Juan Martin del Potro injury update: Rehab/Practicing. Intends return Jan/Feb '16

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
If you think Andy has it bad, recovering from his back surgery... look at the case of the unfortunate Mr. Juan Martin del Potro. He is scheduled to have surgery on his other wrist (left) on Monday.

He is going to be completely out of action waiting for the surgery to heal for at least 8-10 months. :cry One has to feel very sad for the big guy.

He rose up to take the tennis world by storm in 2009, winning the US Open defeating the 5 time consecutive champion Roger Federer.
He's one of the only players who is able to beat all of the top players when he is playing well.
It took him about 2 years to get his game back near to where it was after his right wrist surgery in early 2010 after the Australian Open.
His prime years are slipping away. Simply devastating news for Juan Martin.

Let's take a moment and all wish him a successful surgery and a good recuperative period.

Story: http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Breaking-Season-Ended-for-Juan-Martin-Del-Potro-Wrist-surgery-for-the-Argentine-yet-again-articolo16801.html

Respectfully,
masterclass

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Breaking news: Juan Martin del Potro surgery will sideline him for rest of season

Terrible news. I don't think his career will ever be the same.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
RE: Breaking news: Juan Martin del Potro surgery will sideline him for rest of season

Awful news. I like him a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed several of his matches last year. I thought he was finally back, but obviously not.

I hope the surgery goes well, so that he can return as soon as possible.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

This is the worst news imagineable. The guy has been brutally cursed by injury since his big breakthrough... :nono

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Sad news. If I were to look for a silver lining, I would say this is a chance for him to solely focus on his fitness, cardio and movement. As soon as he can , he should start working on footwork. He is still young...no reason he should not have a great 4-5 years after this.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions

Is there any chance he could experiment going to a one-handed backhand at this stage?

I started with a one-handed backhand, and after I got into my 30's, I began playing a two hander against players that hit a lot of topspin, but I don't have any experience about the other way around.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

I think at that level, such a switch would be difficult to achieve, at any high level. Plus, the switch from one to two is easier to make than from two to one.

He'd be quicker coming back from the injury...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

It's about time really that he decided to do this. It'll keep him out for quite some time but it's the only answer. The way he's going without the surgery is pointless.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

masterclass said:
Is there any chance he could experiment going to a one-handed backhand at this stage?

I started with a one-handed backhand, and after I got into my 30's, I began playing a two hander against players that hit a lot of topspin, but I don't have any experience about the other way around.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Highly doubtful. Plus, the double handed backhand might be a tad easier on his wrist since he can use his left hand for back-up.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Will he be able to avail of protected ranking now?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

:(

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

The way he was going he gonna be barely playing at all anyway for the period of time he'll be out. A match here, a match there, poor losses, withdrawals at the last minute which is unfair to other players as it messes up the draws. All in all it's about time he decided to have surgery and given his right wrist seems fine since that surgery, he should hopefully come back ready to compete properly.

Taking 8-10 months to recover properly is way better than never fixing the problem and playing in pain and getting poor results, or in most recent cases not playing at all due to pain.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Sad news, but the right thing to do, I think. He doesn't turn 26 until September, so making a comeback next year at age 26 isn't impossible and if he takes all of next year to get back into top shape, he's still got a few years of good tennis left in him. This might even extend his career a bit, especially if he takes care of himself over the next year.

Not to be callous, but it has interesting ramifications for the rest of the tour. Juan Martin was a sure-thing for the top 8 (assuming decent health) but he'll be slipping out shortly enough, and with only 385 points to date will be out of the top 100 by year's end. But the point is, the #9 ranking--currently held by John Isner--has greater importance now, with an easier route to a Slam QF. Not sure that many of the elite players want to face Isner in the QF.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

:( :(

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Still wondering about protected ranking as I'm not sure how it works but is he able to avail of this? I'm guessing no as Nadal wasn't able to so what's the criteria for being allowed to use protected ranking?

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Front242 said:
Still wondering about protected ranking as I'm not sure how it works but is he able to avail of this? I'm guessing no as Nadal wasn't able to so what's the criteria for being allowed to use protected ranking?

You need to check the ATP Rulebook, which is available on their website.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Ok cool. Gonna have a look now. Cheers.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Q. What is a protected ranking and who is eligible?
A. A player may petition the Executive Chairman & President for an Entry Protection when he is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a minimum period of six months. The written petition must be received within six months of his last tournament.

The Entry Protection shall be a position in the Emirates ATP Rankings, as determined by the player's average Emirates ATP Rankings position during the first three months of his injury. The Entry Protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The Entry Protection shall not be used for seeding purposes, Lucky Loser consideration or for entry into the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

The Entry Protection shall be in effect for either the first nine tournaments that the player competes in using the Entry Protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a Direct Acceptance with his current position in the Emirates ATP Rankings) or for the period up to nine months beginning with the first tennis event that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of twelve (12) months or longer, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first twelve (12) singles tournaments and the first twelve (12) doubles tournaments that the player competes in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the Emirates ATP Rankings) or for the period up to twelve (12) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

^ Thanks, Front.

So, since the projected recovery period is 8-10 months, JMDP will be eligible.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Yup. That's very handy for him and will make things a lot easier when he comes back.