Non Big 4 Top 4 ranked players in the current era

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Now that Kei Nishikori reaches a new milestone next week, breaking into the top 4 for the first time, I am doing a quick review of those players who crashed the party since the Big 4 domination started, on 8 September 2008, when they occupied for the first time the top 4 places in the ranking. I will list them in the order of how many weeks stayed in the top 4 and not by chronological order:

1. Stan Wawrinka 51 weeks in total
22 weeks as #3
29 weeks as #4
2. David Ferrer 49 weeks in total
19 weeks as #3
30 weeks as #4
3. Robin Soderling 13 weeks as #4
4. Juan Martin De Potro 6 weeks as #4

So Kei will join this small group and the obvious questions are, how many weeks he can stay there and if he will keep on climbing eventually even further.
Considering his age, he just turned 25, so he is 2 and a half years younger than Nole and Andy, chances are he has more upside left still.
Also the question will be how he manages this new status mentally.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What about Davy? He for sure was #4 or #3 at one time? Was that before big four time?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
What about Davy? He for sure was #4 or #3 at one time? Was that before big four time?

Yes. Davy, Roddick, etc. have ben there in the Fedal era. The 3-4 places were available until that date post USO 2008.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is amazing that the list is so short. Just four before Kei.

We really need to give more props to the Man and the Little Beast for staying there
that long as well.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ferrer is just amazing. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought his decline had started but in just the first two months of the year he has three titles, two on hard courts. Maybe I should start a thread just for Ferrer. :cool: He deserves a lot more recognition.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Ferrer is just amazing. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought his decline had started but in just the first two months of the year he has three titles, two on hard courts. Maybe I should start a thread just for Ferrer. :cool: He deserves a lot more recognition.

It is what is called professionalism. This guy is really amazing. He added new aspects to his game at age 32, he is going to the net more and more. He might not be the most talented of the bunch, but he does not lack in the area of doing everything right to give himself most chances for wins and heart. Admirable really!!!:clap

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
As for the thread, do it Kirijax. Most people here don't care about any other player except the usual suspects, but I think that there would be enough people interested in tracking his progress this year, sort of like your thread about Tomas. I find it interesting anyway. :cool: