Laver Cup 2022, London, England

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A total of 96,154 people attended Laver Cup ( the most on Friday night 16,482) and more than 350 media representatives from 35 countries were onsite to report the event. Laver Cup was broadcast in more than 220 countries.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I will be interested to see if the Laver Cup in 2023, in Vancouver, will it have the same hype and attract tennis fans?
I personally prefer Davis Cup even though the officials have stuffed up the original format.
I think the hype was a one off because of Federer playing his last match

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard Johnny Mac say something in his speech about next year being his last year. I wonder if he and Borg had a set contract. Maybe Roger will coach/captain Europe, after that. Also, I wonder if Rafa and Novak will ever play again. That could certainly even things up a bit more. The World won today, despite no one giving them a snowball's chance. Maybe it will finally stop feeling quite like an exhibition, after all.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
While I really appreciate this, I also feel like they should really expand and hit places in Central and South America, Africa, and Asia to expand and give those areas an opportunity to see top tennis talent. I hate how Euro and North America centric tennis is, and this tournament is a prime opportunity to move away from that.
That's a good idea, but do you think those countries you mentioned could sell out the tournament like a European/NA American venue could?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard Johnny Mac say something in his speech about next year being his last year. I wonder if he and Borg had a set contract. Maybe Roger will coach/captain Europe, after that. Also, I wonder if Rafa and Novak will ever play again. That could certainly even things up a bit more. The World won today, despite no one giving them a snowball's chance. Maybe it will finally stop feeling quite like an exhibition, after all.
I read earlier it could be next year for both, some media outlets were saying it is this year?, I have not heard from Borg whether this is his last year or he will continue for 1 more year

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's a good idea, but do you think those countries you mentioned could sell out the tournament like a European/NA American venue could?
I think South America could for sure. I think Africa and Asia would depend on the location. I think Japan, Korea, India, South Africa, Morroco could all be good spots even offering something in Australia would be good.

Reactions: TheSicilian

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My general impression from Rafa was he didn’t seem interested in playing tennis for the rest of the year. He seemed stressed with everything happening for him outside of tennis.

Reactions: Fiero425

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think South America could for sure. I think Africa and Asia would depend on the location. I think Japan, Korea, India, South Africa, Morroco could all be good spots even offering something in Australia would be good.
I think it would be great in the locations you mentioned maybe in the future we will see it happen!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a great idea, but there does have to be some attention paid to how it fits into the travel calendar. However, being "stand-alone," they should consider it kind of an ambassador tour. South Africa would be interesting, given Roger's relationship there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My general impression from Rafa was he didn’t seem interested in playing tennis for the rest of the year. He seemed stressed with everything happening for him outside of tennis.
I'd be perfectly happy if he writes off the rest of this year and just lets it be about family.

Reactions: Fiero425

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
This is a great idea, but there does have to be some attention paid to how it fits into the travel calendar. However, being "stand-alone," they should consider it kind of an ambassador tour. South Africa would be interesting, given Roger's relationship there.
They could play it after the WTF Tournament? With the season over they would get more freedom over where they could travel to.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Sicilian,

BTW The ATP Cup is now axed in Australia, I did a post on it in the ATP mens news, the new re-vamped Hopman Cup will now be called the United Cup, where men and women will play for their countries, like the Hopman Cup format.It was very popular here in Australia by all the men and women players, I had visited it when it was played in Perth, tennis fans came out in droves to watch it.

Last edited:

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
I'm catching up on some of the matches.
Tiafoe is such a likeable character.
His reaction and congrats to FAA was great!

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran