLR) d S Arvidsson / J Larsson (SWE/SWE) | 6 (2) - 7 | 7 - 5 | 10 - 8 |
V Lepchenko / A Rodionova (USA/AUS) d D Jurak / K Marosi (CRO/HUN) | 6 - 4 | 6 - 3 |

First round is completed. #4 and #9 said goodbye.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
MashaFan said:
Well - it was not the most entertaining match and the first set was annoying for a Masha fan because she was hitting so many unforced errors but hey - maybe I'm spoiled with all her bagels and bread sticks
She seemed to have a bit of a cold, so I think she did ok. It wasn't vintage Maria, but it was allright.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Woo hoo Serena into round 3 :D! Have to tighten up that serve and groundies, but it is coming together :)!

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Sabine wins with 2 tie-breakers. Into the 3rds round she goes, there she will be awaiting Masha or McHale.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
10sfan said:
Can anyone comment on how Vika's ankle looked? With her, an injury can happen at any moment. Physical frailty is the bane of her existence.

I read a couple of reviews and there were no mention of the ankle.

The Russian Duel comtinues, now all even at one set a piece.
Into the deciding set we go.