Era of the Big Four is Over

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, I'm being hyperbolic. There are Slams and big titles still to be won. But consider this: all of the Big Four are out of Miami as of the second round. When was the last time that happened at a big tournament? I haven't done the research, but I'm guessing a decade or more.

I'll scan some pages and see if I can come up with an answer.

Anyhow, though I do think we'll see more big titles from the Big Four, the times they are a changin.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's been clear even last year. The fact that Fedal won all slams last year was deceiving.
The fact that WTF and 4 master have gone non Big 4 players it was clear to me that the tide is turning.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here's the answer to my question: the last time one of the Big Four didn't make it past the second round of a big tournament was....wait for it...

The 2004 Paris Masters, when none of them played. That's 13 1/2 years.

2012 Paris Masters was the last time at least one of them wasn't in the quarterfinal. Before that we have to go back to 2006 Paris Masters.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No hyperbole. I think you're right. All four could and probably will win some big titles yet, and we may still use the term, for the sake of brevity, but I think it's over, too. @El Dude, you have the ability to look at my draw picks. I went pretty full-on NextGen. (Ok, a really ill-advised choice of a deep run by Tsitsipas, but my head was turned by the handsome Greek.) Still, my draw doesn't look as crazy today as it did 2 days ago.

I'm not sure if the 2004 Paris Masters qualifies, as 3 of the Big 4 weren't ready for their close-up (though it's interesting to know.) When do we really mark the beginning of the Big 4...2008?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No hyperbole. I think you're right. All four could and probably will win some big titles yet, and we may still use the term, for the sake of brevity, but I think it's over, too. @El Dude, you have the ability to look at my draw picks. I went pretty full-on NextGen. (Ok, a really ill-advised choice of a deep run by Tsitsipas, but my head was turned by the handsome Greek.) Still, my draw doesn't look as crazy today as it did 2 days ago.

I'm not sure if the 2004 Paris Masters qualifies, as 3 of the Big 4 weren't ready for their close-up (though it's interesting to know.) When do we really mark the beginning of the Big 4...2008?

Well, the Big Four were top 4 in 2008, so that makes sense. It is also the first year Novak won a Slam and Andy won a big title.

To be honest, I'm glad things are shifting...it makes each tournament more unpredictable.

I just did a DNA test for myself and surprisingly came up 43% Greek. I'm half Sicilian, so I guess that is where it comes from...anyhow, my point being I thought you were talking about me for a second ;)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's been clear even last year. The fact that Fedal won all slams last year was deceiving.
The fact that WTF and 4 master have gone non Big 4 players it was clear to me that the tide is turning.

Absolutely. Now it is more clear ;). But I think a lot of folks were expecting a bounce-back, with the Big Four re-asserting itself. Now it seems that Fedal may be fading a bit as well, with no sign of Novandy returning to dominance.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, the Big Four were top 4 in 2008, so that makes sense. It is also the first year Novak won a Slam and Andy won a big title.

To be honest, I'm glad things are shifting...it makes each tournament more unpredictable.

I just did a DNA test for myself and surprisingly came up 43% Greek. I'm half Sicilian, so I guess that is where it comes from...anyhow, my point being I thought you were talking about me for a second ;)
:lulz2: Of course, I meant you, not that dishy Tsitsipas.

So, yes, Big 4 from 2008. The apex has to have been 2012, when each won one of the Majors. Going forward, whatever each does, individually, for sure it won't be the Big 4 again.

Reactions: El Dude

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Absolutely. Now it is more clear ;). But I think a lot of folks were expecting a bounce-back, with the Big Four re-asserting itself. Now it seems that Fedal may be fading a bit as well, with no sign of Novandy returning to dominance.
I think Novandy is not done yet. Once it shakes off the injuries, I expect one more good run from Novandy, just like Fedal in 2017.

Last edited:

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Non-“Big 4” Masters Champions
Monte Carlo 2010-Madrid 2017: 5/65
• Paris’10-Soderling
• Paris’12-Ferrer
• MC’14-Wawrinka
• Canada’14-Tsonga
• Cincy’16-Cilic
Rome 2017-Miami 2018: 6/7
• Rome-Zverev
• Canada-Zverev
• Cincy-Dimitrov
• Paris-Sock
• IW-Delpo
• Miami-TBD

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I'm being hyperbolic. There are Slams and big titles still to be won. But consider this: all of the Big Four are out of Miami as of the second round. When was the last time that happened at a big tournament? I haven't done the research, but I'm guessing a decade or more.

I'll scan some pages and see if I can come up with an answer.

Anyhow, though I do think we'll see more big titles from the Big Four, the times they are a changin.
Dude you are jumping the gun, two of them are injured, djokovic recovering from injury, so its just wait for all them be 100% fit before we kill them off. Federer just won AO18 and nadal back to number one so its at least half the big 4 still dominating.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dude you are jumping the gun, two of them are injured, djokovic recovering from injury, so its just wait for all them be 100% fit before we kill them off. Federer just won AO18 and nadal back to number one so its at least half the big 4 still dominating.
You did not interpret well the title. If only 2 are dominating, that is not the same as 4 . Simple as that.
In other words, the Big 4 domination is over. Period.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
You did not interpret well the title. If only 2 are dominating, that is not the same as 4 . Simple as that.
In other words, the Big 4 domination is over. Period.
Yea but Murray is injured and djokovic recovering from injury, so I think too soon to say its all over for the other two let's wait for end of season then cool.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yea but Murray is injured and djokovic recovering from injury, so I think too soon to say its all over for the other two let's wait for end of season then cool.
Injuries are part of the whole picture. Even if they rebound, the domination got interrupted for more than a year. So, it's over.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In fact, it was over last year. Once Zverev won his first two masters and Dimitrov Cincy, that was it.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Injuries are part of the whole picture. Even if they rebound, the domination got interrupted for more than a year. So, it's over.

Exactly what I was going to say. Injuries aren't simply random or bad luck. They are a sign of aging. Or rather, the older a player gets, the more likely they are to get injured. As a general rule.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Even if they rebound, most likely Fedal won't be dominating anymore at that time when Novandy rebound. So, Big four is surely gone.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
OK point taken its over, but Murray will rebound.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
"That Fedal won all the slams last year is deceiving..."

I think this is again a bad post by you and again very prematurely trying to close out their careers a bit early. Numbers dont lie, Rafa and Fed were and still are the BEST at the sport..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fedal are the best again, and the best for now. If I may presume, I think some are mistaking the point of El Dude's post, which, as I take it, is not that all 4 are done, but that there's no more 4 at the top and everyone else somewhat below their level. Individually, they may play for some time yet at best level, or come back to it, but we don't know when some age out, or if their best is behind them. But it's a more open field than it has been for ages.