Sock Flashback in Miami: I Don't Need A New Coaching Voice

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

At the Miami Open this year, the day before his showdown with Rafael Nadal, I asked Jack Sock if he felt secure with Troy Hahn as his coach or if he needed to add a new coach, a new voice, who has experience at the ATP World Tour level. Here is the exchange…

Q. You’re obviously really close to beating those top guys. Do you think you’re ready to do it right now, or do you think you might need a little extra advice from maybe some kind of coach who really knows exactly what it takes to beat those guys?

JACK SOCK: I think it’s there. I’ve had chances in the past against some of those guys. No, I don’t think I need any more time. I think I’m ready to beat them.

I think it takes a great match obviously on my end. That’s where their experience kicks in. What I’m trying to do with some of the younger guys now, they’ve been doing it for ten plus years now – a lot of them.

Experience definitely is an advantage for them in some of those situations were tennis-wise I think I’m definitely ready to beat them.

——————

Of course, Sock was wrong as he lost to Nadal in straight sets in Miami and again on red clay in Rome. Sock also lost yesterday to Jiri Vesely in straight sets and is out of Roland Garros. Clearly, Sock miscalculated his capacity and now the question looms again. Is it time for Sock to make a coaching change – or at least keep Troy Hahn and add a co-coach, such as a former player who has played and beaten some of today’s top ten ATP standouts, with James Blake, Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick being the most worthy candidates of being added to Team Sock.

Is Sock’s loyalty and devotion to Hahn stifling his career and his progress as a professional player? Does Hahn really know what it takes to strategize against players well beyond his own playing level?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Sock has definitely hit a stagnation point. Sometimes change is necessary.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
If Agassi doesn't last with Djokovic, Sock should hire Agassi asap.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
He actually does work hard. I have been told that by his former fitness coach who is now with Tiafoe. He was shoddy at training years ago but changed it before 2015. Fitness is not the issue. It's receiving top level coaching advice. Sock is a strong minded guy like his pal Kyrgios and they both like to play and run their careers THEIR WAY. Free spirits do not respond well to authority. Rios, young Agassi, Safin, etc.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure the Agassi/Djokovic combo will be anything other than a short term relationship. I think Agassi (and Sampras, if he ever feels the inclination to get involved with side of the tour) would both be better off feeling out the coaching side of things out with a player based in North America.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Catherine I agree Agassi will be ultra selective who he decides to work with - Lendl turned down Berdych who was top ten - these super legend coaches are only interested in players that can win majors and be no 1. I don't see Agassi working with Sock because though he is capable of winning a GS it's very unlikely at this point.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Why not Sock with Fish? Fish had a great backhand. Fish helped Harrison a few years ago. It's strange how Fish Roddick Spadea and Blake are not called on. Agassi Chang and Pete don't seem too interested in helping USA tennis either. USA Tennis needs to stick together. I enjoy Sock's expressions on court whatever they are anything is better than a stoic android player.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Britbox: Andre and Djokovic is an unknown regarding how they connect and hit it off. To both meet and get to know each other in a hurricane like Roland Garros is not the best way to create a chemistry. Whatever happens we outsiders will probably never know the truth if they don't stay together.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Coric was really really upset by this loss. He should have shown respect to what Johnson was going through. I guess Coric really had big expectations for himself and feels he let this one off the hook but Johnson is an underrated player by fans the press and also other players I guess.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Tsonga lost to Renzo Olivo who I watched at Sarasota Open two years ago. I think Olivo beat Russell he definitely caught my attention and now finally he's breaking out. Haven't had one of these shock losses by a top player to a total obscurity in years at a GS. Very rare. Olivo was 0-6 in his last six ATP Tour level matches.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Gaurang; It's Gambill who is Donaldson's coach. Pete said in an interview last year he wasn't interested in coaching a player but he also left the door open to the possibility saying "I wouldn't rule it out." I can see Pete wanting to be back into the scene at some point just to be a part of the Tour again and to relive the wonderful experience that it was. I think Pete is getting that itch and that comment about not ruling it out shows that Pete is interested. Agassi also is seeing how his rivals Becker, Goran and Chang are enjoying being a part of the Tour again and it's easy to see Andre being back involved in tennis again.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@britbox Guys, reading Scoop´s responses in this thread it was obvious that there was something else going on, checked out and those are (as expected) the responses to the comments of his blog at Tennis-Prose Home. As a suggestion, to make it easier to forum regulars to know what is going on, is it possible to include a warning on those posts, like "blog comment response", with a link to the original blog? This might help/stimulate forum users to go directly to the comments box (helping merge the two communities).

Course we could have a specific thread absorbing all blog comments -- thus forcing those comments to come through the board, but it might interfere with something that it is already working fine for a group. Maybe creating an option to answer through the board (yeah, it is spurious, as it leads to the same result, but users like freedom) could naturally attract commenters to the boards...

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Berdych has struggled all year. The real sign that he is off this year was blowing that huge lead of like 61 52 to Nishioka in IW. That was devastating and it showed Berdych is not the force he used to be. Since that loss he has not scored any memorable big wins. He had the great battle with Federer in Miami but he fell just short. Berdych could be damaged goods now and on the slow gradual fade away. Khachanov is a future top ten player and only getting better by the month. Khachanov is coached by Galo Blanco who helpd put Raonic on the map.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Or Lendl didn't believe Berdych has what is needed to win a GS in this day and age. Legends like Lendl are not going to waste their time on a player they don't believe in.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
I think that loss to Federer really killed Berd. He had the mps and that kind of win would have really boosted his lowered confidence. He needed that win. Berdych should consider doubles and mixed doubles for a change of pace and routine.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Dan; you can "see Anderson winning the French Open if he didn't have to play Rafa?" Did he look that good today beating Nick? Or you been drinking tonight? :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Korda got to 2 in the world and was very close to being 1. Great player who could battle tooth and nail with Pete Sampras and all the elites of that era. He also won a doubles major. Yes I would call Petr Korda a legend. And I highly doubt he was the only top player of that era to use a PED.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Love Cornet when she starts with her basket case and fake injury routines. What a diva! She needs to give Raonic some of her emotional energy. Svitolina is a warrior. Ever since she was 18 and down 60 51 to Larcher De Brito at US Open qualies and then fought back to win I knew this girl was very special.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Catherine; Sharapova is twice the legend that Korda is. But she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar and her legacy will forever be tainted by it.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Andrew: I spoke with Korda last month about possibly playing an exo with Rios for the 10 yr anniversary of their Aus Open final and he was dead set against it. He does not like Rios for trying to start that campaign last year to strip Korda of his title and he added that he knows a lot of very bad dirt on Rios and named one particular ugly incident that I had not heard about. Perhaps Rios dropped that campaign because of fear of Korda's retaliation of mud slinging.