Indian Wells 2015

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This will be a very different Indian Wells with Serena Williams playing in it.

The draw is out.

Here are the projected quarterfinals.

Serena -- Makarova
Simona -- Aga
Genie -- Caroline
Ivanovic -- Maria

I think Serena will win this one. Caro must be tired playing in stupid tourneys. Aga, Ana and Genie are in bad form. The dominatrix will get dominated by Azrenka very early. I expect good showing here for Simona and Makarova (who benefitted by Petra's withdrawal).

The WTA qualifying started today and ends tomorrow. The main draw action for WTA starts
on Wednesday.

p.s. BTW, there is only one Williams in the draw.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This will be interesting. Serena has an interesting draw with Kuzzy, Safarova and others in her quarter. Ouch at a Vika and Maria showing so early. Maria is in pretty good form, and Vika is getting there. It should be an interesting match. I would expect Maria to come out on top in that one for now. A good opportunity for some players to redeem themselves after their crappy Australian Open performances.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is a great story of a girl who was at IW, went back to Austin and then immediately
took an about turn back to IW as she got a WC into qualifying at the last minute.

American Lauren Embree took a long road to get into qualifying at the BNP Paribas Open – literally.

Embree played in the BNP Paribas Challenge pre-qualifying event last week, with the winner earning a wildcard into the qualifying event. Embree reached the semifinals, but came up short. After the match, Embree was making her travel plans to Austin, Texas, when she heard some news.

“After I lost, I heard the two finalists were getting wildcards anyways,” Embree said. “I asked before I took my flight, ‘Are you sure I’m not getting a wildcard?’ They said the chances aren’t high because there’s other people. I said, ‘OK.’ I got on my flight to Austin Saturday morning. When I landed, I got a text from tournament director Steve Simon saying we’d like to offer you a wildcard.

“I was in Austin, so I was calling my coach and my parents, ‘What should I do?’ So I got a flight back on Sunday morning and I’m here. I can’t turn this down. I’ll postpone Austin.”

The trip paid off on Monday, as Embree defeated Kimiko Date-Krumm when the Japanese veteran retired after trailing 6-2, 5-2 down to the former University of Florida standout.

Embree, who helped lead the Gators to the NCAA titles in 2011 and 2012, is one of two Americans who advanced to Tuesday’s second and final round of qualifying. The winners today will advance to the main draw, which begins Wednesday.

So close to the main draw, Embree couldn’t help but contemplate the opportunity.

“That would be awesome. This is one of the biggest tournament’s I’ve played,” said Embree, who is ranked No. 322 in the world. “That would be pretty cool if I won (Tuesday).”

Embree will face 12th-seeded Daria Gavrilova, a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 winner over Anna Rodionova.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I had already posted in the news section that Laura Robson has started training in Florida and at this stage she dosent know when she will be able to compete.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone in here going to Indian Wells and bring some pictures I'm allowed to use - please? i'm writing for a Danish online tennis mag called Tennisavisen.dk - so it would be nice to have "real" pictures from eg. Carolines Matches. For once a nice draw for Caroline. looking forward to a Caroline - Serena final:cool:

J

junren65

I live within 4 hours of Palm Springs in beautiful Arizona. I wish I could afford to attend.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena Williams is scheduled to play her first match at 7 p.m. on Friday, the 13th in the
main Stadium.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Pennetta Got her mural! Very nice.

Pennetta%20Mural_zpscidrriur.png

Link

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The poor girl who made a trip back to IW after going home to Austin lost in the second round
of qualifying.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Poor Vika she keeps getting these early tests. I'm curious to see Maria's form after getting sick in Mexico. She started off the year well. I'm hoping Vika has the drive to mop the floor with her.

I'm interested to see Keys return. Does anyone know why she hasn't played since Melbourne?

There's definitely some players that need to take the opportunity to right their ship here in Indian Wells. Aga and Ana come to mind.

Genie I'll be watching for until summer. I want to see if Sam is really going to make a difference.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
Poor Vika she keeps getting these early tests. I'm curious to see Maria's form after getting sick in Mexico. She started off the year well. I'm hoping Vika has the drive to mop the floor with her.

I'm interested to see Keys return. Does anyone know why she hasn't played since Melbourne?

There's definitely some players that need to take the opportunity to right their ship here in Indian Wells. Aga and Ana come to mind.

Genie I'll be watching for until summer. I want to see if Sam is really going to make a difference.

Vika has a h2h lead over Sharapova on HC,regardless of the leading h2h,with Maria picking up a stomach virus in Mexico,Vika being hampered in the 2nd set of the final at Doha,this encounter I feel in ways,will show us where Vika's game is at present.

I am yet to see any difference that Martina N has brought to Aga's game,I guess it is still early days

Ana Ivanovic....hmmmm still remains a question mark to me in ways,one day she shows great play,next day she gets blown off the court.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Madison Keys she picked up a thigh injury at the Australian Open,the reason she hasnt played since then.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
On hard court, I don't feel sorry for Vika but rather the opponent. Unless she is still injured, I pick her to beat Pova.

As I have said before, there is not much a coach can do to help Aga. She lacks power and short of adding a few inches to her height or twenty pounds to her weight, she will continue playing at this level. Considering her slight frame, she is doing very well.

I am looking forward to seeing Keys. Not expecting improvement from Bouchard except a better serve. I think she is stuck with her ground stroke mechanics.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:

Keys was busy signing on the dotted line like what Sloane did after beating Serena :popcorn

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
In regards to Madison Keys she picked up a thigh injury at the Australian Open,the reason she hasnt played since then.

Ah well probably smart of her to give herself a few months more of a semi-off season with new coaches.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
sk310 said:

Vika has a h2h lead over Sharapova on HC,regardless of the leading h2h,with Maria picking up a stomach virus in Mexico,Vika being hampered in the 2nd set of the final at Doha,this encounter I feel in ways,will show us where Vika's game is at present.

I am yet to see any difference that Martina N has brought to Aga's game,I guess it is still early days

Ana Ivanovic....hmmmm still remains a question mark to me in ways,one day she shows great play,next day she gets blown off the court.

Yeah. I think physically Vika is pretty close to 100% and has regained her endurance for 3 setters and week to week play. Now it's just getting back to 100% on confidence. Either way I think she has to feel positive about how her comeback year is going so far. She's beat some high quality opponents. I never know what to expect from Sharapova. When she reaches a point where her game seems to be peaking again she kind of sinks back down to mediocrity really quickly. I'm not sure if its motivation or just how her confidence works.

Aga I'm not sure is going to gain from Martina. I'm not sure the "icon coach" brings that much to a player's game other than a few tips. What they really bring is a kind of confidence boost and a reminder of what that player can have. It's like this big red light sitting in the stands like a finish line.

Ana... who knows.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a feeling that may be next year Venus will play at IW and Serena will skip IW.
This way they can make sure that they are not taking the limelight from each other
(not to mention any appearance fee that Larry gives).

Does anyone else think it might happen?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Women's doubles draw is out. Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis are the top dogs.
The Czech doubles team got reunited. Also, Lisa Ramond and Samantha Stosur are
reuniting. These two together had been in top 2 in doubles for a long time, if I remember right.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena's first round opponent is now determined. It will be Monica and not Krunic. I think this
is a good news for Serena. I remember Krunic playing very good at the end of last year.