Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy, ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For sure Kohlscreiber's tricky.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
H2H is 12-1, with Kohly's only win coming on grass. But it might not be an easy match. Oh, and so far Zverev and Thiem are getting their asses handed to them by JMurray and Soares. Lost the first set 6-1.

Tie-break for the second set in the doubles... One thing that annoys me about doubles is the increasing tendency to "pet" each other after each point, even if you lost the point. I watched the McEnroe/Fleming Edberg/Jarryd 1984 Davis Cup Final again the other day and it was devoid of such nonsense. McEnroe even had his chair for the changeover about 40 miles from Flemings and barely acknowledged him. They've gone soft!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray/Soares prevail 6/1 7/6 - entertaining match... but leaves you with the feeling that any of the Top Singles guys in a team that got used to playing in a team would walk the doubles comps. I guess Fed/Stan showed a glimpse at the Olympics when they won gold.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
fedster played decent tennis vs the improving zverev.

I thought he was trying to break the world record for drop shots in a 3 set match.:wacko: he was turning the z into a tennis yoyo.

If you would change your post to successful drop shots, I think you would be correct. He was wicked with them today.

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
yay..rafa/wafa slaps away kholi..rafa v nick k tomorrow.

I think both players will be "pumped" as they say.

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Round of 32 Results Wrap Up

(1) Novak Djokovic bt Stephane Robert 7/5 7/5
(2) Andy Murray bt Mikhail Kukushkin 6/3 6/3
(3) Roger Federer bt Alexander Zverev 6/3 7/5
(4) Stan Wawrinka bt Benoit Paire 5/7 6/2 6/1
(5) Rafael Nadal bt Philipp Kohlschreiber 6/3 6/3
(6) Kei Nishikori bt Viktor Troicki 5/7 6/2 6/3
(8) Tomas Berdych bt Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6/3 6/4
(9) David Ferrer bt Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6/4 6/3
Nick Kyrgios bt (10) Milos Raonic 7/6(5) 6/3
(11) Richard Gasquet\bt\Andreas Seppi 6/3 6/4
(12) David Goffin bt Jack Sock 6/4 6/4
(13) Dominic Thiem bt Joao Sousa 6/3 6/2
Jeremy Chardy bt (15) Roberto Bautista Agut 7/6(6) 6/4
Juan Monaco bt (16) Kevin Anderson 3/6 6/3 6/2
Thomaz Bellucci bt Nicolas Mahut 6/4 6/3
Lucas Pouille bt Ernests Gulbis 3/6 6/4 7/5

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa might cough up the next match.

Why bother dealing with djokovic if you are terrified of him.

He is clearly not ready. Also Nick is good enough to get by Rafa now.

Tactically it is time to bail and go work on the game and also get the wrist well.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just come in from tennis to see Fed knocked out by Dominic Thiem. :( 7/6 (2) 6/4

The 2 points in the breaker was a bit of a surprise, although the loss itself doesn't really surprise me too much. Only his second game back and Thiem is becoming a top player, especially on the red dirt.

Reactions: EdbergsGhost

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem is a dangerous guy in clay, he can have a great RG

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Just come in from tennis to see Fed knocked out by Dominic Thiem. :( 7/6 (2) 6/4

The 2 points in the breaker was a bit of a surprise, although the loss itself doesn't really surprise me too much. Only his second game back and Thiem is becoming a top player, especially on the red dirt.

Weak losses are to be expected at this point after everything this year. He will likely be out before the quarters at RG regardless of the draw. It's all about what comes after RG this year anyways. Hopefully he will be ready by the time Wimbledon rolls around.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Weak losses are to be expected at this point after everything this year. He will likely be out before the quarters at RG regardless of the draw. It's all about what comes after RG this year anyways. Hopefully he will be ready by the time Wimbledon rolls around.

Yeah, I'm just looking at Roland Garros as fitness primer. He might not even get beyond the first week... and then onto grass court practice, Halle and Wimbledon... where hopefully he will be among the contenders.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ And Stuttgart. It works out great for Roger that there is an extra week of the grass season this year because he definitely needs more match play.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Forgot about the extra week! and an early Roland Garros exit could be favourable. Roger probably has a couple more shots at Wimbledon to add to the resume... I think the other majors are a bridge too far. I know you think the USO might still be an outside bet but I think that boat may have sailed.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looks like Nishikori got the Gasquet monkey off his back in Madrid. He's administering a hiding out there in Rome. 4-0 up in the first.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Forgot about the extra week! and an early Roland Garros exit could be favourable. Roger probably has a couple more shots at Wimbledon to add to the resume... I think the other majors are a bridge too far. I know you think the USO might still be an outside bet but I think that boat may have sailed.

I think the boat sailed after last year. I always expected him to make at least the final one more time there. He was always way too strong on fast hard courts to keep blowing opportunities at the USO which he had done for many years before 2015.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nishikori beats Gasquet, who was far more competitive in the second set... sets up an interesting clash with Dominic Thiem.