Off-Court Coaching Trial Announced For Second Half Of 2022 Season

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
What is this? They’re legalising coaches dodgy hand signals and neck twitches which really mean, “hit to his backhand, you bloody doofus!”

I’m not in favour. I think once the players are out there, it’s between them, and them only…
I agree problem solving & working it out themselves is part of the sport

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Help me have the ATP lost their minds...they are now joining the 'dark side' like the WTA have.Sad day for tennis quite frankly
Oh well The Young Greek will be happy he has suggested on more than one occasion that the ATP should allow coaching.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Help me have the ATP lost their minds...they are now joining the 'dark side' like the WTA have.Sad day for tennis quite frankly
Oh well The Young Greek will be happy he has suggested on more than one occasion that the ATP should allow coaching.
Exactly! I was just thinking of that pampered halfwit. He’ll spend more time eating instructions from daddy than playing. Hopefully after this thing is trialed it’ll be consigned to the bin…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly! I was just thinking of that pampered halfwit. He’ll spend more time eating instructions from daddy than playing. Hopefully after this thing is trialed it’ll be consigned to the bin…
Those 2 have become the 'clowns' of the ATP tennis tour quite frankly, lets hope this so call trial flops and like you said be consigned to the bin, a very large bin.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Those 2 have become the 'clowns' of the ATP tennis tour quite frankly, lets hope this so call trial flops and like you said be consigned to the bin, a very large bin.
it’s funny, but a lot of the things that make mens tennis so great get questioned all the time. Like, I still wouldn’t have a tiebreak in the fifth. I’d still have best of five finals in MS tournaments. I don’t see any reason to allow let chord serves count. The men’s game is magnificent, producing so many classic matches over the last 20 years.

This one is an attempt to break the fourth wall, which is catastrophic, I think, because I think it will distract both players and fans alike, it dumbs down the match, will create unnecessary sensationalism, and is also a huge concession to cheats like Tsitsipas…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
it’s funny, but a lot of the things that make mens tennis so great get questioned all the time. Like, I still wouldn’t have a tiebreak in the fifth. I’d still have best of five finals in MS tournaments. I don’t see any reason to allow let chord serves count. The men’s game is magnificent, producing so many classic matches over the last 20 years.

This one is an attempt to break the fourth wall, which is catastrophic, I think, because I think it will distract both players and fans alike, it dumbs down the match, will create unnecessary sensationalism, and is also a huge concession to cheats like Tsitsipas…
We are on the same page, I still think they should be a best of five in MS tournaments, call me old fashioned I guess, I hate t/breaks full stop especially in fifth set, I have always brought up the 'let chord' in tennis, then got shouted down about it.lol!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We are on the same page, I still think they should be a best of five in MS tournaments, call me old fashioned I guess, I hate t/breaks full stop especially in fifth set, I have always brought up the 'let chord' in tennis, then got shouted down about it.lol!
Yeah I don’t set the benefit of doing away with let chord rule on serve. It’s minimal at best (and actually might have a negative effect on serves) but actually a let serve moment creates it’s own drama…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I just had a thought, help me if they changed the slams to the 'best of 3' sets.....that will be the day I will give up watching tennis period.
That has been suggested, horribly enough, by people who should know better. And also by people who think if both men and women play best of 3 until the quarters and five sets after in the slams, it’ll be magnificent for equality! And great for the fans!

I really don’t think these people like tennis…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I just had a thought, help me if they changed the slams to the 'best of 3' sets.....that will be the day I will give up watching tennis period.
Same. That would throw the entire history of the sport into disarray. We’d have guys with 30+ majors if winning them is the same as winning a best-of-3 Masters 1000.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Tie break in the fifth is a bad change up. Especially a 10 point tb. It's no fun watching random matches late in the fifth anymore knowing it will all be over soon due to the tb. The matches going 20-20 where you never knew what was going to happen was real sporting drama it will be missed.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tie break in the fifth is a bad change up. Especially a 10 point tb. It's no fun watching random matches late in the fifth anymore knowing it will all be over soon due to the tb. The matches going 20-20 where you never knew what was going to happen was real sporting drama it will be missed.
Yeah, it’s like a penalty shoot out, is not very satisfactory…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, at least this is just a "trial," and hopefully they'll drop it after the end of the year, if not sooner! Take to twitter, etc. people and tell them you hate it. Even Tennis Channel mentioned Tsitsipas when reporting and debating the new idea. It feels like a concession specific to him. Instead of banning his dad.

As to some of the other changes people mention: I'm also against 5th set/final set TBs at Majors. Particularly at 6-6, which I think they all went to? I was very sorry to see that Roland Garros finally gave into that. And I would like to see B/5 back for the finals at MS.

I still think women should play B/5 at Majors, along with the men. For the reasons everyone says here: it makes for epic matches! @Kieran, I am one of those guilty of suggesting that all the early rounds play B/3, in response to the argument that women playing B/5 would be too unwieldy to the schedule. It was a specific solution to rebut a point, not especially something that I want to see. What I do want to see is women having the right to epic matches. It would also go a ways to squelching the complaint about women getting equal pay, even though I don't believe not playing the same number of sets is a valid one.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, at least this is just a "trial," and hopefully they'll drop it after the end of the year, if not sooner! Take to twitter, etc. people and tell them you hate it. Even Tennis Channel mentioned Tsitsipas when reporting and debating the new idea. It feel like a concession specific to him. Instead of banning his dad.

It’s ridiculous, isn’t it? Like giving into a child throwing a tantrum :facepalm:
As to some of the other changes people mention: I'm also against 5th set/final set TBs at Majors. Particularly at 6-6, which I think they all went to? I was very sorry to see that Roland Garros finally gave into that. And I would like to see B/5 back for the finals at MS.

The crazy thing here is that tennis players are fitter now than ever. And of course, fitness is a big part of the game. You can wear a bloke down in the fifth, long test of nerves and serves like 2009. We lose all that now.
I still think women should play B/5 at Majors, along with the men. For the reasons everyone says here: it makes for epic matches! @Kieran, I am one of those guilty of suggesting that all the early rounds play B/3, in response to the argument that women playing B/5 would be too unwieldy to the schedule. It was a specific solution to rebut a point, not especially something that I want to see. What I do want to see is women having the right to epic matches. It would also go a ways to squelching the complaint about women getting equal pay, even though I don't believe not playing the same number of sets is a valid one.
That’ll be up to the tournaments. Personally I wouldn’t like the men to lose any of their seven best of five matches in a slam to facilitate the women moving to playing some five setters, but I know the courts at some slams might not be able to handle the numbers if the women go to five. I don’t see anything changing in this regard so long as the stadium logistics are against it..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s ridiculous, isn’t it? Like giving into a child throwing a tantrum :facepalm:
100%.

The crazy thing here is that tennis players are fitter now than ever. And of course, fitness is a big part of the game. You can wear a bloke down in the fifth, long test of nerves and serves like 2009. We lose all that now.
Sadly, it's not about player fitness, but about shortening the game. I don't agree with their thinking. Golf is a big-money game, and you spend a good bit of your Sunday just watching players walk along the grass. Don't even get me started on baseball, which is slow AND open-ended...and I love it! Neither matches the drama of a one-on-one tennis match, played to the death. The Tennis Powers that Be are losing the best of the sport in hopes of gaining more viewers. It's short-sighted, IMO.

That’ll be up to the tournaments. Personally I wouldn’t like the men to lose any of their seven best of five matches in a slam to facilitate the women moving to playing some five setters, but I know the courts at some slams might not be able to handle the numbers if the women go to five. I don’t see anything changing in this regard so long as the stadium logistics are against it..
I'm sure there are ways to work around it. Say, for example, that they just slide boys and girls and wheelchair to a bit later. As I said, I'm not for shortening the mens', just that I do feel strongly that women should do B/5. Surely, they are fit enough.

Reactions: Kieran and tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Same. That would throw the entire history of the sport into disarray. We’d have guys with 30+ majors if winning them is the same as winning a best-of-3 Masters 1000.
You'd also have a few more one-offs. All a guy has to do is red-line for 2 sets and he could find his way to the final weekend of a major.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Next they are going to allow "net cords" service. Maybe the trying to usher the big 3 out of the top GS titles.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay I have found the off court coaching rules which will be permitted under the following conditions,

1. Coaches must sit in the tournament's designated coach seats.
2. Coaching ( verbal and non verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent.
3. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court.
4. Non - verbal coaching ( hand signals) is permitted at any time.
5. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words/ or short phrases ( no conversations are permitted)
6. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason.
7. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kieran