Claim of Federer receiving unfair advantage at majors

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Julien Benneteau caused the stir during an interview on French radio station RMC Sport on Sunday in which he said tournament referees were often kinder to Federer when it came to scheduling his matches.

He also suggested Federer’s Laver Cup project, an exhibition team event in which Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley is also involved, represented a conflict of interest.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/a2fa5d5220041b2776891b1e7d43c8af

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
For all the court slowdown, this is a negligible favour. What difference would it make anyway?

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Putting Federer on at night is a business decision more than anything. It will always be that way, he is far more popular than the others and will draw more people. Also it's funny he mentions Djokovic-Monfils without adding context to it. That context being that Djojovic had been playing like ass for 2 years heading into AO and was low-ranked.

Now he did raise an interesting point about the director being hired by Fed's agent as part of the Laver Cup. I agree that is an obvious conflict of interest and should not be allowed. But as for the rest, that is about putting asses in the seats and making that $$$$. Australia has been the only place recently kind to Roger when it comes to the playing surface. They should keep up the good work. Make up for shithead tournament directors at Wimbledon and USO

Reactions: atttomole

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BB, your article was behind a pay wall, but I found it otherwise. Is it just me, or do the French do a lot of complaining about Roger and Rafa? I'm not clear what the point of that was. Especially the conflict of interest with Laver Cup. Is he saying that Roger makes money on tennis? Clutch the pearls!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Putting Federer on at night is a business decision more than anything. It will always be that way, he is far more popular than the others and will draw more people. Also it's funny he mentions Djokovic-Monfils without adding context to it. That context being that Djojovic had been playing like ass for 2 years heading into AO and was low-ranked.

Now he did raise an interesting point about the director being hired by Fed's agent as part of the Laver Cup. I agree that is an obvious conflict of interest and should not be allowed. But as for the rest, that is about putting asses in the seats and making that $$$$. Australia has been the only place recently kind to Roger when it comes to the playing surface. They should keep up the good work. Make up for shithead tournament directors at Wimbledon and USO
I couldn't read the article, so can you explain to me the conflict of interest point? But as to Roger (or Rafa or Novak or Serena, etc.) getting put on the show courts at marquee times, that is not even a question. Someone tell Julien Bennateau that when he's #1 in the world he might get to pick when he wants to play, too.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I couldn't read the article, so can you explain to me the conflict of interest point? But as to Roger (or Rafa or Novak or Serena, etc.) getting put on the show courts at marquee times, that is not even a question. Someone tell Julien Bennateau that when he's #1 in the world he might get to pick when he wants to play, too.

Apparently Roger through his agent hired the AO director to do something with the Laver Cup. If the director is receiving money directly or even indirectly from one of the players you can see why that's a problem.

Reactions: Moxie

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Roger's response to the question
"I get asked, ‘Would you like to play Monday or Tuesday,’ sometimes. Sometimes I get asked, ‘Do you want to play day or night?’ Sometimes they go ask my agent,” he said, according to AFP. “Sometimes they ask me, you know, Asia wants you to play at night. Yes, sometimes we have our say. But I asked to play Monday at the US Open and I played Tuesday night … Sometimes I get help, sometimes I don’t … But a lot of the facts are not right, just to be clear.”

Nole had some words too
“At the end of the day, in a way, he deserves the special treatment because he’s six-time champion of Australian Open and arguably the best player ever,” Djokovic said. “If he doesn’t have it, who is going to have it? … I understand Julien’s point because sometimes it does seem that maybe certain players get more favored year after year in certain tournaments. On the other side, you have to understand … Julien and guys like him are also benefitting from tennis because of Roger, because of what he has done for the sport.”

And this is what Craig Tiley had to say (the said Australian open tournament director)
“It needs to be said that Roger Federer is a once-in-a-generation player widely regarded as one of the biggest box-office athletes in the world,” he wrote. “The fans demand his appearance in the big stadiums and our broadcasters naturally want his matches to air in prime time. And I don’t think there’s a tournament director in the world who’s not going to take those factors into account when setting the schedule.”

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tony the shark...this knickname suits him well... Mr Vavrinec's agent has a bad reputation, not only Julien B noticed it

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BB, your article was behind a pay wall, but I found it otherwise. Is it just me, or do the French do a lot of complaining about Roger and Rafa? I'm not clear what the point of that was. Especially the conflict of interest with Laver Cup. Is he saying that Roger makes money on tennis? Clutch the pearls!

The French are about as sick of Fedal as any of us; Rafa winning in RG & the preferential treatment for both at most ATP events! :whistle:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The French are about as sick of Fedal as any of us; Rafa winning in RG & the preferential treatment for both at most ATP events! :whistle:
One might argue that the French have been sick of Nadal winning RG since 2006. Beyond tennis forums, every allegation or insinuation against Nadal doping has come from the French. Now they're picking on Roger. Can you say "sour grapes" in French? Couldn't have anything to do with all of those talented French players who netted nothing in the Fedal era, right? You might be sick of Fedal, and some others are, too, but you really don't speak for everyone on that, my friend.

Reactions: Fiero425