Madrid 2013 03-12May

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Yay!

The one we have been so patiently waiting for.

Should I remind you all who the defending Champion is?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am excited to see the draw for this event. The fun one will be where Vika lands and how she will return in regard to form. Li will also be the other one to watch in terms of placement.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Here is how Masha can overtake Serena as #1

If Serena.....Maria Needs
1r------------------3r

2r------------------1/4

3r------------------1/2

1/4-----------------1/2

1/2-----------------F

F-------------------W

W------------------ No Chance

Serena better not lose early.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Or show the list to Masha lol ;)! Serena has been on the red clay practicing since April 25th, so she should be feeling good about her movement at the very least from what she tweeted.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
Here is how Masha can overtake Serena as #1

If Serena.....Maria Needs
1r------------------3r

2r------------------1/4

3r------------------1/2

1/4-----------------1/2

1/2-----------------F

F-------------------W

W------------------ No Chance

Serena better not lose early.

If she loses early, aside from the ranking, doesn't change much in the whole scheme of things.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah Maria and Serena will still be on opposite sides of the draw for the French. Serena will also probably regain the ranking after the French anyway. I fully expect her to do better than the first round this year, and Masha has to defend.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Calvy said:
If she loses early, aside from the ranking, doesn't change much in the whole scheme of things.

Obviously that's your opinion, don't tell that to Masha!
:D

Sundaymorningguy said:
Yeah Maria and Serena will still be on opposite sides of the draw for the French. Serena will also probably regain the ranking after the French anyway. I fully expect her to do better than the first round this year, and Masha has to defend.
You are going too fast there, there is Rome in between, 900 point event that Masha is defending.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hate the layout for this tournament's website!

Kiu said:
Calvy said:

Obviously that's your opinion, don't tell that to Masha!
:D

Sundaymorningguy said:
You are going too fast there, there is Rome in between, 900 point event that Masha is defending.

I know, but again like I said before I trust Maria to make it farther in a clay tournament before I trust Serena to do it. She should definitely reclaim number 1 after the French for sure as Maria is defending and can't really add from here on out until Wimbledon. Serena definitely needs a strong showing this clay season as well as at the French. I trust her to repeat Wimbledon and perhaps defend a title or two this summer. The big one will be the US Open and will she keep her focus that long.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another high on the WTA tour - Madrid. As Serena so is Caroline practising on red clay - here photographed with Manolo Santana - a former Spanish tennis icon - to the left - don't know who the other guy is. Caro looks fine I think:

BJM3YCaCUAAtmcV.jpg
[/u]

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Calvy said:
So, losing the #1 ranking in early clay season doesn't matter!

It will matter if Serena loses early in FO 2013...

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
Calvy said:

I'm sure her main objective is winning the FO. I'd bet if you asked her, what's more important, holding on to number 1 after Madrid or winning the FO, she'd choose the FO.

Unlike other former number 1's, her main objective is slam accumulation.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I am excited to see the draw for this event. The fun one will be where Vika lands and how she will return in regard to form. Li will also be the other one to watch in terms of placement.

Vika's injury was ankle tendinitis which typically takes many weeks to subside. I am not sure she will get far at this tournament. In addition, clay is not where she shines. I think Serena, Pova, and Li are the top contenders here.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Kiu said:
Calvy said:

I'm sure her main objective is winning the FO. I'd bet if you asked her, what's more important, holding on to number 1 after Madrid or winning the FO, she'd choose the FO.

Well, she can't win the FO in Madrid, so while she's there I'm sure she'll try to win that one as well.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Calvy said:
Kiu said:
Calvy said:

Well, she can't win the FO in Madrid, so while she's there I'm sure she'll try to win that one as well.
I agree, but, I think Kui is confused at what is her main objective. Number 1 is great, but in the end she most covets winning that French.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
The draw is out.

http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-draws/tournamentId/1479/round/1/rangeStart/1/rangeEnd/16

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Presentacion_5601.jpg

10sfan said:
The draw is out.

http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-draws/tournamentId/1479/round/1/rangeStart/1/rangeEnd/16

Vika ended up in Serena's half along with Li, Caro, Venus and Sara

Masha's half has Kerber, Aggie, Stosur, JJ and Ana.

Score board here:
http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-draws/tournamentId/1479/type/LS/title/mutua-madrid-open

Qualifying rounds already started.
Petko and BMS are going at it.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is pretty top heavy! Though this is the exact type of draw Serena will have to play through if she wants to win the French again!

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
It is pretty top heavy!

I think so too.
I see many(Li, Vika, Venus, Caro) in the top of the draw that can bother Serena but only Petra and Sabine in the bottom that can bother Masha.

We have a potential Li vs Venus second rounder.
And we have some juicy first rounders like Vesnina vs. Bartoli and Vika vs. Pavly.
I will not be surprised much if Sara loses in the first round.