Juan Martin del Potro injury update: Rehab/Practicing. Intends return Jan/Feb '16

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Breaking news: Juan Martin del Potro surgery will sideline him for rest of season

By the way, can we change the thread title to "The Del Potro Thread" or something like that, just because every time it pops up after a while I think he's out for the year. On second thought, he might be, so the thread title might apply to every year ever, but you get the point.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Breaking news: Juan Martin del Potro surgery will sideline him for rest of season

A coach is useless for the moment, let's be realist. He'll see when he can play

tented

Administrator
Reactions

isabelle said:
A coach is useless for the moment, let's be realist. He'll see when he can play

I seem to recall reading somewhere that JMDP had been paying his coach this entire time, but I'm guessing this decision was a convergence of JMDP realizing he can't keep paying him to do nothing, and his coach being bored with nothing to do. Perhaps another player approached Davin, which put this into motion.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Well, at least he sounds optimistic. I'm not that optimist for his future (I don't believe the future can be good after 4 wrist surgeries unfortunately) but I hope he can return and to a high standard. Will believe it when I see it though. If he returns to play hitting much softer forehands and still unable to hit 2 handed backhands (especially down the line) he's not gonna win many big matches and won't challenge the top echelon. His forehand post right wrist surgery was nowhere near as powerful either.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/07/juan-martin-del-potro-more-commited-ever-tour-return/55796/#.VbqZ4flm50I

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ This is bordering on the tragic. He is committed to returning to the tour, but I agree with you, Front, that his forehand hadn't really come back to its former power. We all hope he can regain full strength and power, but even if that happens, he still has to rebuild his game, and now his team. The man really has a mountain to climb. It's hard to imagine we'll see him playing again this year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Definitely bordering on tragic at this stage. He was almost in tears on the video he posted not long ago about how he misses playing. Feel sorry for him. Lousy to have had 4 wrist surgeries at 26, or any age for that matter but it's not good in the long term. I'd very much to see him back playing well, as with Rafa and Roger ageing, there's a bit of a void out there where another challenger is needed but I someone doubt it's gonna be Del Potro.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Poor Juan, his career looks like Pim Pim Johanson's one

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

He might not have gotten his forehand back to 100%, but it was still his biggest weapon and he made it to the top 5. I can't say I am optimistic, but crazier things have happened (Stan Wawrinka).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Riotbeard said:
He might not have gotten his forehand back to 100%, but it was still his biggest weapon and he made it to the top 5. I can't say I am optimistic, but crazier things have happened (Stan Wawrinka).

Except that Stan did not come out of injury and win GSs. Stan just decided not be a prisoner of his own mind anymore and won GSs.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:

Except that Stan did not come out of injury and win GSs. Stan just decided not be a prisoner of his own mind anymore and won GSs.

True, Stanimal avoided big injuries that's why he still rocks at the age of 30.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

isabelle said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Riotbeard said:

True, Stanimal avoided big injuries that's why he still rocks at the age of 30.

My point wasn't they are the same, but there have been more surprising things than it would be for Juan to return to at least form he got after the last injury. He almost won Indian Wells with a questionable left wrist.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Who will make the better comeback, Del Potro after 4 wrist surgeries or Soderling who is hopefully back next year, almost 5 years off tour but otherwise injury free?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Del Potro because unlike Soderling, he'll actually come back at some point.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Del Potro because unlike Soderling, he'll actually come back at some point.

We shall see.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Juan M. del Potro ‏@delpotrojuan 22h22 hours ago
Hello everyone! I share with you a couple of pics of my first days of rehab. Thanks for being there!!!

CMODJfAWIAENGmX.jpg

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

^^del potro embracing his inner rocky.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

^^del potro will get to that part in a bit.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg said:
^^del potro will get to that part in a bit.

Would that make the guy in white Nalbandian??