Laver Cup 2023, Vancouver, Canada

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 4.31.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 4.32.05 PM.png

The Tournament:

The Laver Cup is an international indoor hard court men's team tennis tournament between Team Europe and Team World, the latter of which is composed of players from all other continents except Europe. Usually held annually since 2017, the tournament is intended to be the Ryder Cup of the tennis world. It normally takes place two weeks after the US Open, with the location rotating between various host cities (that usually do not have an ATP Tour event); alternating yearly between European cities and cities in the rest of the world. In addition to the guaranteed participation fees which are based upon the players' ATP rankings, each member of the winning team gets $250,000 in prize money, but the tournament itself does not count towards the players' point totals in the ATP Tour for that year.

In May 2019, the Laver Cup became an officially sanctioned ATP Tour event. Matches during the Laver Cup tournament differ from conventional 3-set matches played on the ATP Tour; in the event when the match is tied at one set all, a 10-point “match tiebreak” is played instead of a deciding final set (this is to ensure that all matches conclude within a reasonable timeframe of approximately two hours, whilst enabling four matches to be completed within a match day – that begins either at 1 pm local time for Days 1 and 2, or at 12 noon local time for the final Day 3 of the tournament). In addition, unlike conventional ATP tour matches, coaching of match participants is commonly applied courtside by teammates and team captains.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina will replace Holger Rune in Laver Cup for Team Europe. Holger is still dealing with some injury issues.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alternate Arthur Fils will replace Stefanos Tsitsipas on Team Europe for Laver Cup. Tsistsipas has withdrawn due to injury.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Alternate Arthur Fils will replace Stefanos Tsitsipas on Team Europe for Laver Cup. Tsistsipas has withdrawn due to injury.
Wow. So no slam champs at the LC. Do they have any M1000 winners still in play?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Wow. So no slam champs at the LC. Do they have any M1000 winners still in play?

They had such a great start / creation of an event (The Laver Cup) w/ the past, present, & future of tennis being represented from around the world! They had Borg & McEnroe w/ a true legacy of greatness going back 30 years! Then there were players who are legendary while still playing on the tour in Fedalovic! After all's said and done, LC was destined to be a 5th rate exhibition w/ few top players engaging due to the season already runing players down! This event doesn't exacty give them a respite, even though not as competitive! I doubt top players in the future will waste time w/ this event; esp. while DC is still taking up press! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Blast from the past. Roscoe I-wrote-bad-checks-and-landed-in-the-slammer Tanner. And former top junior Gunhardt. I don’t believe I’ve thought of either one of them in 20 years.
Yeah I had to check with Tanner, I knew he was in the news, wasn’t sure if it wasn’t something really bad, if you get me!

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah I had to check with Tanner, I knew he was in the news, wasn’t sure if it wasn’t something really bad, if you get me!
It’s sad, his life began spinning out of control 20 years ago (with the checks). I didn’t know it continued spinning. Paul Annacone tried to help him out. I didn’t know that either.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They had such a great start / creation of an event (The Laver Cup) w/ the past, present, & future of tennis being represented from around the world! They had Borg & McEnroe w/ a true legacy of greatness foing back 30 years! Then there were players who are legendary while still playing on the tour in Fedalovic! After all's said and done, LC was destined to be a 5th rate exhibition w/ few top players ingaging due to the season already runing players down! This event doesn't exacty give them a respite, even though not as competitive! I doubt top players in the future will waste time w/ this event; esp. while DC is still taking up press! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I think it's way better than 5th-rate, but I do agree that it's pretty much an exhibition. I think it's fun, though.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: the AntiPusher