Drugs in Sport - Cover Ups being uncovered

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sport is in a crisis friends... A drug-fuelled crisis.

We've come through the Cycling and Lance Armstrong sagas... but now we lurch into a much bigger crisis. Athletics.

Athletics of course, is the umbrella term for a ton of individual sports.

This article is food for thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/12/iaaf-hiding-russian-drug-bans-london-2012

The main worrying point being that the authorities were completely aware of the what was going on.

Dick Pound will today submit his report that relate to IAAF's "unbelievable" corruption levels.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-unbelievable-corruption-levels-a6810991.html

This is the same Dick Pound who said that tennis has a problem.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Corruption was "embedded" in the world athletics body IAAF and its leaders had to be aware of doping scandals in Russia and other countries, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has said in the second part of its report into doping and corruption in athletics.

"Lord" Sebastian Coe has been identified as the man to clean up athletics.... but this guy was on the council when the cover-ups were happening. His superior Lamiane Diack is under police investigation for taking money to cover up failed Russian dope tests.

Jo Pavey, the European 100m champion said the whole governing body should be disbanded and started again from scratch.

It would appear Athletics has been riddled with doping, cover-ups and corruption.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah... don't know how commonplace it is, but Sampras was on a re hydration drip before playing Edberg at the USO in 92.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I used to do some work for a guy who was a decent athlete, not world class, fringe British Level, more county level than anything but he'd trained with a lot of the top British sprinters at some point or another and said they were all taking stuff. When Chambers got done, they were more pissed that he was stupid enough to have caught rather than the fact he was taking.

It makes sense when you think about it... is there a major outcry about Gatlin (for instance) amongst his peers? Not really...

I listened to a lot of Conte's stuff a few years ago. He makes sense.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I used to do some work for a guy who was a decent athlete, not world class, fringe British Level, more county level than anything but he'd trained with a lot of the top British sprinters at some point or another and said they were all taking stuff. When Chambers got done, they were more pissed that he was stupid enough to have caught rather than the fact he was taking.

It makes sense when you think about it... is there a major outcry about Gatlin (for instance) amongst his peers? Not really...

I listened to a lot of Conte's stuff a few years ago. He makes sense.
I knew someone who used to train in proximity to Linford Christie off an on. And he thought it was a joke anyone thought he was clean

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw an interview with Calvin Smith, former 100m world record holder... more of a documentary really. Smith was one of only two sprinters in the 1988 100m final who had no drugs stink about them whatsoever (before or after). Think the other one was the Brazilian fella Da Silva...

The other 8 sprinters had drug stinks (including Carl Lewis, who is somehow painted as a clean bee - not sure why...) along the line. The interviewer was trying to impress on Calvin that he would have won that race had it been clean... Calvin didn't engage or seem to be convinced... my vibe was that he was taking as well, otherwise why wouldn't these guys be more vocal? If you were clean and lost to a cheat then you'd surely be as pissed as fuck? The same filtered through cycling... when Armstrong got stripped of all those titles, nobody seemed willing to step up and say those were rightfully their titles? They knew the drill and that they were all at it.

Reactions: Federberg

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Said before, will say it again. Drugs should be legal in every sport but juiced players play and complete in the Juiced leagues, like JNBA or J Olympics. They have to sign a killer waiver of course that they will not sue the league if they die on the field. I am genuinely interested in the limits of human body enhanced with the best chemicals we can provide. It is only unfair when juiced players compete against clean ones. That is no good. But having said that, I would not mind watching a game at the end of each year between the champions of NBA and the JNBA. Good entertainment :), like a Super cup !

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Said before, will say it again. Drugs should be legal in every sport but juiced players play and complete in the Juiced leagues, like JNBA or J Olympics. They have to sign a killer waiver of course that they will not sue the league if they die on the field. I am genuinely interested in the limits of human body enhanced with the best chemicals we can provide. It is only unfair when juiced players compete against clean ones. That is no good. But having said that, I would not mind watching a game at the end of each year between the champions of NBA and the JNBA. Good entertainment :), like a Super cup !
I would rather that didn't happen, but I'll say this about Ben Johnson... the fact that we later found out that 6 of the 8 finalists were doping at some point or another has always made me look at his malfeasance in a slightly more sympathetic way

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I would rather that didn't happen, but I'll say this about Ben Johnson... the fact that we later found out that 6 of the 8 finalists were doping at some point or another has always made me look at his malfeasance in a slightly more sympathetic way
But aren't you interested even a little bit what the limits of the human body can be? I mean we improve everything, don't we? The shoes , the surfaces, even more aerodynamic clothing...
To me, as long as the playing field is even, I am cool.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
But aren't you interested even a little bit what the limits of the human body can be? I mean we improve everything, don't we? The shoes , the surfaces, even more aerodynamic clothing...
To me, as long as the playing field is even, I am cool.

I disagree. If they all juice they are all fake athletes in my book and the ones that win are possibly the ones whose bodies are predisposed to reap the biggest benefits from the drugs.

Line 2 guys of same age and similar physical condition, give them the same exact PED's in type and amount and I imagine one benefits a decent amount more from the juice.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I disagree. If they all juice they are all fake athletes in my book and the ones that win are possibly the ones whose bodies are predisposed to reap the biggest benefits from the drugs.

Line 2 guys of same age and similar physical condition, give them the same exact PED's in type and amount and I imagine one benefits a decent amount more from the juice.
You are at least a little bit curious to see a match between the winners of NBA and JNBA? Admit it ! :yoda: