Federer Claims Historic Eighth Wimbledon Title

petertohen

Reactions
Roger Federer stands alone. The Swiss achieved Wimbledon immortality on Sunday, becoming the all-time titles leader at The Championships with a resounding 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Marin Cilic.

Federer notched a record eighth crown at the All England Club, surpassing Pete Sampras for solo first place on the all-time list. The Swiss added to his unprecedented Grand Slam titles haul, lifting a 19th trophy in total and second of the year, having prevailed at the Australian Open in January.

The World No. 5 will ascend two spots to No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on Monday, capping a remarkable return to the Top 3 for the first time in nearly one year. The oldest man to win Wimbledon in the Open Era, the 35 year old added 2000 Emirates ATP Rankings points and £2,200,000 in prize money.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
WOW! Guys!!!!

Have you seen that? Federer won Wimbledon again! We must find highlights on youtube!!!!

Welcome to the boards, petertohen, and don´t mind the kind of fun we have here.

Reactions: Federberg

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be honest, it was rather an underwhelming Slam title. Maybe it is because of the weak final, which paled in comparison to the dramatics of AO, or maybe I'm just a bit jaded - but while I was happy about the win, it didn't feel that special.

Hopefully #20 will feel more special.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be honest, it was rather an underwhelming Slam title. Maybe it is because of the weak final, which paled in comparison to the dramatics of AO, or maybe I'm just a bit jaded - but while I was happy about the win, it didn't feel that special.

Hopefully #20 will feel more special.

I kind of feel the same, a damp squib of a Wimbledon... but will take it. Here's looking forward to the USO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
This Wimbledon was kind of a bore and it was anticlimactic for Federer. But when we look back on this a year from now let alone 10 years from now it will look incredibly impressive that a 36 year old won it so easily.