The Era of The Big Three

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Was taking a look at The Big Three's Grand Slams records and it's amazing to see what these three have done since 2003.

RF-RN-ND_zpse3kcqnt2.jpg

It all started with Federer dominating, then Nadal starting challenging him, and then winning more with Djokovic now taking up Federer's slack and challenging Nadal. Federer started this era, Nadal continued it and now it's up to Djokovic. We as fans get to see if Djokovic will hold up his end of the Big Thee and rack up a few more Grand Slams before the next generation takes over. Personally, I think if Djokovic can win 3, or 4 more Slams, then he will have held up his part of the Big Three. And ending his career with a winning record against one of the other two would help as well. But just looking at the chart makes us realize that we may never see a Big Three like this again.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kirijax said:
Was taking a look at The Big Three's Grand Slams records and it's amazing to see what these three have done since 2003.

RF-RN-ND_zpse3kcqnt2.jpg

It all started with Federer dominating, then Nadal starting challenging him, and then winning more with Djokovic now taking up Federer's slack and challenging Nadal. Federer started this era, Nadal continued it and now it's up to Djokovic. We as fans get to see if Djokovic will hold up his end of the Big Thee and rack up a few more Grand Slams before the next generation takes over. Personally, I think if Djokovic can win 3, or 4 more Slams, then he will have held up his part of the Big Three. And ending his career with a winning record against one of the other two would help as well. But just looking at the chart makes us realize that we may never see a Big Three like this again.

Agreed! We've had past GOLDEN eras, but nothing like this! In the past, the rest of the tour could manage to break it up some, but with these 3, it's been almost impossible! Records have been set by each and I too can't see any thing like this in my lifetime! The rest of the tour is too mentally deficient; unable to close with 2 points from winning on occasion! It's more than a little embarrassing with the likes of Murray, Del Po, Ferrer, Tsonga, and Wawrinka with limited success against these stars! Most are lucky to have 1 or 2 majors and some Masters wins! They have the game to win more, but something's holding them back; IMO the inability to close and maybe to attack when in the lead! :nono :cover :angel:

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Kirijax said:

RF-RN-ND_zpse3kcqnt2.jpg

Agreed! We've had past GOLDEN eras, but nothing like this! In the past, the rest of the tour could manage to break it up some, but with these 3, it's been almost impossible! Records have been set by each and I too can't see any thing like this in my lifetime! The rest of the tour is too mentally deficient; unable to close with 2 points from winning on occasion! It's more than a little embarrassing with the likes of Murray, Del Po, Ferrer, Tsonga, and Wawrinka with limited success against these stars! Most are lucky to have 1 or 2 majors and some Masters wins! They have the game to win more, but something's holding them back; IMO the inability to close and maybe to attack when in the lead! :nono :cover :angel:

It might also have something to do with the fact that the big 3 are just better than the other players.

I also do not see what is 'embarrassing' about it - I think it is a wonderful era of great champions.

By the way, I think you need to distinguish Murray from the other big 3 challengers - he has been in 7 more slam finals than the others and is the only multiple slam champion, as well as he's won 9 masters titles - the most the others have won is 2 (Tsonga), or 1 (Ferrer, Berdych, Stan).

A

auto-pilot

I think Federer/Djokovic/Murray will fade and it will just be Nadal and Nisikori or someone like that.
Nadal will win Roland Garros and Nishikori/Raonic will win the other slams.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
auto-pilot said:
I think Federer/Djokovic/Murray will fade and it will just be Nadal and Nishikori or someone like that.

:nono :cover :puzzled :eyepop :angel:

A

auto-pilot

^ Not this year but in about 3 years from now, Federer will be gone, Murray/Djokovic will have lost a step and it will cost them because neither have a big weapon to win points with.
Nadal lost steps 6 years ago and simply became more aggressive with the fear hand to knock Djokovic's block off repeatedly at the slams.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
I think Federer/Djokovic/Murray will fade and it will just be Nadal and Nisikori or someone like that.

Yes, Rafa will be winning RG in 2035 when a kid not yet born will be winning Wimbledon. :laydownlaughing

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

Congratulations for one of the daftest posts on this forum in quite some time. And that takes some doing...:lolz:

A

auto-pilot

^ Call me when we have a new Roland Garros champion.
Until then you can't call the notion of Nadal winning slams for longer than Djokovic/Murray/Federer "a daft post".
Djokovic was a close 5th set away from being slamless in 2014.
And the slam he wins regularly (AO) is not the kind of surface that you age well on when you are a weaponless grinder.
And it would surprise nobody if Murray never wins a slam again.
And it would surprise nobody if Federer never wins a slam again.
Whereas Nadal won 2014 RG even easier than he won 2013 RG.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

This has to be trolling, right?

No way Djokovic fades before Nadal. Sorry.

As for the OP, nice one Kirijax. I did a similar chart but expanded it to Masters - the dominance of the Big Three was striking. I'll try to rustle it up later.

Of course who knows, but my guess is that between the three of them they have 8-10 more Slam titles in them. Most of those will be Novak, with some to Rafa and maybe one to Roger.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As far as Slam dominance by just a few players goes, the most comparable era is probably 1974-84 in which you had 30 of 45 Slams, or two-thirds, won by four men: Connnors (8), Vilas (4), Borg (11), and McEnroe (7). It isn't quite the same thing but it is close.

Laver-Rosewall had similar dominance as well, but the tour was less consolidated with the pro/amateur split.

A

auto-pilot

The last time Djokovic had a multiple slam year was 2011.
The last time Nadal had a multiple slam year was 2013.
Djokovic lost his pet slam in 2014.
Nadal has won his pet slam for the last 5 years.
I'm trying to find a sign that Djokovic will win more slams than Nadal in the coming years, but there just isn't one.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
As far as Slam dominance by just a few players goes, the most comparable era is probably 1974-84 in which you had 30 of 45 Slams, or two-thirds, won by four men: Connnors (8), Vilas (4), Borg (11), and McEnroe (7). It isn't quite the same thing but it is close.

Laver-Rosewall had similar dominance as well, but the tour was less consolidated with the pro/amateur split.

I was thinking Connors-Borg-McEnroe-Lendl would maybe compare and even cover a longer time (1974-1990).

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
The last time Djokovic had a multiple slam year was 2011.
The last time Nadal had a multiple slam year was 2013.
Djokovic lost his pet slam in 2014.
Nadal has won his pet slam for the last 5 years.
I'm trying to find a sign that Djokovic will win more slams than Nadal in the coming years, but there just isn't one.

1. He isn't hobbled by incessant injuries.
2. He's played much better tennis over the last year or so.
3. He's a year younger.
4. He's played 100 fewer matches.

Sure, its possible that Rafa wins more Slams from here on out, but my bet is on Novak.

Kirijax said:
El Dude said:

I was thinking Connors-Borg-McEnroe-Lendl would maybe compare and even cover a longer time (1974-1990).

The problem with bringing Lendl into the mix is that his peak was in the late 80s when Wilander, Edberg, and Becker were a major factor - so the pool gets diluted.

Its a shorter period but from 1992-95, Courier, Sampras and Agassi won 75% of all Slams - 12 of 16.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
And the slam he wins regularly (AO) is not the kind of surface that you age well on when you are a weaponless grinder.

"Weaponless grinder?" :laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The troll must close his eyes before he sees Djokovic hit a backhand.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
auto-pilot said:

For f*ck's sake someone ban him already. It's obvious he's a troll (who was already banned under a different account once) and every thread is getting hijacked with the same nonsense. It's repetitive and one of the reasons I basically skim through pages without reading everything. I've never actually cared about anyone getting banned but this is extremely annoying to the point where I have no interest in posting.

We literally can't have a discussion anymore without him making it about the same old stupid topics again and again.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Broken_Shoelace said:
auto-pilot said:

For f*ck's sake someone ban him already. It's obvious he's a troll (who was already banned under a different account once) and every thread is getting hijacked with the same nonsense. It's repetitive and one of the reasons I basically skim through pages without reading everything. I've never actually cared about anyone getting banned but this is extremely annoying to the point where I have no interest in posting.

We literally can't have a discussion anymore without him making it about the same old stupid topics again and again.

I'm of an opposite mind on these players who've people have tried to write off Federer before and hope Nole comes back to Earth! There's a reason these 2 are at the top of the rankings by a lot! I'll never understand how we get such commentary; esp. after Nole just won AO again for the 5th time! Roger only got the better of him on that "ice rink" they called a tennis court in Dubai! He's right on course to have another great season! :rolleyes: :popcorn :angel:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^trolls will be trolls. There is no rhyme or reason for it :blush: