Djokovic on Coaching...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So, Boris Becker, like the idiot that he is, let a cat out of the bag. Apparently, he and Djokovic have a way of communicating on the court...

THE HORROR~! I know. Call the authorities immediately.

Novak, typically, was asked about this, and he stated that said practice is "common among professionals."

‘I don’t think that we’re cheating.

‘I don’t think that’s how you can call it.

‘I mean, there are special ways of communication — as he (Becker) mentioned, the way you look at each other, the way you feel your box, and box feels what you’re going through on the court.'

Now, to me, this is non news. I long maintained in the wake of all the "OMG Rafa and Toni are such cheaters" that EVERY player does this. Whether it's signals, speaking in a foreign language masked as words of encouragement or whatever, coaching is a part of the game.

I've sat behind David Ferrer's player box once in Dubai, and you wouldn't believe the degree of coaching that was taking place (maybe it's a Spanish thing).

Now, Becker is a moron for publicly stating this, but hopefully this gives us a perspective that is more in line with reality, and less unrealistically idealistic. These players have millions on the line, legacy, bragging rights, etc... If they feel coaching helps, even if it's just psychological, they'll take it. In fact, Djokovic alludes to that in the article which I'll link below.

Oh, and in an attempt to get on my good side, Djokovic says something right out of the Broken_Shoelace posting archive:

'But again, we can’t pretend like that’s not happening in tennis.'

'Of course, there’s situations when it happens and not just with the top players, with everybody.'

‘There are times when the team of the player communicates with the player when he goes to take the towel in the corner, which is closer to the box, or different ways.'

So what do you know, a professional tennis player who's been on tour forever and is the current number one has less skewed nonsensical views about coaching (not to mention more accurate) and its effects than forum warriors. I for one, am shocked.

But the real question is, of course... CAN NOVAK DO IT ON HIS OWN? :snicker

Good man, Novak. You continue your (most likely unsuccessful) march towards winning my heart (but you've won Fiero's heart and that's all that matters).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3142125/Novak-Djokovic-denies-cheating-claims-coach-Boris-Becker-reveals-eve-Wimbledon-communicates-world-No-1-matches.html

BalaryKar

Futures Player
Reactions
If the Becker's words came out of Toni's mouth!!! Imagine the chaos :D

The last time Nole camp, Nole's father in particular, bragged about Nadal not being friends in loss, yes those 7/7 finals, in 2013, Nadal silenced Nole in the HC season. Now, Becker tells something which he was not supposed to say!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^:laydownlaughing
fair enough! I don't have to like it, but it is what it is!
For me the most eggregious example I've ever seen was watching Henin lose to Bartoli at Wimbledon. Henin was like a deer in the headlights and looked at her box for salvation at every opportunity. I lost all respect for her that day. It wasn't like a liked her anyway (never forgave her for raising her hand then claiming she didn't at RG versus Serena). When a player with such a beautiful one hander isn't supported by me, you can tell it's real contempt! :snicker

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Surely becoming a liability for Novak. Didn't see much evidence of the mental aspect he's supposed to have brought to the table at RG :nono If you're making your boss answer difficult questions before a major event, what use are you?