Internazionali BNL d'Italia - Rome ATP Masters 1000, 2019

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Honestly, it looks as if Novak personally filled in the draw.

OCO; we've been kvetchin' about draws for as long as I can remember! It's all "catchers, catch, can;" made more horrible when players from the same country compete in the 1st round against one another! Saw a smidge of Johnson in Rome; what was that kid 12? Steve really should find another vocation because he's weaponless! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha plays Matteo Berrettini in the opening match in Rome.

Matteo won the Hungarian Clay Tourney just recently. Matteo is from Italy.

Sasha is currently in bad form. Also, under pressure of defending 600 pts here.

2+2=?

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at No1e's draw, I am under impression his quarterfinal match may be harder than semifinal having Medvedev, Kyrgios & Wawrinka in Del Potro's quarter.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OCO; we've been kvetchin' about draws for as long as I can remember! It's all "catchers, catch, can;" made more horrible when players from the same country compete in the 1st round against one another! Saw a smidge of Johnson in Rome; what was that kid 12? He really should find another vocation because he's weaponless! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:
That kid is 17. Are you expecting weapons at that age?
Nobody has weapons at that age, unless their parents are soldiers.

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at No1e's draw, I am under impression his quarterfinal match may be harder than semifinal having Medvedev, Kyrgios & Wawrinka in Del Potro's quarter.
I think you're absolutely right. Whichever of those gets through is tougher than his potential SF. Nice to see you around, Mastoor, btw.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you're absolutely right. Whichever of those gets through is tougher than his potential SF. Nice to see you around, Mastoor, btw.

We all know when Mastoor will appear and when he will disappear. It is highly predictable.

Reactions: Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice comeback by Coric against FAA. Lost first set in tb (being a break up), but took immediate charge in 2nd set and kept control until the very end without droping a serve. Hope he can ride on this until R3 where he could have a decent chance against Fed.

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Felix was eliminated by Borna in 3 sets.
Djere beat Kukushkin

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nice comeback by Coric against FAA. Lost first set in tb (being a break up), but took immediate charge in 2nd set and kept control until the very end without droping a serve. Hope he can ride on this until R3 where he could have a decent chance against Fed.

This was a no-win match for me, since I like them both. It’s a shame one had to be eliminated so quickly, but congrats to Borna.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Good to see Roger back in the Italian capital. Last time, maybe?

If he has a brain in his head, this should be his farewell tour to clay IMO! Fed's likely to go out to some qualifying kid here and in Paris; it wouldn't be surprising! Just 3 yrs ago in 2016 he was breaking down and made Rome his final stand on the surface which made sense! He wasn't going to win anyway; esp. in Paris! Now he's back older and less wiser it seems to me thinking he has no points to defend; "why not take up a spot in the draw, make the fans happy, and continue training right thru Wimbledon!" :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If he has a brain in his head, this should be his farewell tour to clay IMO! Fed's likely to go out to some qualifying kid here and in Paris; it wouldn't be surprising! Just 3 yrs ago in 2016 he was breaking down and made Rome his final stand on the surface which made sense! He wasn't going to win anyway; esp. in Paris! Now he's back older and less wiser it seems to me thinking he has no points to defend; "why not take up a spot in the draw, make the fans happy, and continue training right thru Wimbledon!" :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Guess you didn't notice he had 2 match points against Thiem in Madrid and was frankly the better player most of the match but just happened to play the 2 match points badly. Not bad after 3 years off the surface and considering how good Thiem is on clay.

Someone may actually believe your overexaggeration sometime if you're lucky. Watch as Federer makes a monkey out of your comment at RG.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tough opening draws for FAA recently. I think if he can win a couple of early matches at RG, watch out.
FAA lost to Coric after taking the first set. He is learning and I think he will improve in leaps and bounds within the year.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tough opening draws for FAA recently. I think if he can win a couple of early matches at RG, watch out.

It might not be a bad thing, in the long run. "Welcome to the big leagues, Felix." He needs to face this kind of adversity - no soft underbelly of the tour anymore. His task now, at 18 (19 in August) is to iron out his game (especially his second serve) and consolidate his ranking and maybe move up into seeding at Slams (top 30). Big titles will come - maybe next year.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It might not be a bad thing, in the long run. "Welcome to the big leagues, Felix." He needs to face this kind of adversity - no soft underbelly of the tour anymore. His task now, at 18 (19 in August) is to iron out his game (especially his second serve) and consolidate his ranking and maybe move up into seeding at Slams (top 30). Big titles will come - maybe next year.
I agree. I am almost shocked to see how much expectations some fans have from him.
This is not the Becker era anymore, guys.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425