Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzTHutueWUs[/video]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
fashionista said:
sk310 said:
Poor Vika she keeps getting these early tests. I'm curious to see Maria's form after getting sick in Mexico. She started off the year well. I'm hoping Vika has the drive to mop the floor with her.

I'm interested to see Keys return. Does anyone know why she hasn't played since Melbourne?

There's definitely some players that need to take the opportunity to right their ship here in Indian Wells. Aga and Ana come to mind.

Genie I'll be watching for until summer. I want to see if Sam is really going to make a difference.

Vika has a h2h lead over Sharapova on HC,regardless of the leading h2h,with Maria picking up a stomach virus in Mexico,Vika being hampered in the 2nd set of the final at Doha,this encounter I feel in ways,will show us where Vika's game is at present.

I am yet to see any difference that Martina N has brought to Aga's game,I guess it is still early days

Ana Ivanovic....hmmmm still remains a question mark to me in ways,one day she shows great play,next day she gets blown off the court.

Yeah. I think physically Vika is pretty close to 100% and has regained her endurance for 3 setters and week to week play. Now it's just getting back to 100% on confidence. Either way I think she has to feel positive about how her comeback year is going so far. She's beat some high quality opponents. I never know what to expect from Sharapova. When she reaches a point where her game seems to be peaking again she kind of sinks back down to mediocrity really quickly. I'm not sure if its motivation or just how her confidence works.

Aga I'm not sure is going to gain from Martina. I'm not sure the "icon coach" brings that much to a player's game other than a few tips. What they really bring is a kind of confidence boost and a reminder of what that player can have. It's like this big red light sitting in the stands like a finish line.

Ana... who knows.

Another player I forgot to add is Halep? can she improve her ranking and challenge Maria to the No.2 position,at least she showed to me in her last tournament,she can fight till the end of a match
I still pick her this year to win her first GS title at Roland Garos.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
sk310 said:
fashionista said:
Vika has a h2h lead over Sharapova on HC,regardless of the leading h2h,with Maria picking up a stomach virus in Mexico,Vika being hampered in the 2nd set of the final at Doha,this encounter I feel in ways,will show us where Vika's game is at present.

I am yet to see any difference that Martina N has brought to Aga's game,I guess it is still early days

Ana Ivanovic....hmmmm still remains a question mark to me in ways,one day she shows great play,next day she gets blown off the court.

Yeah. I think physically Vika is pretty close to 100% and has regained her endurance for 3 setters and week to week play. Now it's just getting back to 100% on confidence. Either way I think she has to feel positive about how her comeback year is going so far. She's beat some high quality opponents. I never know what to expect from Sharapova. When she reaches a point where her game seems to be peaking again she kind of sinks back down to mediocrity really quickly. I'm not sure if its motivation or just how her confidence works.

Aga I'm not sure is going to gain from Martina. I'm not sure the "icon coach" brings that much to a player's game other than a few tips. What they really bring is a kind of confidence boost and a reminder of what that player can have. It's like this big red light sitting in the stands like a finish line.

Ana... who knows.

Another player I forgot to add is Halep? can she improve her ranking and challenge Maria to the No.2 position,at least she showed to me in her last tournament,she can fight till the end of a match
I still pick her this year to win her first GS title at Roland Garos.

She's at a point where she needs to reassert herself against the best hard hitters: Serena, Maria, Vika. When she gets to a later round at a BIG event she crumbles. I'm curious to see her at RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Halep has the game for clay,it was just her inexperience in the final at RG last year against Maria that she lost,she had a good game plan against Maria,she just needed to stick with that game plan.Sometimes you have to lose a GS final in order to know how to win one.Also she has to have complete focus at all times,RG to me is the hardest GS to win.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Halep can assert herself all she wants. When a big hitter is on, there is nothing she can do. She is a great player and can win if they are slightly off. Remember what happened when she played Serena twice in Singapore? Halep won because Serena was off her game, then got destroyed when Serena started finding her timing.

Vika is not a big hitter. Players in that category are Serena, Venus, Pliskova, Petra, Keys, Mugu, and a few others.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When the surface is clay Halep to me has a better chance against a big hitter,she uses the whole court to her advantage and can produce great angles on the fhand and bhand wing,another important factor on clay is your movement,being able to slide laterally,Halep can do that,both offensively and defensively

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
10sfan said:
Halep can assert herself all she wants. When a big hitter is on, there is nothing she can do. She is a great player and can win if they are slightly off. Remember what happened when she played Serena twice in Singapore? Halep won because Serena was off her game, then got destroyed when Serena started finding her timing.

Vika is not a big hitter. Players in that category are Serena, Venus, Pliskova, Petra, Keys, Mugu, and a few others.

Right but that kind of doesn't matter, right? Singapore is an event that is unique because it only happens once a year. At any other tournament if a player is off once they're out. Sorry to me Vika is a big hitter. You don't get to define who or who isn't. That's a matter of opinion not fact.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
When the surface is clay Halep to me has a better chance against a big hitter,she uses the whole court to her advantage and can produce great angles on the fhand and bhand wing,another important factor on clay is your movement,being able to slide laterally,Halep can do that,both offensively and defensively

I agree. She just needs to expand that game plan, even on clay, to be more aggressive in BIG matches.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
fashionista said:

I agree. She just needs to expand that game plan, even on clay, to be more aggressive in BIG matches.
I'd like to see her be aggressive in every match w/ her shot selection and do it for 2 full sets. I've seen her fall victim to some patchy play, DF's and poor shots when she is in control of a match. Then has to rally herself to get the control back.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
10sfan said:

Right but that kind of doesn't matter, right? Singapore is an event that is unique because it only happens once a year. At any other tournament if a player is off once they're out. Sorry to me Vika is a big hitter. You don't get to define who or who isn't. That's a matter of opinion not fact.

I think Vika is a big hitter. She doesn't hit quite as hard as Maria, Venus or some others, but she times the ball very well. When she's in top form her ground game is lethal because she takes the ball so early, redirecting shots and using a hitters pace against them.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9_FqexqAA[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Indian Wells 2015 VIDEO HD

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3CQlL6E_g[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-192ttr7VU[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh2qwPHdOik[/video]

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sloane actually won a match. She still didn't play that well, but was able to overcome all those errors.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Sloane actually won a match. She still didn't play that well, but was able to overcome all those errors.

Color me shocked.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:
fashionista said:

I'd like to see her be aggressive in every match w/ her shot selection and do it for 2 full sets. I've seen her fall victim to some patchy play, DF's and poor shots when she is in control of a match. Then has to rally herself to get the control back.

Yeah I agree with you. Last year she seemed a lot more consistent. Perhaps a lot of players figured out her game after a breakout year.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8WMNNUCBw[/video]

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Im hearing Serena hurt her knee. Any info anyone?