Should the ATP try on court coaching?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/04/advice-and-not-much-consent/54570/#.VSfjDPnF9ds

Just read the new article on the Tennis.com website. Amazing to think that on court coaching has been permitted on WTA events for 7 years already. I have never liked it, and even though the WTA seems to be entrenched in it's decision to persist with it, I would love nothing better than for the rule to be discarded. What do others think? Should the ATP trial it as well? The article makes a good point that athletes in other sports are no less manly for getting advice mid-match (you only have to look at boxing), but for me this is what has always attracted me to tennis. It's one of the few sports where you have to work it all out for yourself. Why oh why do officials constantly seek to add their finger prints to the legacy of a sport. In this case I would still argue against it. Thoughts welcome

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Not only would I keep it illegal as I would look for better ways to enforce the current rules.

You said it all: All for yourself.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
Not only would I keep it illegal as I would look for better ways to enforce the current rules.

You said it all: All for yourself.

Yes I completely agree. This is one of the areas where enforcement needs to be bolstered. It's ridiculous the flagrant and persistent abuse that some players and their coaches are allowed to get away with

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/04/advice-and-not-much-consent/54570/#.VSfjDPnF9ds

Just read the new article on the Tennis.com website. Amazing to think that on court coaching has been permitted on WTA events for 7 years already. I have never liked it, and even though the WTA seems to be entrenched in it's decision to persist with it, I would love nothing better than for the rule to be discarded. What do others think? Should the ATP trial it as well? The article makes a good point that athletes in other sports are no less manly for getting advice mid-match (you only have to look at boxing), but for me this is what has always attracted me to tennis. It's one of the few sports where you have to work it all out for yourself. Why oh why do officials constantly seek to add their finger prints to the legacy of a sport. In this case I would still argue against it. Thoughts welcome

On court coaching goes against everything tennis is about. I hope the day never comes where they even consider it for the ATP.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I have to agree. But I must admit I did pause when I thought about the boxing argument. But even so, I think one of the things that makes tennis unique is that you have to figure things out yourself. Can you imagine if Federer had had on court coaching in those RG finals against Rafa? Not that I think it would have made much of a difference, but if it did, I would treasure the victory quite as much

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Absolutely hate the whole idea of on court coaching in WTA and the thought of it ever being in ATP matches would almost make me consider stopping watching tennis. Well probably not but you get the drift. The whole idea sucks. If you haven't the grey matter to work out for yourself what you're doing wrong, play a different sport. It's bad enough there's already blatant coaching going on in ATP matches that some have got away with for years but to make it legal would be a joke.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Yes I agree. You get the sense that the WTA motivation was a case of if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Which is the most ridiculous thing!

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Of course the ATP doesn't need it. Men are generally smarter. :cool:

brace-for-impact-yes-its-anime-get-over-it-impact-brace-demotivational-poster-1271567773.jpg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No, I think they shouldn't tamper with the game in any way, at the moment, and certainly not this...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:
No, I think they shouldn't tamper with the game in any way, at the moment, and certainly not this...

There is one thing they should tamper with that I have mentioned before very recently. You have 3 guesses. ;)

The let in service, right? I'd go with that one. That would speed up the game, which everyone seems to want. Wouldn't on-court coaching slow it down? (I don't know how much time is allowed in the WTA.) I still find it infantilizing of the women. I respect Serena that she has chosen not to use it, for the most part.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm fine with men's tennis as it is. That said...I wouldn't have a problem with implementing on-court coaching.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't understand how the WTA (and some journalists) can try to promote the idea that it isn't demeaning for the women's tour

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mirka is already coaching his husband (she screams when Stan is ready to serve etc...)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

There is one thing they should tamper with that I have mentioned before very recently. You have 3 guesses. ;)

Of course. The two-year ranking. Splendid idea, by the way. Rafa would be #4 now, instead of #5, which seems ridiculous in this antiquated 18th century system we inherited from the British...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

Of course. The two-year ranking. Splendid idea, by the way. Rafa would be #4 now, instead of #5, which seems ridiculous in this antiquated 18th century system we inherited from the British...

Wrong! ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:
1972Murat said:

Wrong! ;)

Okay, my second guess is, more clay events! Alternate the WTF between outdoor clay and indoor clay. This is a good suggestion. As a warm-up, Paris indoors could move to Roland Garros, which is available in November, and they could call it the Paris Outdoors...