Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy, ATP Masters 1000

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't know about Federer, somebody mentioned that his presser was the last of all the big boys today, or he was late to it, something like that. Not sure if he even had it. His fans probably have more info.

I guess they don't mention the change of conditions because they experience it all the time and are fed up talking about it. So very unlike their fans.;-):

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice start for Fed... not looking rusty. Takes the first set 6-3. Had a set point on Zverev's serve in the previous game also. Sascha hasn't had a break point yet.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
Zverev did not have a good outing against the other half of Fedal either. Roger looked pretty solid out there.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev did not have a good outing against the other half of Fedal either. Roger looked pretty solid out there.
Yeah, Sascha looked in awe of the great man at times. Fed just played a solid game and the youngster couldn't impose himself on him at all.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fedster played decent tennis vs the improving zverev.

I thought he was trying to break the world record for drop shots in a 3 set match.:wacko: he was turning the z into a tennis yoyo.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His back seems to have been bothering him all or most of the match.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His back seems to have been bothering him all or most of the match.
Yeah, he was holding his lower back a few times.

Makes it through though, 7/5 7/5 and joins Fed and Murray who both prevailed.

Rafa up next, with a possibly awkward assignment - Kohlschreiber, who is in good form.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
I doubt Roger will play, but we'll see.
Maybe his back will improve overnight.

Respectfully,
masterclass

I was happy to see he played. He must have felt well enough after his 10 am practice to go on.
It didn't seem to affect him much during the match, other than I think him showing a little bit of concentration fatigue, probably more due to only playing 3 matches since the AO than a back issue.

Respectfully,
masterclass

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was happy to see he played. He must have felt well enough after his 10 am practice to go on.
It didn't seem to affect him much during the match, other than I think him showing a little bit of concentration fatigue, probably more due to only playing 3 matches since the AO than a back issue.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Ditto - I was waiting for an announcement that he was going to withdraw, so glad to see him back on court and he seemed to move without hindrance... potential banana skin navigated seamlessly

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev and Thiem have gone straight back out to play doubles together. Another tough match as they're up against Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa up next, with a possibly awkward assignment - Kohlschreiber, who is in good form.

H2H is 12-1, with Kohly's only win coming on grass. But it might not be an easy match. Oh, and so far Zverev and Thiem are getting their asses handed to them by JMurray and Soares. Lost the first set 6-1.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
H2H is 12-1, with Kohly's only win coming on grass. But it might not be an easy match. Oh, and so far Zverev and Thiem are getting their asses handed to them by JMurray and Soares. Lost the first set 6-1.

Rafa should win but as an opening match, it's not one of the easier ones to get into the swing of things.