Davis Cup

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Belgium upset the Germans, as Steve Darcis beat Sasha Zverev in 4. That's a surprise. Seems the Zverev boys are having a post-AO letdown. Bautista Agut is within one set of evening Spain with Croatia to take it to a decider, another surprise, even if Spain pulls it out. Argentina v. Italy suspended due to rain.

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
Serbia vs Spain in the quarterfinals.

Will Djokovic and Nadal play?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serbia vs Spain in the quarterfinals.

Will Djokovic and Nadal play?
Interesting question. It'll be played after Wimbledon, probably, so it may depend on how that goes, and each may try to guess if the other is playing. Personally, I don't think either really should. Spain should be able to get along without Nadal, if Serbia plays without Novak. Though I never thought they'd have to go 5 to get past this Croatian team.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read the D.C. tie Spain/ Serbia will be April 7 to 9

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting question. It'll be played after Wimbledon, probably, so it may depend on how that goes, and each may try to guess if the other is playing. Personally, I don't think either really should. Spain should be able to get along without Nadal, if Serbia plays without Novak. Though I never thought they'd have to go 5 to get past this Croatian team.

Lol, talking about a self-serving comment. There you have your explanation why Novak and the Serbian team are probably thinking he should play.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well, that´s what kills Davis Cup. We have a prospect of a DjokovicxNadal match, which would be nothing less than fantastic, and we have a good chance that it doesn´t happen because neither of them shows up. Maybe one, but still...

I know it is still interesting, I know that there is a lot of other good players to watch, but guess what will be written in the first lines of any article written about it....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol, talking about a self-serving comment. There you have your explanation why Novak and the Serbian team are probably thinking he should play.
You misunderstand me...I don't only root for Spain, and I'm not necessarily fussed that they win DC again. I have several nations I root for, including my own. I root for Nadal, and if he doesn't need to put his body through a DC 2nd round, I don't want him too. And if Novak feels the best thing for his singles is to skip DC, as I fan, I would think you'd prefer it.
Well, that´s what kills Davis Cup. We have a prospect of a DjokovicxNadal match, which would be nothing less than fantastic, and we have a good chance that it doesn´t happen because neither of them shows up. Maybe one, but still...

I know it is still interesting, I know that there is a lot of other good players to watch, but guess what will be written in the first lines of any article written about it....
They haven't said they're not showing up yet, but you can see my argument above for why I'd prefer if Rafa didn't play any more DC. Sure, it would be the match of the whole next round, but I think you can expect only so much from the superstars. Plus, it would mean more as a SF or F. Then I think they'd play.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^Yes, I expect only so much from the superstars...

BTW Italy just beat Argentina, and much to my dislike Fognini gave the final point to Italy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Yes, I expect only so much from the superstars...

BTW Italy just beat Argentina, and much to my dislike Fognini gave the final point to Italy.
Yes, sorry about your Argentina. That one went the way I thought: close, but Italy coming through. As did GBR v Canada, which the Brits won in 3. I'm still shocked about Germany losing to the Belgian bench. Overconfidence? Burnout from the AO?

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
cruel desillusion for Argentina, they both Juan Martin and Frederico to win

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here are the matches for this weekend...Home teams listed first:

Australia v. Czech Republic - Kyrgios is in; Berdych is out
Croatia v. Spain - No Cilic, No Rafa; but the Spanish team is strong
Germany v. Belgium - German team very strong; No Goffin for the Belgians
USA v. Switzerland - Strong US team; No Roger, no Stan for the Swiss
Argentina v. Italy - No Delpo; this should be close...Italy team is probably better, but ARG has home court
Japan v. France - No Kei; No Gael or JoWil, but French team is much stronger
Canada v. Great Britain - No Milos; No Andy
Serbia v. Russia - Djokovic is playing, backed by some good players

I think the most competitive will be Argentina/Italy and Canada/Great Britain

And I think it sucks that Argentina the 2016 champion and last year's finalist, Croatia have had to play in the opening round vs Italy and Spain. They should both be given a Bye to the next round. To add insult to injury, both now have to play qualifying ties just to get into 2018.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think I also heard that the ITF president has proposed that they play the ties across 2 days, not 3. It's a proposal, and I think it has to be ratified, which I think happens next summer.

I get the shortening of the format, too. They want to entice the top players. Men playing best 3 of 5 is becoming a dinosaur.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray won't play DC tie vs France, he's got an elbow strain
Nole"ll play vs Spain, l'Equipe confirmed today

Last edited:

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Team nominations out today: http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/256653.aspx

World Group:

Australia hosting USA
Australia: Nick Kyrgios, Jordan Thompson, Sam Groth, John Peers
USA: Jack Sock, John Isner, Sam Querrey, Steve Johnson

Kyrgios is motivated and playing well recently, both in doubles and singles. Still, big server Isner has a puncher's chance to beat him in singles, and a Sock-Isner or Sock-Johnson team could take the doubles rubber too (likely against Kyrgios-Peers). Sock should win his non-Kyrgios singles match.
Prediction: USA wins nailbiter 3-2

Belgium hosting Italy
Belgium: David Goffin, Steve Darcis, Ruben Bemelmans, Joris De Loore
Italy: Paolo Lorenzi, Fabio Fognini, Andreas Seppi, Simone Bolelli

Belgium is rightly favored to win, as Goffin is the best player there by a decent margin. But he still needs support from the rest of his team to get over the finish line. And the Italian team does play well when wearing the azzurro.
Prediction: Italy pulls off the upset, 3-2 (losing both Goffin singles rubbers)

France hosting GB:
France: Lucas Pouille, Gilles Simon, Nicolas Mahut, Pierre Hugues-Herbert
GB: Dan Evans, Kyle Edmund, Jamie Murray, Dominic Inglot

Should be little doubt about who is playing singles/doubles for each team here. Strength against strength in doubles could go either way, but France's singles performance should get the W for them.
Prediction: France wins 4-1

Serbia hosting Spain
Serbia: Novak Djokovic, Viktor Troicki, Dusan Lajovic, Nenad Zimonjic
Spain: Pablo Carreno Busta, Albert-Ramos-Vinolas, Marcel Granollers, Marc Lopez

This will be more interesting than it looks on paper. Djoko should win both of his singles rubbers easily enough, but he's not the strongest doubles player in the world and a PCB-M Lopez team could get a W there. This tie will likely come down to how Troicki can do against Ramos-Vinolas or Granollers. Almost a coin flip tie, but I like the Spanish team's solidarity.
Prediction: Spain wins 3-2

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I usually agree with your posts, delPoFearhand, but this time I only agree with France over GB. Let´s see...

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Eh, a lot of these are really hard to pick. I could see them going the other way, but as you said we'll see.