Laver Cup 2022, London, England

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh boy, to me the Laver Cup this year has been a bit off…..as it was made to be almost all about Roger. Roger this and Roger that, finally it’s game set and match ROGER!!!!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At present tennis is the farthest thing Rafa has his mind on.
I hope all is well with his wife and the pregnancy.He must be nervous and stressed to be a father.He seems like someone who wants control and with pregnancy he has no control..

Reactions: Moxie

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
I hope all is well with his wife and the pregnancy.He must be nervous and stressed to be a father.He seems like someone who wants control and with pregnancy he has no control..
Nature pretty much on autopilot!

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What a turnaround by World when after Day 2 it seemed like Europe was going to run with another win. I’m so glad to see Felix and Tiafoe really push World to the win. Sock was crucial in doubles as he had some fantastic plays in doubles.
Well I did say back when the team was announced that Sock and anybody is good for a point. The guy just rocks as a doubs player.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well I did say back when the team was announced that Sock and anybody is good for a point. The guy just rocks as a doubs player.
True enough. But, IIRC, you were another one who didn't give World a snowball's chance, like everyone else. If this thing is ever going to take the exhibition stink off of itself, it will be with this kind of surprise. I think the outcome was good for the event. Very fun.

Reactions: tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes ma'am, it was very evident vs Fedal. Tiafoe was a BEAST but Sock's doubles IQ is second to none.i know Rafa and Roger would have pulled out the match if Roger's was match tough and not the last of his career. Think about it MP and Fed has the match on his racket. A real story book ending scenario that even the Tennis Gods could not deny but the doubles savvy of Jack Sock did.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
True enough. But, IIRC, you were another one who didn't give World a snowball's chance, like everyone else. If this thing is ever going to take the exhibition stink off of itself, it will be with this kind of surprise. I think the outcome was good for the event. Very fun.
I won't deny it. Anyone w/ eyes said it was a snowball's chance for Team World. I'm actually glad they won. I was hoping they would do it when I went in 2018. That's the year K.A. beat Djoke in singles and Nicky was playing pretty well too. But I digress, we'll see who shows up next year when it's on this side of the pond.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I won't deny it. Anyone w/ eyes said it was a snowball's chance for Team World. I'm actually glad they won. I was hoping they would do it when I went in 2018. That's the year K.A. beat Djoke in singles and Nicky was playing pretty well too. But I digress, we'll see who shows up next year when it's on this side of the pond.
You know I'm not giving you a hard time, in particular, because no one saw this win coming for World. With Roger now retired, it's less likely to feel like a vanity project for him. (And I mean that less snarky than it sounds, but it HAS felt like Roger's party to fete Laver, with a few great players invited.) I would dare say that Rafa and Novak may never play again. Which will help level the field and make it more interesting. I think the format is fun, and is substituting, in short, for what has been lost by the endless confusion of what Davis Cup once was. And is there still an ATP Cup? There may yet be a purpose for it, if it can find its way. And Vancouver is such a lovely town.