Coaching during match

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I have NEVER seen any player get coaching during the match like Alcaraz from JCF. I know that it's "allowed" when the player is in the same corner as the coach, but can someone explain to me the actual limitations, if any? On ESPN, Mary Jo Hernandez was translating the coaching comments since she was sitting nearby, and JCF was even telling Alacaraz where to serve on certain points. I think Carlos is immensely talented on his own and doesn't need coaching 24/7 during the match---thoughts??

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^^Exactly. I commented something on these lines during the match. I was watching on TV, good transmission, loud volume, I could hear Ferrero talking basically all the time (btw, Ferrero fan here, always liked the guy).

Even when Alcaraz was on the other side of the court Ferrero was coaching his serve direction. At some point TV cameras showed him pointing his finger to the wide serve on the add court, and Alcaraz duly followed the advice.

It is all probably within the rules: they are right, and being smart, playing by the book in its full extent. Having said that, I don't like what I see.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^^Exactly. I commented something on these lines during the match. I was watching on TV, good transmission, loud volume, I could hear Ferrero talking basically all the time (btw, Ferrero fan here, always liked the guy).

Even when Alcaraz was on the other side of the court Ferrero was coaching his serve direction. At some point TV cameras showed him pointing his finger to the wide serve on the add court, and Alcaraz duly followed the advice.

It is all probably within the rules: they are right, and being smart, playing by the book in its full extent. Having said that, I don't like what I see.
While allowed, I mainly think it’s a sign of weakness that some players (Alcaraz, in this instance) can’t problem-solve on their own. To use your guy, Federer, as an example — I don’t recall ever seeing him getting coached during a match. He barely even looked at his box. If there was a problem coming from across the net, he worked it out himself, which allowed him to gain in confidence: “I can do this by myself. I don’t need someone to hold my hand to the finish line.”

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While allowed, I mainly think it’s a sign of weakness that some players (Alcaraz, in this instance) can’t problem-solve on their own. To use your guy, Federer, as an example — I don’t recall ever seeing him getting coached during a match. He barely even looked at his box. If there was a problem coming from across the net, he worked it out himself, which allowed him to gain in confidence: “I can do this by myself. I don’t need someone to hold my hand to the finish line.”
I think that's fair, as long as you are comparing baby Roger to Alcaraz. Remember that Roger was Carlos's age in 2001...crazy to think about. The twin towers were still up when Roger turned 20.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennis is an individual sport, I feel it should not encourage outside influence while action is taking place on court. Players have a game plan from their respective coach before their matches, it is up to a player to execute the game plan on court, or be able to change tactics if their game is not working. Coaching ' only spoon feeds players' at this level a player has to work things out one court by themselves.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Genie is out of the bottle, and I don't see you putting it back in. Especially for younger players who only know this.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I have NEVER seen any player get coaching during the match like Alcaraz from JCF. I know that it's "allowed" when the player is in the same corner as the coach, but can someone explain to me the actual limitations, if any? On ESPN, Mary Jo Hernandez was translating the coaching comments since she was sitting nearby, and JCF was even telling Alacaraz where to serve on certain points. I think Carlos is immensely talented on his own and doesn't need coaching 24/7 during the match---thoughts??
This is why they need to intervene and destroy this ridiculous luxury. Players who can’t think for themselves on court lose. That’s the Darwinian aspect of sport. What if Carlos had a feel for the serve to go elsewhere? He doesn’t need to waste energy squabbling about it if he gets it wrong. In fact, he’ll learn better that way.

We’ll see the rise of glory hunting coaches like Patrick Mouthpiece, who’ll talk about the players as if they’re mere puppets on a string, led to success only by the coaches wisdom. Coach might as well sit there with a joystick.

It’s men’s singles. Full stop.