GNP Seguros WTA Finals Cancun, Mexico, 2023

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Players Coco Gauff and Ons Jabeur back on court and warming up, due to their match being suspended after the 1st set which Gauff won 6-0
Gauff held her serve in the first game of the 2nd set before the match was suspended to rain

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff defeats Ons Jabeur 60 61, Coco looking good all match, I bet the off season cannot come quick enough for Ons, she has been complaining her knee isnt still 100% she has had the time enough to get the necessary treatment for her knee, because of the demands of playing on the tour.
Breaking news
Chandra Rubing and Lindsay Davenport that Piere Riba is no longer a member of Coco's Gauff coaching team? always interesting when a split happens when things are going well. Wonder who will pick him up? Brad Gilbert was in Coco's box.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff d Ons Jabeur 60 61 Coco looking good all match
I bet the off season cant come quick enough for Ons, who is still complaining her knee isnt 100% and the tour is too demanding she cant get ii healed
Coco is the first teenager since Caroline Wozniacki since 2009, to win 50 matches in a season and 8 coming against Top 10 players
Breaking New,
From Chandra Rubin Lyndsay Davenport that Pere Riba is no longer a member of Coco's coaching team, Brad Gilbert was in Coco's box.I wonder who will pick him up, interesting seeing everything was going smoothly in Coco's world
Coco responded to the press reason why Riba left her coaching staff, it was his decision apparently, if it was up to Coco she wanted him to stay on her coaching team, it was an amicable split

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Finals,
Order of Play,
Tuesday 31st October,
Starts at 2.30pm,

B.Krejcikova/K.Siniakova (4) vs L.Siegemund/V.Zonareva (6)

A.Sabalenka (1) vs J.Pegula (5)

E.Rybakina (4) vs M.Sakkari (8)

S.Hunter/E.Mertens (2) vs N.Melichar-Martinez/E.Perez (8)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff defeats Ons Jabeur 60 61, Coco looking good all match, I bet the off season cannot come quick enough for Ons, she has been complaining her knee isnt still 100% she has had the time enough to get the necessary treatment for her knee, because of the demands of playing on the tour.
Breaking news
Chandra Rubing and Lindsay Davenport that Piere Riba is no longer a member of Coco's Gauff coaching team? always interesting when a split happens when things are going well. Wonder who will pick him up? Brad Gilbert was in Coco's box.
Hiring Brad Gilbert was an inspired move by Coco..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hiring Brad Gilbert was an inspired move by Coco..
Apparently it has worked out for both of them although Brad's coaching antics for me are more than a major annoyance to suffer through. I guess I'm just old school about things such as coaching on the ATP and WTA tours, the sexual crap that is allowed or being pushed down our throats on television/movies and legalize cannibais which for me all stinks. IMO

Reactions: tented and Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Thank God the negotiations broke down with the Saudis! though there are still people high up in the WTA still wanting to hold tournaments there in the future!
Building a stadium with setbacks in Cancun to me is just stupid as they already have a good complex at Guadalajara in Mexico where they hold a WTA1000 event, and would have saved money and time etc, just my thoughts., and the players would not have complained about the court conditions etc
Those building a new stadium in Charlotte should keep this in mind. This project should be aborted while it still can. We already have a good complex in Winston Salem.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently it has worked out for both of them although Brad's coaching antics for me are more than a major annoyance to suffer through. I guess I'm just old school about things such as coaching on the ATP and WTA tours, the sexual crap that is allowed or being pushed down our throats on television/movies and legalize cannibais which for me all stinks. IMO
You and me both, brother. With regards to Gilbert, he’s apparently a great positive person to be around, and he’s good at the psychological stuff. Even now, 20 years after his heyday as a coach with Agassi, his winning dirty ideas work. It was one of the most stupid decisions in tennis history when Roddick parted ways with Gilbert in 2004…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You and me both, brother. With regards to Gilbert, he’s apparently a great positive person to be around, and he’s good at the psychological stuff. Even now, 20 years after his heyday as a coach with Agassi, his winning dirty ideas work. It was one of the most stupid decisions in tennis history when Roddick parted ways with Gilbert in 2004…
Agreed.. Roddick's game needed some of Brad's coaching against Roger..I think one hardest things for an athlete playing an individual sport like tennis to live with is to know that one person's dominance over you was something that you could NEVER overcome. That's why in the neighborhood I came from if someone whipped you in a fight , you were forced by your peers to go back and fight again and again until you was victorious. It's all apart of problem solving my dear friend..cheers!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed.. Roddick's game needed some of Brad's coaching against Roger..I think one hardest things for an athlete playing an individual sport like tennis to live with is to know that one person's dominance over you was something that you could NEVER overcome. That's why in the neighborhood I came from if someone whipped you in a fight , you were forced by your peers to go back and fight again and again until you was victorious. It's all apart of problem solving my dear friend..cheers!
That’s very good, and it’s something Brad was ideal for, because Andy never really was as good without him…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I recall during the USO this year Coco asked Brad in a polite way to 'shut up' as she likes to solve problems on court for herself, which I condone, I feel Brad is a good tactical coach,.though at times can get over the 'top'. I am not surprised that Riba left, I feel having 2 coaches can be at times distracting for a player, unless they are on the same page with their coaching and tactical coaching, just my thoughts, though we have seen with other players having more than one coach it does work

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I recall during the USO this year Coco asked Brad in a polite way to 'shut up' as she likes to solve problems on court for herself, which I condone, I feel Brad is a good tactical coach,.though at times can get over the 'top'. I am not surprised that Riba left, I feel having 2 coaches can be at times distracting for a player, unless they are on the same page with their coaching and tactical coaching, just my thoughts, though we have seen with other players having more than one coach it does work
Good points MM. .I believe sooner or later a player is gonna tell another players team to F off or I do imagine a mean state down or something.jajaja( yes I have been guilty of both. Jajaja bad guy villain AP)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rybakina had to dig deep in the 3rd set to win over Maria Sakkari, 60 67(4) 76(2)

Pegula wins the group
Sakkari is out
Rybakina and Sabalenka will fight for the 2nd place

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Final match of the day as the 4 players were finished their warm ups and match suspended due to rain, lets hope it is just a passing shower

E.Mertens/S.Hunter (2) vs N.Melichar-Martinez/E.Perez (8)

Rain has cleared match has just started

Mertens/Hunter 1st set 75 and were leading 2-0 in the 2nd set, until the rain came back again, match suspended

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Finals,
Order of play,
Wednesday November 1st,
Extra doubles matches being played due to the fact of rain suspending them,
Starting 12.30pm,
L.Siegemund/V.Zvonareva (6) vs E.Routliffe/G.Dabrowski (7)

Not before 2pm,
D.Krawczyk/D.Schuurs (5) vs N.Melichar-Martinez/E.Perez (8)

Not before 5pm,
I.Swiatek (2) vs C.Gauff (3)
O.Jabeur (6) vs M.Vondrousova (7)

C.Gauff/J.Pegula (1) vs B.Krejcikova/K.Siniakova (4)