11. Karen Khachanov
12. Daniil Medvedev
13. Borna Cornic
14. Nikoloz Basilashvili
15. Gael Monfils
16. Marco Cecchinato

Foro-Italico-Tennis-Twitter-Internazionali-BNL-dItalia-800x537-800x537.jpg

The Tournament:

The Internazionali BNL d’Italia features the best players at the Foro Italico in Rome. The tournament is one of the three ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events contested on clay, but the event is more than just tennis; it is a total entertainment experience. High fashion, fine food, fabulous shopping and celebrity musical performances have made the tournament one of the most glamorous stops on the ATP World Tour. Rafael Nadal has won a record seven titles in Rome.

The tennis complex has 11 courts, including the 10,400-seater Centre Court.

About Rome:

Rome, Italy’s capital, is a sprawling, cosmopolitan city with nearly 3,000 years of globally influential art, architecture and culture on display. Ancient ruins such as the Forum and the Colosseum evoke the power of the former Roman Empire. Vatican City, headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, has St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums, which house masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes.

rome-colosseum_-large.jpg

stock-photo-roman-sunset-77415821.jpg

Tourism guide:

Reactions: britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The Rome draw is out already. Rafa gets Thiem. in QF. Roger gets Perseus Novak gets JMDP and Sasha gets Samurai. Potential Fedal SF here.

ATP-Madrid.png

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer is apparently considering playing in Rome. Will make a final decision on saturday or sunday.

Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Either Roger fancies he has a real shot at RG this year and wants clay prep, or he has a secret desire for #1 again and wants to add a few points. If he reaches the QF again and then makes it to RG SF, that's an added "free" 1080 points from last year. A win at Wimbledon or USO, a Masters or two, gets him in contention for YE1.

Or it could simply be the convention view is right: that he wants less fallow time for the leadup to Wimbledon. It is all speculation at this point.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Either Roger fancies he has a real shot at RG this year and wants clay prep ...

I think that’s it. He knows Rafa is vulnerable, so someone needs to be there at the finish line, so why not give yourself a chance? If it doesn’t work out, so what. If it does, he’ll become the first person since Laver to have won all majors at least twice.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think that’s it. He knows Rafa is vulnerable, so someone needs to be there at the finish line, so why not give yourself a chance? If it doesn’t work out, so what. If it does, he’ll become the first person since Laver to have won all majors at least twice.

It is a nice accomplishment, and Novak has a better chance than him. I think if Novak wins RG this year he cements his edge over Rafa all-time...at least unless Rafa surges again.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Either Roger fancies he has a real shot at RG this year and wants clay prep, or he has a secret desire for #1 again and wants to add a few points. If he reaches the QF again and then makes it to RG SF, that's an added "free" 1080 points from last year. A win at Wimbledon or USO, a Masters or two, gets him in contention for YE1.

Or it could simply be the convention view is right: that he wants less fallow time for the leadup to Wimbledon. It is all speculation at this point.
To participate at RG makes a lot of sense.
Chasing #1 is silly if he fancies that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a done deal! He's to play Rome! Did it throw the draw seeding off for someone? Haven't checked yet! :whistle: :nono: :eek: :ptennis:

Draw will get messed up only if someone withdraws at last minute. If someone is already in the draw decides not to withdraw, it cannot mess up the draw. Sometimes, the basics need to be spelt out. :banghead:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Potential R3 Tsitsipas-Fognini. I think the italian stallion could overcome a tired greek in front of the home crowd.

Highly likely QF Nadal-Thiem. This should be a real battle once again. I feel like Nadal needs a win here more than Thiem, but could end up battered again. I give a slight edge to Thiem being younger and hungrier. I am suspicious on how fresh and confident Nadal will be and his weary legs that lack a little bit of something extra he used to have.

As far as Nole is concerned I mentioned in Madrid tread that I have a feeling of some tactics might come into play. Why risk loosing to any of the Thiem/Nadal when you can come in RG being in both of their minds and let them keep rolling in the bed thinking about him. He is not 25 anymore. I don't know, just a thought. If he still feels like he is lacking matches and needs time to tweak his game then he might as well end up in the final, but I have a feeling he doesn't want to lay down all the cards on the table especially if winning today in Madrid.

Interesting R1 Coric-FAA.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The qualifying round brought along some surprises.
Lajovic had to play qualifying, despite being ranked 24, probably 6 weeks ago he was not ranked high enough.
He loses to Dan Evans and at least on clay, this was not what I expected.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hurkacz lost to Kecmanovic

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The qualifying round brought along some surprises.
Lajovic had to play qualifying, despite being ranked 24, probably 6 weeks ago he was not ranked high enough.
He loses to Dan Evans and at least on clay, this was not what I expected.

2nd Round Qualifying:

Daniel Evans Defeats (1) Dusan Lajovic - 75 63
(3) Cameron Norrie Defeats (13) Nicolas Jarry - 63 46 766
(11) Yoshihito Nishioka Defeats (5) Damir Dzumhur - 64 46 63
(12) Casper Ruud Defeats Miomir Kecmanovic - 62 61

1st Round Qualifying:

(1) Dusan Lajovic Defeats Aljaz Bedene - 765 673 61
(2) Benoit Paire Defeats Bradley Klahn - 64 62
(3) Cameron Norrie Defeats Peter Gojowczyk - 675 75 63
Miomir Kecmanovic Defeats (4) Hubert Hurkacz - 63 16 64
(5) Damir Dzumhur Defeats Taro Daniel - 60 63
Albert Ramos-Vinolas Defeats (6) Jaume Munar - 672 63 764
(7) Taylor Fritz Defeats (W) Jacopo Berrettini - 64 63
(8) Reilly Opelka Defeats Ernests Gulbis - 766 63
(W) Filippo Baldi Defeats (9) Martin Klizan - 63 61
Daniel Evans Defeats (10) Robin Haase - 62 64
(11) Yoshihito Nishioka Defeats Denis Kudla - 763 46 63
(12) Casper Ruud Defeats (W) Lorenzo Musetti - 61 64
(13) Nicolas Jarry Defeats Marius Copil - 764 62
(14) Bernard Tomic Defeats (W) Riccardo Balzerani - 61 64

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Munar losing to Ramos is also surprising for me.
Ramos is trading down, while Munar was trading up.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Potential R3 Tsitsipas-Fognini. I think the italian stallion could overcome a tired greek in front of the home crowd.

Highly likely QF Nadal-Thiem. This should be a real battle once again. I feel like Nadal needs a win here more than Thiem, but could end up battered again. I give a slight edge to Thiem being younger and hungrier. I am suspicious on how fresh and confident Nadal will be and his weary legs that lack a little bit of something extra he used to have.

As far as Nole is concerned I mentioned in Madrid tread that I have a feeling of some tactics might come into play. Why risk loosing to any of the Thiem/Nadal when you can come in RG being in both of their minds and let them keep rolling in the bed thinking about him. He is not 25 anymore. I don't know, just a thought. If he still feels like he is lacking matches and needs time to tweak his game then he might as well end up in the final, but I have a feeling he doesn't want to lay down all the cards on the table especially if winning today in Madrid.

Interesting R1 Coric-FAA.

And all of this (potentially) happening in the bottom half, including the possibility of a Fedal SF. The draw gods have blessed Novak this time.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
And all of this (potentially) happening in the bottom half, including the possibility of a Fedal SF. The draw gods have blessed Novak this time.

Yep, all heavy weights in the bottom half: Ralph, Roger, Thiem, Perseus, Fog.

Top half is virtually deserted and is filled with people coming from injury break and those who are in bad form.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Today’s Results - Round Of 64

Roberto Bautista Agut Defeats Andreas Seppi - 61 36 61
(14) Nikoloz Basilashvili Defeats Marton Fucsovics - 61 762
(W) Matteo Berrettini Defeats Lucas Pouille - 62 64
Philipp Kohlschreiber Defeats Gilles Simon - 62 36 63
(W) Jannik Sinner Defeats Steve Johnson - 16 61 75