Becker claiming diplomatic immunity

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Boom Boom claiming diplomatic immunity against bankruptcy proceedings in London. He's become an ambassador to the Central African Republic.

[parsehtml]
<a class="embedly-card" href="https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-becker-diplomatic-immunity-bankruptcy-a8399731.html">Boris Becker claims diplomatic immunity to avoid bankruptcy</a>
[/parsehtml]
Link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-diplomatic-immunity-bankruptcy-a8399731.html

Reactions: Mastoor

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
It is indeed but I always thought that people should live within their means & work things out before doing what Viv Nicholson did & "spend, spend, spending". Mind you, in his position & suddenly becoming very successful through all his hard work (he deserved it) he'd have got to the stage where he had that much money he really didn't know what to do with it & thought "Oh great!" & gone over-board. It's 1 thing getting what you want & need but another just going lush all the time. It's so sad for him to have to come back down to earth.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kind of funny though. It would be interesting to know what is really going on, but it looks like Boom boom is being desperate. How did he get CAR to agree to this?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kind of funny though. It would be interesting to know what is really going on, but it looks like Boom boom is being desperate. How did he get CAR to agree to this?

Don't know but I know he likes poker. Looks like he's playing his hand pretty well. I read somewhere he was in 54 million pounds of debt.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ah ah, too good Boris, too good !!

Horsa

Reactions
Don't know but I know he likes poker. Looks like he's playing his hand pretty well. I read somewhere he was in 54 million pounds of debt.
In that case, I think he needs to start playing strip-poker then he won't be stripped of his money so much. Lol. (Oops! Not good. I'm in danger of losing my prim & proper image).

Reactions: isabelle

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
In that case, I think he needs to start playing strip-poker then he won't be stripped of his money so much. Lol. (Oops! Not good. I'm in danger of losing my prim & proper image).
Yeah, you've lost it now, especially as a woman. :-)2 You should've deleted your post before it was too late...
But seriously, I think Boris is quite unique gambling type fellow among tennis players, who does not understand the odds are against you. Most players are good managing their money during and post career at good odds (like the playing strategy): e.g. setting up various charities to avoid taxes & improve their career PR, then later investing in the tour, improving their post-career PR.

Horsa

Reactions
Yeah, you've lost it now, especially as a woman. :-)2 You should've deleted your post before it was too late...
But seriously, I think Boris is quite unique gambling type fellow among tennis players, who does not understand the odds are against you. Most players are good managing their money during and post career at good odds (like the playing strategy): e.g. setting up various charities to avoid taxes & improve their career PR, then later investing in the tour, improving their post-career PR.
Lol. Us women are equals. :0)

Seriously, I don't think that we really know whether he was more into gambling than the rest but that he put more money into it & was more unlucky. An example to illustrate what I've just said on a different scale & in a different way is in order. Say you've got a man who puts £1 on a horse each way, then you've got a man who puts £100 on an accumulator of horses by the same jockey, the 1st mans horse doesn't get a place, he hasn't lost much, 1 of the 2nd mans horses doesn't win so he loses a lot. They were both unlucky but because the 2nd man put more money down he lost more. (You can win big on accumulators though but if your luck isn't in you can lose big). I'm not a betting woman but a lot of people I know are. I know my example is only small-scale & on a different level to the point being made but it was the best I could think of to prove what I'd just said. Sorry. I didn't know about what you had to say in the last sentence.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
that wasn't from gambling. He entered into some investments with some Nigerian fraudsters apparently. Cleaned him out. For the life of me I don't understand why a lot of these sportsmen find obscure investors to work with. Just go to a Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse or Julius Baer. It might be less exciting but at least you know you'll have something left

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, the ambassador of Central Afr Rep said Boris's passport was false

Reactions: Denis

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Lol. Us women are equals. :0)

Seriously, I don't think that we really know whether he was more into gambling than the rest but that he put more money into it & was more unlucky. An example to illustrate what I've just said on a different scale & in a different way is in order. Say you've got a man who puts £1 on a horse each way, then you've got a man who puts £100 on an accumulator of horses by the same jockey, the 1st mans horse doesn't get a place, he hasn't lost much, 1 of the 2nd mans horses doesn't win so he loses a lot. They were both unlucky but because the 2nd man put more money down he lost more. (You can win big on accumulators though but if your luck isn't in you can lose big). I'm not a betting woman but a lot of people I know are. I know my example is only small-scale & on a different level to the point being made but it was the best I could think of to prove what I'd just said. Sorry. I didn't know about what you had to say in the last sentence.
"PR" means "Public Relations" in my comment above, if that helps you to understand it. But without unnecessary details, I just wanted to say players tend to invest their money wisely into charities and/or back into ATP. Fed, with his foundation and "matches for Africa" and his organising of Laver Cup, is a classic example of a top player who will likely stay on top of comfortable and popular life, for years after he retires from the tour.
Not such luck by Boris. However, Federberg news that Boris did not squander his money by gambling but by a Nigerian scam, changes the first part of my comment. So Boris, in your parlance, gambles on "single horses" and not on "accumulators", and we can blame his naivety rather than addiction for his mishap.

Horsa

Reactions
I know that. I understood what you had to say but wasn't answering to all your comment just part of it. 1 of my eyes does a lot more work than the other so even with my specs on I don't see as well as others & I'm over-due an eye-test. I'm actually a very good reader when I see properly & understand a lot of what I read. If I can't always see properly, how can I read properly. I hate it when I can't read though as my hobbies are reading & typing though I also enjoy singing. I'm a book-worm & couldn't do without books. Life is boring without books. I said my example wasn't the best 1 for scale etc. but it was the nearest 1 I could think of at the time. I don't think you understood where I was coming from. On the original facts using my example but to a bigger scale it would be like Boris being less lucky than others because he risked more (accumulator) rather than others who risked less (single horse). The betting example was to illustrate the fact that there are all different levels of unlucky but the person involved has an element of choice & the more they risk the more they're likely to lose if you catch my drift. Taking into account Federberg's information both our posts are actually irrelevant & don't take into account the facts.
"PR" means "Public Relations" in my comment above, if that helps you to understand it. But without unnecessary details, I just wanted to say players tend to invest their money wisely into charities and/or back into ATP. Fed, with his foundation and "matches for Africa" and his organising of Laver Cup, is a classic example of a top player who will likely stay on top of comfortable and popular life, for years after he retires from the tour.
Not such luck by Boris. However, Federberg news that Boris did not squander his money by gambling but by a Nigerian scam, changes the first part of my comment. So Boris, in your parlance, gambles on "single horses" and not on "accumulators", and we can blame his naivety rather than addiction for his mishap.

Last edited:

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, the ambassador of Central Afr Rep said Boris's passport was false

Yup, he got frauded again it appears. What a complete jackass.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Boris is half nuts

Accurate way to describe it. He is a good tv pundit and a great tennis player, but something is awefully off between the ears in other departments.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Accurate way to describe it. He is a good tv pundit and a great tennis player, but something is awefully off between the ears in other departments.
oh I don't know. No one can blame him for what happened at Nobu ;)