GNP Seguros WTA Finals Cancun, Mexico, 2023

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No 7 seeds Dabrowski/Routliffe advanced to the SFs with a 64 62 victory over the No 6 seeds Siegemund/Zvonaraeva, conditions very windy

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek not messing around, bagels Coco Gauff in 27 minutes, lets see if Coco can re-set in 2nd set

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OMG Coco hit 4 DFs while serving for the 2nd set, back on serve 5 all,
Coco who I hope finds her serve ASAP will serve to force a TB for the 2nd set 5-6
Swiatek d Gauff 60 75, Iga handled the windy conditions well, not so well Coco.
Ever since the USO, Iga has been back doing Iga things,
6-0 sets and win streaks
8 match win strreak.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OMG Coco hit 4 DFs while serving for the 2nd set, back on serve 5 all,
Coco who I hope finds her serve ASAP will serve to force a TB for the 2nd set 5-6
Swiatek d Gauff 60 75, Iga handled the windy conditions well, not so well Coco.
Ever since the USO, Iga has been back doing Iga things,
6-0 sets and win streaks
8 match win strreak.
Bad loss for Coco. Should have least got it to a 3rd set.

• Wow
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On.Jabeur posted her first win and get some revenge on the Wimbledon champ Vondrousova 64 63

Sanders/Mertens d Nicole Melichar-Martinez / E.Perez 75 64

Last doubles match of the day
Krejiciova/Siniakova (4) d Gauff/Pegula (1) 36 75 10-6

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA FInals,
Order of Play,
2nd November, starting at 12.30pm

S.Aoyama/E.Shibahara (3) vs N.Mekichlar-Martinez/E.Perez(8)
S.Hunter/E.Mertens/(2) vs D.Krawczyk/D.Schuura (5)

J.Pegula (5) vs M.Sakkari (8)
A.Sabalenka (1) vs E.Rybakina (4)

C.Gauff/J.Pegula (1) vs V.Zvonareva/L.Siegemund (6)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A ' fun fact' for Iga Swiatek ( playing the finals in Cancun), Iga has now matched her bagel tally from last year with 22 whitewash sets in 2023 ( so far)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Play has been temporarily suspended due to rain
Doubles match,
Shibahara/Aoyama lead Melichar-Martinez/Perez 2-0
Match has now resumed

Melichard-Martinez/Perez (8) d S.Aoyma/E.Shibahara (3) 46 62 10-6

In the 2nd doubles match before the singles matches,
S.Hunter/E.Mertens (2) d D.Krawczyk/D.Schuurs (5) 62 63
Hunter/Mertens win the Maya Ka'an Group with a 3-0 record.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jessica Pegula completes a flawless round robin beating Maria Sakkari 63 62. BTW Jess is now 50-0 when winning the 1st set in 2023. Dosent get much better than that!
Jess is looking good.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the 2nd singles match between Sabalenka v Rybakina, rain has suspended the match,
Sabalenka leads Rybalina 5-1, impressively.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka v Rybakina match has now resumed, Sabalenka leading 5-1 1st set, fingers crossed no more suspensions due to rain
Of course the weather didnt listen to me rain and hurricane wind arrive, match suspended again with Sabalenka leading 62 3-5
If they conclude this match the last match, doubles match between Gauff/Pegula vs Siegemund/Zvonareva will be move to Friday order of play

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
After hours of utterly miserable weather, the match between Sabalenka v Rybakina this match will be decided tomorrow ( Friday)
Sabalenka 1st set 62
Rybakina leads 5-3 2nd set

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a letter from WTA chief Steve Simon, addressing the complaints from the players at the WTA Finals, in Cancun,

Hi,

Many thanks to those of you who were able to join our meeting here in Cancun.We do welcome your engagement and hope that it will continue.As we were not able to get into some of the areas, we felt it important to share with you the following.

First and foremost, it is clear that you are not happy with the decision to be here in Cancun.I understand that you have been heard.As I reflected to you, this is not where we expected to be and the decision for this location was based on a number of complicated factors.It is not a perfect event, we understand the conditions are a challenge and the WTA will of course accepts responsibility for that.I am appreciate that you have reflected in the media your recognition of the significant support from Cancun and all of the people that are working so hard to put on the event.I wish you the best of luck for remainder of the event, and, as always, we are here to provide you any support and assistance that we can as you all deserve the best.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Finals,
Order of Play, November 3
Start at 11.30am
B.Krejcikova/K.Siniakova (4) vs G.Dabrowski/E.Routliffe (7)

Not before 1pm,
D.Krawczyk/D.Schuurs (5) vs N.Melichar-Martinez/E.Perez (8)

Not before 3pm, To be finished 6-2 3-5
A.Sabalenka (1) vs E.Rybakina (4)

Not before 5pm,
C.Gauff (3) vs M.Vondrousova (7)

Not before 6pm,
I.Swiatek (1) vs O.Jabeur (6)

Followed by a Doubles match that was cancelled on Thursday due to bad weather,
C.Gauff/J.Pegula (1) vs V.Zvonareva/L.Siegemund (6)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a letter from WTA chief Steve Simon, addressing the complaints from the players at the WTA Finals, in Cancun,

Hi,

Many thanks to those of you who were able to join our meeting here in Cancun.We do welcome your engagement and hope that it will continue.As we were not able to get into some of the areas, we felt it important to share with you the following.

First and foremost, it is clear that you are not happy with the decision to be here in Cancun.I understand that you have been heard.As I reflected to you, this is not where we expected to be and the decision for this location was based on a number of complicated factors.It is not a perfect event, we understand the conditions are a challenge and the WTA will of course accepts responsibility for that.I am appreciate that you have reflected in the media your recognition of the significant support from Cancun and all of the people that are working so hard to put on the event.I wish you the best of luck for remainder of the event, and, as always, we are here to provide you any support and assistance that we can as you all deserve the best.
Interesting

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting
At least he acknowledged that the facilities at Cancun was not up to the standard of holding a WTA finals event, yes it was a last minute decision, though to waste money building a stadium, which wasnt ready till the last minute and apparently the playing surface is like playing on 'leather' is sub standard, when I mentioned in a post they already had a stadium with good facilities where they hold a WTA1000 tournament in Mexico, why didnt they use it?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA No 1 ranking scenario at WTA Finals,
If Sabalenka reaches the final, she will lock up the top ranking.If she falls before the final, Swiatek can overtake her only by winning the title

Reactions: Kieran