How happy are you by Novak Djokovic's defeat at the USO2021?

How happy are you by Djokovic's defeat at the USO2021?

• Am I'm over the moon, feeling great, will celebrate (or already am).

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Good to see him lose, but it's no biggie for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Not happy, but relieved for the sake of the Next Gen breakthrough.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi, it's polltime.

Speaking for myself, I loathed N.D. since the early days with his time wasting between serves but i give him some credit as his come along way from 2007-2012. Next, his style of play is based on having a great defense and speed around the court. No real weapons like Federer or Sampras in their hey day. He is also mentally tough competitor.

So the question is How happy are you by Novak Djokovic's defeat at the USO2021...and why you arrived at that?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was non-pluses about the match and resigned to him accomplishing what Roger missed out on in back to back years in 2006-07 in Paris against Nadal. I watched the last set and a few games. He’ll get to 21 or 22 I should think. Statistically, he’ll be the consensus best of the Fedalovic era.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was non-pluses about the match and resigned to him accomplishing what Roger missed out on in back to back years in 2006-07 in Paris against Nadal. I watched the last set and a few games. He’ll get to 21 or 22 I should think. Statistically, he’ll be the consensus best of the Fedalovic era.
Yes he has to be goat based on stats. Always wondered how it could’ve turned out if he didnt play Rogers late prime, or Rafa who is a bit more worn. Now with fedal fading, he is the last flag bearer of the big 3, might get more chances as the current crop still hasn’t sorted out their mental hiccup. 22 slams for Novak I should think.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
21 , possibly at next year Australian Open (if they go ahead with it?). But Dannil may well have came of age and would not surprise me if he became a dominant figure in the game for 2-3 years.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I already expressed my feelings on another thread, so it's just a formality when I repeat that "I'm over the moon". I also wish that your prediction Vince come true and Dannil becomes the dominant figure (he does deserve it with the feat of stopping Joker), moreover I wish he be joined by other players (Zverev, Shapo, whoever is there) who collectively ensure the player who does not deserve being #1, stays subdued in future slams.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I already expressed my feelings on another thread, so it's just a formality when I repeat that "I'm over the moon". I also wish that your prediction Vince come true and Dannil becomes the dominant figure (he does deserve it with the feat of stopping Joker), moreover I wish he be joined by other players (Zverev, Shapo, whoever is there) who collectively ensure the player who does not deserve being #1, stays subdued in future slams.
Thanks mate. Well this is more of a Poll. Any particular reason why you dislike N.D. ? To me, Dannil best chance of winning the slams was the U.S. and Australian Open. He nearly did so two years ago. I recall saying to a friend of mine after his defeat at the hands of Rafa Nadal that Medvedev will go on to win the U.S. and Australian Opens as his game is suited to hard courts. I wasn't far off the prediction.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Thanks mate. Well this is more of a Poll. Any particular reason why you dislike N.D. ? To me, Dannil best chance of winning the slams was the U.S. and Australian Open. He nearly did so two years ago. I recall saying to a friend of mine after his defeat at the hands of Rafa Nadal that Medvedev will go on to win the U.S. and Australian Opens as his game is suited to hard courts. I wasn't far off the prediction.
There are many, many reasons to dislike Joker, let's remind just few.
On court:
- Crashed many racquets while frustrated on lost points (came close at hitting the spectators when his racket bounced)
- Hit an official with a ball at last USO and was disqualified
- Yelled at the ballboy startling them, albeit unintentionally (I think it happened more than once)
- His ritual of endless ball bouncing is more annoying than Nad's rituals
Off court reasons are even stronger:
- Covid spreading tournament organization when other top 3 were isolating according to rules
- Ignorant (dancing at sweaty disco during this very tour) to the point of contracting Covid himself and spreading it to his family and other players
- Anti-vaxxer
- Conspiracy theorists promoting some BS "supernatural healers" of his country (compare this to the promotions Fed or Nad are doing)
- As Nick Kyrgios said his overall appearance is "cringeworthy"

Reactions: Vince Evert

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On court:
- Crashed many racquets while frustrated on lost points (came close at hitting the spectators when his racket bounced)
- Yelled at the ballboy startling them, albeit unintentionally (I think it happened more than once)
- Covid spreading tournament organization when other top 3 were isolating according to rules
- Ignorant (dancing at sweaty disco during this very tour) to the point of contracting Covid himself and spreading it to his family and other players
- Anti-vaxxer
- Conspiracy theorists promoting some BS "supernatural healers" of his country (compare this to the promotions Fed or Nad are doing)
So much wrong in one post, flawed Aussie culture for all to see

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
djokers ball hitting the linesperson was an accident and he paid dearly for it, just like others so equal treatment there. Endless ball bouncing is annoying but is definitely not the only annoying behavior. Anti-vaxx, only dogs judge people with their rights to choose. Disgusting when idiots think they are qualified to make moral judgment on peoples believes. And NK thinks he is cringeworthy as your reason? The dumb (but lucky) country is certainly well represented here.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I voted "Other" but could have voted "Not happy, but relieved for the sake of Next Gen breakthrough."

On one hand, as a tennis fan first and foremost over any player (sorry, fellow Federer fanboys and fangirls), I would have liked to see a true Grand Slam. Also, I like Novak - I like that he has some rather wacky views on life (I do too), and I've always admired his class in defeat.

On the other hand...well, finally! As I wrote in the "Changing of the Guard" thread, Thiem's win last year was big, but he did it without beating any of the Big Three. This win seems more definite and symbolically resonant, perhaps because Medvedev beat the top dog and--let's be honest--the first among equals of the three-headed GOAT. Meaning, unlike Thiem last year, he took the crown from Novak's head.

That said, I do think Novak will win another Slam or two. With the Grand Slam dream behind him, his next accomplishment goal has to be distancing himself from Roger and Rafa. And he will. I predict he wins two more. Maybe one, maybe three, but 22 sounds right. I think it will be harder now than ever. Medvedev has opened the door, showing it can be done, and will not only be hungry to take the next step and claim #1, but the other two members of the Next Gen "Biggish Three"--Zverev and Tsitsipas--will be chomping at the bit to joint the club.

And of course, the Millenial Gen's trio of Auger-Aliassime, Sinner, and Alcaraz are starting to make serious noise. I don't think any of them will win Slams in 2022, but they're getting there, and by 2023 should be right in the mix.

I do think Roger is done winning Slams, and probably Rafa too. But you never know...The tennis fan in me loves the idea of Rafa winning one more RG and then calling it quits as he receives his trophy, and Roger doing the same a month later at Wimbledon. I think the former is far more likely than the latter, though.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I voted "Other" but could have voted "Not happy, but relieved for the sake of Next Gen breakthrough."

On one hand, as a tennis fan first and foremost over any player (sorry, fellow Federer fanboys and fangirls), I would have liked to see a true Grand Slam. Also, I like Novak - I like that he has some rather wacky views on life (I do too), and I've always admired his class in defeat.

On the other hand...well, finally! As I wrote in the "Changing of the Guard" thread, Thiem's win last year was big, but he did it without beating any of the Big Three. This win seems more definite and symbolically resonant, perhaps because Medvedev beat the top dog and--let's be honest--the first among equals of the three-headed GOAT. Meaning, unlike Thiem last year, he took the crown from Novak's head.

That said, I do think Novak will win another Slam or two. With the Grand Slam dream behind him, his next accomplishment goal has to be distancing himself from Roger and Rafa. And he will. I predict he wins two more. Maybe one, maybe three, but 22 sounds right. I think it will be harder now than ever. Medvedev has opened the door, showing it can be done, and will not only be hungry to take the next step and claim #1, but the other two members of the Next Gen "Biggish Three"--Zverev and Tsitsipas--will be chomping at the bit to joint the club.

And of course, the Millenial Gen's trio of Auger-Aliassime, Sinner, and Alcaraz are starting to make serious noise. I don't think any of them will win Slams in 2022, but they're getting there, and by 2023 should be right in the mix.

I do think Roger is done winning Slams, and probably Rafa too. But you never know...The tennis fan in me loves the idea of Rafa winning one more RG and then calling it quits as he receives his trophy, and Roger doing the same a month later at Wimbledon. I think the former is far more likely than the latter, though.
From what I have been reading, Rafa is looking at this as the 4 quarter not the two minutes warning. I think he is going to play two or 3 more years and go for #25. What Daniil's victory did was provided Balance in the Force.

Toni Nadal said in June that Novak was not unbeatable and that he had confidence that his nephew would be able to defeat him at USO. Unfortunately, that didn't happen but Medvedev did..I would love for Rafa to face Daniil in the finals at AO but going through both Novak and Daniil is not realistic.
Remember, Rafa is dealing with pain management not a restricted foot injury (Margaret please keep me honest if I am not correct.)

Roger is DONE..God Bless the KING. He changed the game forever.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So much wrong in one post, flawed Aussie culture for all to see
I thought Nick was pathetic in his first round loss. He needs to make up his mind if he wants to play the sport or perhaps build on his media career.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On court:
- Anti-vaxxer
Ever heard/seen an american guy called Mark Dickson. He would bounce the ball 20-30 times between serves (circa 1982/83 U S Open) !

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
djokers ball hitting the linesperson was an accident and he paid dearly for it, just like others so equal treatment there. Endless ball bouncing is annoying but is definitely not the only annoying behavior. Anti-vaxx, only dogs judge people with their rights to choose. Disgusting when idiots think they are qualified to make moral judgment on peoples believes. And NK thinks he is cringeworthy as your reason? The dumb (but lucky) country is certainly well represented here.
Yes by the terrible two's Kyrigos and Tomic.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From what I have been reading, Rafa is looking at this as the 4 quarter not the two minutes warning. I think he is going to play two or 3 more years and go for #25. What Daniil's victory did was provided Balance in the Force.

Toni Nadal said in June that Novak was not unbeatable and that he had confidence that his nephew would be able to defeat him at USO. Unfortunately, that didn't happen but Medvedev did..I would love for Rafa to face Daniil in the finals at AO but going through both Novak and Daniil is not realistic.
Remember, Rafa is dealing with pain management not a restricted foot injury (Margaret please keep me honest if I am not correct.)

Roger is DONE..God Bless the KING. He changed the game forever.
How Rafa sees it and how it actually is, aren't the same thing. His chances of reaching 25 Slams are almost nil. First of all, if he really does return to Slam-winning form, that will only inspire Novak to work harder. Secondly, the talent is gradually percolating up - this is no longer a soft top 10, with Medvedev, plus Tsitsipas and Zverev, Rublev and Berretini, and then the Young Brats (FAA, Sinner, Alcaraz) showing strong development. Not to mention Thiem wanting to re-assert himself, and all of the other dangerous players who could play spoiler.

Next Gen hasn't yet shown that it is a premier generation, but it is a helluva lot better than Lost Gen, and they're also entering their prime years as Novak and Rafa are in their mid-30s, not late 20s like they were when Raonic, Dimitrov etc were trying to break through. Meaning, peak Next Gen is not only (a lot) better than peak Lost Gen, but the old guys are older, so the gap is smaller. And the gap may actually have vanished, or that is what Medvedev hoped to have proven.

That said, maybe Rafa has one more push in him to win a couple more. But that's it, and even so the pathway is quite narrow. No way he wins five more.

Reactions: atttomole