Djokovic about to pass Nadal on the GOAT rankings

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Busted said:
Damn. Why not just throw Nadal under the bus? I'm no Nadal fan, but even I think that without the French Open title Nole can't seriously be part of the GOAT conversation. I'm not even sure I'd put him in the Top 5 let alone the Top 2-3.

Out of curiosity, do you think that Pete Sampras is out of the GOAT conversation because he never got a FO? And remember that Novak has been MUCH better at the FO than Pete ever was...although of course the courts are more homogenous now than they were in the 90s.

Or what about Roger before 2009? He didn't have a FO title but no one would have said he wasn't a GOAT candidate.

Roger and Novak, unlike Sampras, played against the best clay-court player of all-time. The FO was ripe for the taking in the 90s - eight different players won it! - but Pete could just never do it. But consider that if Rafa had become a fisherman, Roger would probably have 3-4 more FO titles and Novak probably a couple.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
El Dude said:
Busted said:
Damn. Why not just throw Nadal under the bus? I'm no Nadal fan, but even I think that without the French Open title Nole can't seriously be part of the GOAT conversation. I'm not even sure I'd put him in the Top 5 let alone the Top 2-3.

Out of curiosity, do you think that Pete Sampras is out of the GOAT conversation because he never got a FO? And remember that Novak has been MUCH better at the FO than Pete ever was...although of course the courts are more homogenous now than they were in the 90s.

Or what about Roger before 2009? He didn't have a FO title but no one would have said he wasn't a GOAT candidate.

Roger and Novak, unlike Sampras, played against the best clay-court player of all-time. The FO was ripe for the taking in the 90s - eight different players won it! - but Pete could just never do it. But consider that if Rafa had become a fisherman, Roger would probably have 3-4 more FO titles and Novak probably a couple.

True enough, all you say is correct, but even without a FO, I give Sampras all due credit and easily put him near the TOP for "all time!" Both Pete and Roger should have an asterisk next to their names for different reasons unfortunately, but I still have them neck and neck for the GOAT! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :cover

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Everyone has to work hard to be competitive, no doubts about it.
But besides to work hard they try different tactics too. I saw Rafa going to net more than usually and also more aggressive, his weak shot? still the serve :s

You keep bragging about his serve, but you overlook something as important. Rafa's return of serve has deteriorated also. He has more things on his plate to work on if he wants to get better.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Carol35 said:
Everyone has to work hard to be competitive, no doubts about it.
But besides to work hard they try different tactics too. I saw Rafa going to net more than usually and also more aggressive, his weak shot? still the serve :s

You keep bragging about his serve, but you overlook something as important. Rafa's return of serve has deteriorated also. He has more things on his plate to work on if he wants to get better.

And you keep bragging about his game, he is doing better (including his returns) and he is going to do much better but I hope the serve too