[Jonathan Northrop] The Curious Case of Grigor Dimitrov: Is Baby Federer Growing Up?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Read all about it here.

Here's an addendum:

Addendum: Some Surprises
In my research I ran across a few facts that I found surprising and wanted to pass along:

- Among recent ATP 500 winners I was surprised to find the names Andrey Golubev and Steve Darcis, especially considering the next tidbit:

- Neither Richard Gasquet nor Marin Cilic has ever won an ATP tournament above the 250 level; this was unsurprising on one level in that both are considered chronic underachievers, yet it was surprising given how highly they’ve been ranked – both have been top 10 players, far higher ranked than Darcis or Andrey Golubev, both of whom have won higher tournaments.

- Nicolas Mahut won his first, and then second, career title in 2013, at the age of 31; I guess it just goes to show you that its never too late.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: [Blog] The Curious Case of Grigor Dimitrov: Is Baby Federer Finally Growing Up?

Very good blog, very interesting how you analysed the generations, with five years being a fair assessment of a generation, in tennis years. Pete's generation have been the most successful, with the current crop being tardy in getting started. As you say, the wind may have changed direction and they're reflecting this - or else they just might not be strong enough. Technically, I don't see guys like Raonic as being elite, let alone whatever's going on between the ears. JJ doesn't have the smarts, yet.

But Grigor? I don't know. I always think the guy goes away too easily. But they used say that about Pete, who struggled after his initial breakthrough aged 19. A fella can suddenly get sore at losing and obsessed about winning. It isn't impossible to change...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: [Blog] The Curious Case of Grigor Dimitrov: Is Baby Federer Finally Growing Up?

Thanks, Kieran. As I implied towards the end, I think that even if this generation turns out to be a weak one - and I think its relatively certain that they will be, although perhaps not as much as Generation Kuerten - we might see ATP 1000 and Slam victories in the 2016-2018 range, when players like Dimitrov, Raonic, and Janowicz are 24-27. We can add players like Vesely and Thiem into the mix.

After that, we might see the next generation start to show up - those players born in 1995-1999 like Nick Kyrgios, Gianluigi Quinzi, and Christian Garin.

I do think that Grigor will be one of the best of his generation, and that he will win at least one Slam. But I don't think any of his generation will be true greats.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

This is worth a bump in light of Dimitrov's first 500 win.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

One thing Dimitrov needs to cut out is going for crazy flamboyant shots just to please the crowd. There are always a few each match. Against Anderson there was one game he was up 40-0 and started to show off trying to do some mad fancy stuff and got clumsy and faced break point but eventually held serve. Roger Rasheed should give him a good throttling and tell him to cut that out. If you're up 40-0 and playing a guy with a massive serve, the thing of utmost importance is holding your own serve and he almost blew it there.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Good call, buddy. I see he's going to have over 900 points in the morning. The last few seasons, the cut-off for the WTF is about 3,300. Already Grigor and Cilic have made a strong start to getting there. Following his his QF at Oz with this 500, he's only raising expectations. So what do we expect from Grigor for the rest of the season? What would be considered a fast enough rate of progress?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Seeing how he performs at Indian Wells and Miami should be a good indication. Presume he'll play both as he's young and actually has no exemption option anyway like the top guys.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
Very good blog, very interesting how you analysed the generations, with five years being a fair assessment of a generation, in tennis years. Pete's generation have been the most successful, with the current crop being tardy in getting started. As you say, the wind may have changed direction and they're reflecting this - or else they just might not be strong enough. Technically, I don't see guys like Raonic as being elite, let alone whatever's going on between the ears. JJ doesn't have the smarts, yet.

But Grigor? I don't know. I always think the guy goes away too easily. But they used say that about Pete, who struggled after his initial breakthrough aged 19. A fella can suddenly get sore at losing and obsessed about winning. It isn't impossible to change...

I bought G D's stock 2 years ago. I am a big believer. He has done what he need to do..improved physically, and I believe he is VERY hungry. He wants it.

He still has much more work and improving to do.

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Front242 said:
One thing Dimitrov needs to cut out is going for crazy flamboyant shots just to please the crowd. There are always a few each match.

The flip side is that it's also what makes him special. Like early Federer he has the talent to make some of these shots where other lesser mortals can't and this gives him a competitive advantage. In the early days of Rogers reign, those 4 or 5 point swings due to the great shot making essentially was the difference between winning and losing.

You don't want them to lose the match bc of it, but then its sort of important to not constrict a shot makers style too much.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ True. I like watching great shots but just know when to do them and when not to is all. Risking too much just to please the crowd won't win you trophies.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Don't change Grigor, go for those shots!!!!:clap

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulLLAEfg4zg[/video]

No, I do see the point, but some players just cannot help being themselves...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Nice. I remember that one alright. Noooooo waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy! I haven't heard Robbie Koenig in ages. Hopefully at the upcoming masters events.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ In fact Troicki got so depressed after that he turned to drugs and got banned!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
Good call, buddy. I see he's going to have over 900 points in the morning. The last few seasons, the cut-off for the WTF is about 3,300. Already Grigor and Cilic have made a strong start to getting there. Following his his QF at Oz with this 500, he's only raising expectations. So what do we expect from Grigor for the rest of the season? What would be considered a fast enough rate of progress?

I've been very happy with Grigor's play. In fact, this was a great week for me - my two favorite players both won tournaments.

Anyhow, I think he challenges for a spot in the top 10 this year. He's only 820 points behind #9 Richard Gasquet. Even if we assume that Tsonga regains form and re-establishes himself in the near-elite and takes #9 from Gasquet, there's one spot left in the year-end top 10 and Grigor is a candidate, as is Gasquet, Raonic, Janowicz and, who knows, maybe Cilic?

If you look at his year end rankings over his career, he's had a steady increase: 493, 288, 106, 76, 48, 23. I can see the pattern continuing and he'll finish this year in the 10-15 range. Next year? Well, he'll be in the top 10 for real, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions

He's on the right track, for sure.

- Won his first ATP title last year (250)
- Won his second ATP title this year (500) and we are only in March.

He also was highly impressive vs. Nadal at the AO (it honestly felt like a five-setter) and his consistency has improved, too. Not sure how much we should attribute Rasheed to this, but his presence is evidently helping.

I'm loving this guys style. Glad to see Maria isn't too much of a distraction...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

TsarMatt said:
I'm loving this guys style. Glad to see Maria isn't too much of a distraction...

Maria should be an inspiration and motivation, rather than distraction.

I am also impressed by his improvement where stamina and focus in clutch moments is concerned.
Less sold on his way too many easy, silly at times UE. He has to clean those up.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Yeah, his fitness has come on leaps and bounds. Remember the cramping issues mid last year and he's winning titles now as a result.