[Jonathan Northrop] American Men's Tennis and the Cycle of Ages

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: [Blog] American Men's Tennis and the Cycle of Ages

Nice read Ed Dude. How far do you think the Dawn Age is away?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Who knows? There's really no glimpses of hope on the horizon. The key is to look for someone akin to Ashe or Smith - who might challenge for or win big tournaments, if not be dominant players. There's just no one like that out there. Isner isn't far off, but he's 28 and I don't think can win a Slam and would be hard pressed to win an ATP 1000.

But more so, we would want to see a group of talented young players. Generation Donald Young just isn't there. Who knows, maybe Sock and Kudla will surprise, but we might have to look to Ryan Harrison's younger brother, Christian (age 19), and players even younger.

The problems with American men's tennis are reflective of the problems with the younger generations as a whole - there's just a lack of talent among players born in the late 80s and early 90s.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think maybe 2009 Wimbledon final was the end of the Bronze Age. Roddick's last real chance to win another major and really be vying for power on the atp. He obviously stuck around another couple years, even in the top 10 another year, but that was the last chance, and it was a real chance. Hurts just thinking about it for Andy.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

I think the Dark Ages will linger on a bit longer. The reasons are many, but Chris Lewis piece that we discussed in the " How to develop New American Tennis Stars" thread had a lot of good points. El Dudes and Chris Lewis blogs should be read one after the other.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com

I finally had time to read these blogs. Thanks for writing them, El Dude!

The globalization of tennis has affected to US success, there's a larger pool of players on the tour, so it's harder for the Americans.

Also the slowed-down surfaces have hurt them. While the slower surfaces suit perfectly to the excellent Spanish claycourters, US guys' best surface is usually fast hardcourt, which is quite rare a surface on the tour these days. But even on faster courts, USA wouldn't currently have a real GS title contender, like Rafa for Spain. But otherwise they could equal Spain's success if the courts were faster.

Anyway, I was thinking about one thing. Europe has just over twice the US population but I think there are European top-100 players more than twice the number of US top-100 players. A European country's #3 junior might not be a top-10 junior in the USA. Could that be an advantage for Europeans? I think a European country's #3 junior may get more and better coaching from the national federation than US #13 junior. Also, it's mentally different to be your country's #3 junior than #13. My point is that European countries #3-5 juniors may be training more seriously than equally good American juniors outside the US top-10. Those guys aren't maybe future GS champs but can be future top-100 guys.