Farewell & R.I.P.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just a few days before his 97th, another music great goes to Heaven. R.I.P Tony Bennett.

Loved his duets special from a few years ago such as Lady Gaga - The Lady is a Tramp and Aretha Franklin - How Do You Keep The Music Playing.

Last edited:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Just a few days before his 97th, another music great goes to Heaven. R.I.P Tony Bennett.

Loved his duets special from a few years ago such as Lady Gaga - The Lady is a Tramp and Aretha Franklin - How Do You Keep The Music Playing.

May he R.I.P. (I'm very sorry for the inappropriate comment earlier *inappropriate because it wasn't said merely in disbelief*. It's just that unfortunately there's been that many hoax's over the years. I only really believe it if I see it from sources of information I trust. I've now seen that so can act appropriately.) He'll be missed & there won't ever be anyone like him.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"I Wanna Be Around" is one of my all-time favorite tunes by anybody, and Bennett slayed it. He is the last of that breed of singer--Crosby, Sinatra, Torme, etc.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RIP Tony Bennett. I always thought his rendition of Fly me to the Moon was by far and away the best...

When SF celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge back in ‘87 Tony came out and sang his signature “I left my heart in San Francisco” and the grumpy, tired crowd at Crissy Field erupted, he also did an appearance singing it the 2012 SF Giants World Series celebration at City Hall and again the Giants fans were over the moon.

“…Little cablecars climb halfway to the stars..” only Tony could make that cheezy line sound like poetry. You notice not that many covers of that songs by the great ones because how do you improve on perfection?

• Love
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
May he R.I.P. (I'm very sorry for the inappropriate comment earlier *inappropriate because it wasn't said merely in disbelief*. It's just that unfortunately there's been that many hoax's over the years. I only really believe it if I see it from sources of information I trust. I've now seen that so can act appropriately.) He'll be missed & there won't ever be anyone like him.

Not at all inappropriate. Even at 96, and fading, I think we all feel he was gone too soon. He is the end of an era.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought his work will Bill Evans, (whom I also love,) was under appreciated:

Reactions: shawnbm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I have to tell a Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga story. After they made the album, which I think made him the oldest person ever with a top pop album, at 88, or something, they did a Barnes and Noble promo for Christmas. A friend of mine was the production manager. Shot here in NYC. At 89, at the time, I think, he required very little in terms of demands. (We work with major and minor celebrities all the time, and they can come with LOTS of demands.) Just a car. He had his own groomer, he came with his own suit. He said he'd be camera-ready in 20 minutes, and he was. Lady Gaga, by all accounts, really loved him, and didn't diva for a second, out of respect. They actually sang on set, with it only being "sweetened" a bit in post-production. A great gift to the crew. His voice held up until nearly the end. Such an elegant man, such a professional.

Horsa

Reactions
Not at all inappropriate. Even at 96, and fading, I think we all feel he was gone too soon. He is the end of an era.
O.K. Thank you very much. I agree with your last sentence but for your 2nd one I would say that when household name stars go especially the ones we think are irreplaceable & no-one could ever do what they did at their level we don't believe it as we think they're invincible even though deep down we know they're human & they'll die one day. (Even when they're very ill we still don't think they're going to die.) We just can't imagine life without them even though we know at some point memories & recordings are all we're going to have.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read somewhere that after helping start a breakaway traditionalist Catholic group in which she was a "priestess", she converted to Islam (of all things) a couple years or so ago. Something tells me she had a lot of torment and other issues in her life, sadly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I read somewhere that after helping start a breakaway traditionalist Catholic group in which she was a "priestess", she converted to Islam (of all things) a couple years or so ago. Something tells me she had a lot of torment and other issues in her life, sadly.
Yeah, I think she’s gone through Rastafarianism and islam since then too. She was never settled, always restless and trying to find something that might work for her..

Horsa

Reactions
Indeed I loved 'Nothing Compares to you" actually written by Prince, she had a long battle with mental health issues, RIP
I loved "Nothing Compares to You". I'm very sorry to hear she's said her final goodbyes & that she's had a harsh life that she felt she couldn't cope with. (People have to be desperate before they'll even contemplate suicide nevermind attempt it. I know. I was in that position once & would never do it again. It seems the quick, simple & pain-free way out & it's none of them.) She was a good singer who no-one will ever replace. May she R.I.P.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t know what happened to her, brother, I’ve seen no news regarding the cause of death yet. She was a troubled soul, that’s for sure. Strong woman and great singer too!
Indeed I loved 'Nothing Compares to you" actually written by Prince, she had a long battle with mental health issues, RIP
From what I hear, she was supposed to do a tour in Australia in 2024, her son took his own life 1 year ago
I would have to admit as big as fan of Prince as I was of his classic falsetto voice, Sinead's rendition of his song was far better. I just dont recall any other songs by her but again I am in the States.

I think that was the breaking point loosing a child to his own metal health Illness and struggles..
May she RIP.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
From what I hear, she was supposed to do a tour in Australia in 2024, her son took his own life 1 year ago
Very sad news. It seems like she suffered the same fate as Lisa Marie Presley who died 6 months ago.