[Jonathan Northrop] Djokovic: 2011-13...signs of concern?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Djokovic: 2011-13...signs of concern? And will he finish #1 this year?

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
is this a surreal thread or what ??..the comedy corner :huh:

djokovic is nearly 4'000 rank points ahead of murray, hmmm yes..really struggling he is. :s

Over-react much, Jesus? :p Not one person in this thread has said Djokovic is "really struggling" or anything about his "demise."

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

The only concern for Djoker should be that he let a winning match get away from him, like Fed said of several matches he lost "i should have never lost that match". This was a mental blip of concern, which we didn't see from him in previous years. Nadal on the other hand, doesn't let it get away once he is in such firm control of a match.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

johnsteinbeck said:

djokovic is nearly 4'000 rank points ahead of murray, hmmm yes..really struggling he is. :s

die you even read the post, or did ya stop at the title? it's a fair breakdown of nole 's results. and atm, Murray is far from the one threatening to take #1. novak has a comfortable lead mainly because his first two pursuers had even worse spring results than he does. Rafa on the other hand hasn't missed a final since he's back, and is gaining a lot of ground even with half a year missing. that said, of course fall will be another question, and hardcourts in general (although afair he did rather well at the one us hc event he played). i reckon wimbledon will be decisive. if Rafa outdoes Novak there, nole could still keep the ye#1, but once they're in Oz...

as i said elsewhere - this is getting way ahead of ourselves, of course. nonetheless, it is the current state of affairs and a visible trend. Dude did well to point out the significant falloff compared to not just 11 but 12 as well.

it was a light hearted comment, but it didn't come across like it :-/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

ricardo said:
The only concern for Djoker should be that he let a winning match get away from him, like Fed said of several matches he lost "i should have never lost that match". This was a mental blip of concern, which we didn't see from him in previous years. Nadal on the other hand, doesn't let it get away once he is in such firm control of a match.

Usually yes in the case of Nadal, but the match against Verdasco on the blue clay at Madrid last year was one example of Nadal letting it slip away when he had a major lead in set 3 (think he was 5-2 up). He also hit a DTL shot at 15-30 wide in the AO last year against Djokovic when he had a 4-2 lead in set 5 I believe and well, we know what happened then.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This post is way too premature. Losing at Madrid and Rome the way he did may have been the best thing for Djokovic.

Roland Garros will be the big one to examine and scrutinize. I for one really like his chances there.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
This post is way too premature. Losing at Madrid and Rome the way he did may have been the best thing for Djokovic.

Best thing for Djokovic would have been winning those tournaments, shockingly enough.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:

Best thing for Djokovic would have been winning those tournaments, shockingly enough.

Not necessarily. He did that in 2011 and how did that turn out in Paris?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:

So had he lost those tournaments in 2011, the result of his semi with Fed at RG would have been different?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:

So had he lost those tournaments in 2011, the result of his semi with Fed at RG would have been different?

Not necessarily, Mr. Literalist Straight Jacket. What I am saying is that the run of results up to the French Open isn't always the best indicator of what will happen there.

Few thought Federer would win the French Open when he was walking off the court after his Rome semifinal loss to Djokovic in 2009. Most people thought Djokovic was going to win the French Open in 2011 after showing the total superiority of his highest level to the gnat's highest level at Madrid and Rome, but it ended up not working out that way.

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Am I the only one who realizes that Novak still has a decent shot at winning RG, completing his career slam, and be 2 from 2 in majors this year?

You're not alone.

Although not a virtual lock as in most year's past (as in around 95%+ although IMO it's decreased somewhat with Nole's emergence since 2011), I'd go 65%, Nole 30%(assuming Nole's ankle is "ok"), 5% the rest of the field.

How would you handicap it(% wise)?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
calitennis127 said:

Not necessarily, Mr. Literalist Straight Jacket. What I am saying is that the run of results up to the French Open isn't always the best indicator of what will happen there.

Few thought Federer would win the French Open when he was walking off the court after his Rome semifinal loss to Djokovic in 2009. Most people thought Djokovic was going to win the French Open in 2011 after showing the total superiority of his highest level to the gnat's highest level at Madrid and Rome, but it ended up not working out that way.

Sure. And I can refute that questionable logic with the 23590139103 times Nadal won every clay court title in sight and proceeded to win RG in the process. Winning titles is always the best possible thing.

fedfan said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Am I the only one who realizes that Novak still has a decent shot at winning RG, completing his career slam, and be 2 from 2 in majors this year?

You're not alone.

Although not a virtual lock as in most year's past (as in around 95%+ although IMO it's decreased somewhat with Nole's emergence since 2011), I'd go 65%, Nole 30%(assuming Nole's ankle is "ok"), 5% the rest of the field.

How would you handicap it(% wise)?

About the same.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Just to remind anyone who's forgotten, the best player on clay in 2011 was Nadal...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

calitennis127 said:

Roland Garros will be the big one to examine and scrutinize. I for one really like his chances there.

If you mean this thread is too premature, aren't you the guy that started the thread about Djokovic winning the calendar slam? :rolleyes:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I realize I'm being too literal with Cali, but surely "the best possible thing" for Djokovic would have been getting at least one more win over Nadal leading up to the FO to rattle his confidence, as opposed to have Rafa go there feeling pretty good about his game? You can bring up 2011, but they didn't end up playing in 2011 at Roland Garros. If they did, Novak would have definitely liked his chances, in light of what had happened earlier in the clay season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
I realize I'm being too literal with Cali, but surely "the best possible thing" for Djokovic would have been getting at least one more win over Nadal leading up to the FO to rattle his confidence, as opposed to have Rafa go there feeling pretty good about his game? You can bring up 2011, but they didn't end up playing in 2011 at Roland Garros. If they did, Novak would have definitely liked his chances, in light of what had happened earlier in the clay season.

I agree, Broken. The shot over the bow of winning as he did in MC was a good marker laid down. But, irrespective of Rafa and HIS confidence going in, it's fair to wonder what getting knocked out early will have done to NOLE'S confidence going into RG. I agree that the Dimitrov loss could have happened to anyone. The Berdych one is tough, and Novak said as much in his presser, (something about, "I can't afford to have that kind of mental lapse," etc.)

Djokovic had a rickety path to the final there last year, and, as Darth said, above, he could be vulnerable, and look it, to some of the rest of the field. For Nadal, there's pretty much only one impediment to the title, though it is a legitimate one.

A

Alex

He's definitely had quite a few out-of-character losses so far this year. It's been bizarre to see him losing to players like Haas and Dimitrov in the early rounds and collapsing against Berdych and DelPo... it's not as if these losses have been heartbreakers against Murray, Fed, or Nadal (not sure if that makes it better or worse). We can say that his opponents played well, or he just dropped his concentration, or whatever, but it's still bizarre to witness, especially when he made the semifinals of almost every event in 11-12.

I'm excited to see how he performs at the French Open, not only because I want him to win it, but I'm also incredibly curious if he's going to come out with a real take no prisoners attitude -- something we've only seen half the time from him this year. The optimistic fan in me hopes that he's given less than 100% (mentally and physically) at the masters events this year because he feels it may help him give it his absolute all at RG. I hope I'm right.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
calitennis127 said:

If you mean this thread is too premature, aren't you the guy that started the thread about Djokovic winning the calendar slam? :rolleyes:

There has been more positive than negative in Djokovic's season thus far. It isn't living up to the 2011 standards, but he still has an Australian Open title and he knocked Nadal off at Monte Carlo.

But, to answer your question directly, I think talking of Djokovic's decline this season is more premature than prognosticating a possible Calendar Slam. Of course, I am biased toward Djokovic in this instance, but with the way the season has gone thus far and with the best part of the year for Djokovic still ahead, I think he is just fine.

In my opinion, the Australian Open and Monte Carlo victories off-set the last two weeks on clay.

Broken_Shoelace said:

Nadal will be just as jittery inside about playing Djokovic as he has ever been if they meet in Paris, I assure you.

Both he and Djokovic know what the deal is if Djokovic is sharp and playing to his potential.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
Moxie629 said:
calitennis127 said:

There has been more positive than negative in Djokovic's season thus far. It isn't living up to the 2011 standards, but he still has an Australian Open title and he knocked Nadal off at Monte Carlo.

But, to answer your question directly, I think talking of Djokovic's decline this season is more premature than prognosticating a possible Calendar Slam. Of course, I am biased toward Djokovic in this instance, but with the way the season has gone thus far and with the best part of the year for Djokovic still ahead, I think he is just fine.

In my opinion, the Australian Open and Monte Carlo victories off-set the last two weeks on clay.

Broken_Shoelace said:

Nadal will be just as jittery inside about playing Djokovic as he has ever been if they meet in Paris, I assure you.

Both he and Djokovic know what the deal is if Djokovic is sharp and playing to his potential.

Actually, I don't think Nadal is nervous, anymore, playing Novak, the way he was in 2011. I think he knows what he's up against, and has a game plan. However, he doesn't alway execute it. In MC, I think Djokovic was top-drawer, and I don't think Rafa played that well, (controversial point,) but in any case, THAT level of Djokovic, consistently, probably beats all levels of Nadal. The question is what levels each brings to RG, and especially, if they meet each other.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

johnsteinbeck said:

die you even read the post, or did ya stop at the title? it's a fair breakdown of nole 's results. and atm, Murray is far from the one threatening to take #1. novak has a comfortable lead mainly because his first two pursuers had even worse spring results than he does. Rafa on the other hand hasn't missed a final since he's back, and is gaining a lot of ground even with half a year missing. that said, of course fall will be another question, and hardcourts in general (although afair he did rather well at the one us hc event he played). i reckon wimbledon will be decisive. if Rafa outdoes Novak there, nole could still keep the ye#1, but once they're in Oz...

as i said elsewhere - this is getting way ahead of ourselves, of course. nonetheless, it is the current state of affairs and a visible trend. Dude did well to point out the significant falloff compared to not just 11 but 12 as well.

I think everyone recognizes that the gauntlet is down for RG and Wimbledon. And yes, I think the real rivalry right now is Djokovic/Nadal. If Nadal prevails through July, and it's not a given, it should be remembered that he has no points to defend from the 2nd round at Wimbledon. Even if he picks his spots, it's all gravy, in terms of points. Something to ponder.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:

I think that his plan is to win all 4 this year. But if he doesn't win RG (and the usual winner does) No1e more than likely won't be #1 at the end of the year because past RG, Nadal can only earn new points and he will be extremely motivated to do so.