Djokovic's forehand

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
I don't have a clue why this is happening or when he actually started doing it, but sometimes, when Djokovic hits a topsin forehand he does a follow-through ALMOST like Nadal. You can see it, for example, a few times in his match against Querrey or even in the Wimledon final. It's really freaking me out and I wanted to hear your thoughts on this. :nono
I mean, don't get the wrong idea, I understand he might want to add new elements to his game, but I never would have thought that anyone would even attempt to copy that shot :D

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If it gives more rotation to his top spin then why not? I've always been amazed by how good Nole's forehand is given how flat he seems to hit it. If this makes it a higher percentage shot then all the better! It might be designed to push Rafa deeper into his backhand corner, although I confess I haven't observed this new action..

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
federberg said:
If it gives more rotation to his top spin then why not? I've always been amazed by how good Nole's forehand is given how flat he seems to hit it. If this makes it a higher percentage shot then all the better! It might be designed to push Rafa deeper into his backhand corner, although I confess I haven't observed this new action..

Well, although Rafa is one of, if not my favourite player, but if this was designed for what you said, from now on we might be watching 2011 all over again :D But from what I've seen, the shot still looks kind of hurried and apparently, Nole doesn't put half of the strenght in it as Rafa does, so I guess it's still in development.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
The Big Bad Wolf said:
I don't have a clue why this is happening or when he actually started doing it, but sometimes, when Djokovic hits a topsin forehand he does a follow-through ALMOST like Nadal. You can see it, for example, a few times in his match against Querrey or even in the Wimledon final. It's really freaking me out and I wanted to hear your thoughts on this. :nono
I mean, don't get the wrong idea, I understand he might want to add new elements to his game, but I never would have thought that anyone would even attempt to copy that shot :D

This is has been going on for years. Even Federer does it. It is generally done when there is no other option, and a player is rushed or a shot is coming right at their chest.

Borg and Vilas did this 35 years ago.

Nadal is a little bit different in that he does it on purpose.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm pretty sure he'll never be able to get Rafa-like rotation on it. Fed is a master of spin, and he's nowhere near Rafa's level when it comes to top spin. I think his forehand is definitely a more effective weapon against Rafa's backhand than Nole's (although he's not really able to alter the dynamic of their exchanges long enough to make it count!). But in Nole's case, if he's just able to force Rafa's strike zone on the backhand side further behind the baseline it has to be a massive advantage. But the proof is in the pudding. Are you saying this is a new development since RG? If not it clearly wasn't working well there

F

Fastgrass

The Big Bad Wolf said:

Yeah I observed it too. He was making those frequently in 2013 (Example, tournaments like MC, Wimbledon DG Final, Montreal SF I clearly remembers)

I don't believe he's trying to make any modifications but His forehand after 2011 has faulty mechanics pops up strongly in random tournaments. His forehand is no longer reliable like it was in 2011 or before it. It's not huge weapon like 2011 neither he has better control on it. but it can be taken as decline in shot making skills Evey normal player suffer after peak.

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
federberg said:
I'm pretty sure he'll never be able to get Rafa-like rotation on it. Fed is a master of spin, and he's nowhere near Rafa's level when it comes to top spin. I think his forehand is definitely a more effective weapon against Rafa's backhand than Nole's (although he's not really able to alter the dynamic of their exchanges long enough to make it count!). But in Nole's case, if he's just able to force Rafa's strike zone on the backhand side further behind the baseline it has to be a massive advantage. But the proof is in the pudding. Are you saying this is a new development since RG? If not it clearly wasn't working well there
Well, to be honest, I watched the RG final and I don't recall him doing it there, but now, judging by the percentage of the shot, I don't think it is the way he wants it, almost as if he was pushed to do it, just as the others said.

K

Kenneth

The Big Bad Wolf said:

No Rafa at the US open but his forehand is present. ;) I think players just look what works and apply the techniques + tennis is not dancing so you can't really say he copied the moves.