Is Nick Kyrgios the most overrated player in world tennis?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
What annoys me is that a lot of aspects of his game are neglected, while others heavily exaggerated.

The overrate exists, and is continuous IMO. Even reading posts here I see a giant overrate of aspects of his game that are totally denied by statistics. Someone posted his stats while returning serve. He is around top 100 in point winning percentage. So, deprived of his biggest weapon, his numbers go all the way down. Anyone who have watched entire matches of him knows that. He basically only breaks when the server has a very poor service game. That is a reflection of his poor receiving technique and poor overall ground strokes. Considering that he has very good natural reflexes (that's why his net play is decent), he should do way better than that.

Chris mentioned that he needs to learn percentage play, but it is more complicated than that. It is not like he hits 30+ winners a match (not counting serve) and just makes more UFE's than that. Again, the numbers simply tell another story. He hits a low number of winners (discounting serve), because he is only able to attack very specific balls. During rallies, he is basically a pusher, until some odd ball comes high and floating. This is actually smart, but not exactly a sign of "talent".

The other thing I simply think people judge completely wrong is his "head". While I agree that his behavior is out of the curve, and some attitudes are questionable, there is one big difference here. When you call a player a "head case", you do it because countless time he lost winnable or close matches due to mental fragility/lapses. How many of those you can count for Kyrgios? He surely lost lost matches in a worst way due to his head, but close ones? Surely way less than average. On pressure moments, he has nerves of steel most of the times. Tell me one, just one, non big three player who is cooler than him on big moments.

Still on his "head", he is actually very smart on court. He adapts his play (as far as his technique allows him) to his opponent. He plays Nadal and Federer completely differently, for example. So, in the "head" department, he is completely underestimated. He is also underestimated on the serve department, incredibly. In form, he is maybe the most effective server I have ever seen play.

Considering that, I am quite sure he has a lot of upside, because at some point he will get his baseline game and ground strokes to decent levels, improve his net technique to make better use of his quick hands, and get big wins due to his cool head at pressure moments. People will credit the results to his "talent", citing one or another tricky play, and keep ignoring the stats that won 99% of his points. But that's ok, he is a nice guy and will be good for the sport.

Reactions: brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What annoys me is that a lot of aspects of his game are neglected, while others heavily exaggerated.

The overrate exists, and is continuous IMO. Even reading posts here I see a giant overrate of aspects of his game that are totally denied by statistics. Someone posted his stats while returning serve. He is around top 100 in point winning percentage. So, deprived of his biggest weapon, his numbers go all the way down. Anyone who have watched entire matches of him knows that. He basically only breaks when the server has a very poor service game. That is a reflection of his poor receiving technique and poor overall ground strokes. Considering that he has very good natural reflexes (that's why his net play is decent), he should do way better than that.

Chris mentioned that he needs to learn percentage play, but it is more complicated than that. It is not like he hits 30+ winners a match (not counting serve) and just makes more UFE's than that. Again, the numbers simply tell another story. He hits a low number of winners (discounting serve), because he is only able to attack very specific balls. During rallies, he is basically a pusher, until some odd ball comes high and floating. This is actually smart, but not exactly a sign of "talent".

The other thing I simply think people judge completely wrong is his "head". While I agree that his behavior is out of the curve, and some attitudes are questionable, there is one big difference here. When you call a player a "head case", you do it because countless time he lost winnable or close matches due to mental fragility/lapses. How many of those you can count for Kyrgios? He surely lost lost matches in a worst way due to his head, but close ones? Surely way less than average. On pressure moments, he has nerves of steel most of the times. Tell me one, just one, non big three player who is cooler than him on big moments.

Still on his "head", he is actually very smart on court. He adapts his play (as far as his technique allows him) to his opponent. He plays Nadal and Federer completely differently, for example. So, in the "head" department, he is completely underestimated. He is also underestimated on the serve department, incredibly. In form, he is maybe the most effective server I have ever seen play.

Considering that, I am quite sure he has a lot of upside, because at some point he will get his baseline game and ground strokes to decent levels, improve his net technique to make better use of his quick hands, and get big wins due to his cool head at pressure moments. People will credit the results to his "talent", citing one or another tricky play, and keep ignoring the stats that won 99% of his points. But that's ok, he is a nice guy and will be good for the sport.

I don't agree with everything, but you raise some great points and more importantly. you're thinking about the game in general, the right way IMO. I'm pretty sick and tired of the cliches, the traditional, limited way of viewing things devoid of context, the urge to categorize and label, etc...

That's a great post.

Reactions: mrzz

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic doesn't think he's overrated... will he ever manage to win a set against him? :unsure:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic doesn't think he's overrated... will he ever manage to win a set against him? :unsure:

You really think he cares much? I'll answer for you. He doesn't. 14 slam titles versus none and I doubt Kyrgios will ever beat him anywhere except best of 3 where he has done.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I strongly suggest Nick take a break from tennis,like Aussie woman player Ash Barty.I
do not think Nick can handle the day to day life of a professional tennis player,yes he is a very talented player,but does not have the desire or mental ability to compete when things get tough.Maybe after a break,like Barty he will miss tennis and will realize his potential on the tennis court.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
When Djokovic lost to Nick, he was losing to many others not just him. It was during his bad patch when he dropped out of contention.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When Djokovic lost to Nick, he was losing to many others not just him. It was during his bad patch when he dropped out of contention.

Whatever makes you sleep at night... :cuckoo: :whistle:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

In the case of Kyrgios, I'm referring to emotional maturity rather than playing under pressure in a match environment. I think he plays without fear.

However, the flip side is that he will tank matches because he doesn't want to be there. He will give points away petulantly if he thinks he's been wronged by a call or an umpire, he won't compete to his best if he doesn't feel like putting in the yards... and probably doesn't really care that much about a career legacy. I also think he lacks awareness of his responsibility to the paying public and he doesn't care for authority or criticism. In short, he's like a stroppy undisciplined teenager who happens to be good at tennis. Although, as I've said before, he has a lot of redeeming features also.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm convinced now more than ever, that the answer to this thread's question is Sasha Zverev.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think he's overrated because who is still really rating him that high? At most I'd say he's a dangerous player that top guys don't want to see in the first few rounds.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the talking heads hyping him back then.

I'm convinced now more than ever, that the answer to this thread's question is Sasha Zverev.

Ha! If Slam success is the main criteria, I agree. :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In the live ranking he is now down to 67.
And he is #4 Auusie, behind De Minaur, Millman, and Ebden.
He's got his work cut out.

I am correcting myself. Nick is ranked in fact #5 among Aussie players, in the live ranking, beside the above mentioned trio: DeMinaur, Millman and Ebden, Thompson also is now ranked ahead of him.[/QUOTE]