Davydenko on current generation..

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Article from last July 2022:

Excerpt:
The current top players, apart from Djokovic and Nadal, "are technically not good," said Davydenko. "It's gotten more physical - strong serves, hard groundstrokes - but we still see that Nadal and Djokovic can control the new generation. They're still winning slams and beating guys ten years younger than them, which is amazing." , said the 41-year-old. "Anyway, I don't feel that the new generation is playing at an incredible level."

However, he had words of praise for Carlos Alcaraz: "He's the new Spanish Terminator! I think he has a great team with Juan Carlos Ferrero as his coach. If he stays injury-free, Alcaraz will have an incredible career."

By technical does Davydenko mean netplay, strategy during a match, etc?.

I’m reminded when 40+ old Tom Brady was asked about QB and paraphrasing was saying at his experience level there wasnt a defensive scheme opposing teams threw at him and that he hadn't seen before. Nadal & Novak have gone through these big match scenarios so many times with so many different types of opponents…

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That may be true of NextGen, but Alcaraz--and Rune--are of a different cohort. As Davydenko says, Alcaraz is different, and I'd put Rune in a similar category.

So there's a big drop with LostGen, a half-step back up with Next Gen, and then a full step up with the younger guys, or at least those two.

Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan